Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Light Probe Placement Helper

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PhobicGunner, Nov 26, 2012.

1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I must admit, lightprobes are one of those things that make you wonder how the hell you survived without.
    But I really hate that they have to be placed by hand. I REALLY HATE IT. Maybe I'm just a lazy S.O.B., but for levels bigger than a few meters wide, it can get incredibly tedious to place.
    So I thought to myself, "Why not write myself an editor utility to do it for me?"
    So I did. I wrote a utility that allows me to define a collection of AABBs, and for each one of these a probe density (either in Subdivisions when using grid placement, or Number of Probes when using randomized placement). And it'll automatically place the light probes for you. Currently supported are Grid Placement and Random Placement types.
    I hope somebody else can find this useful. Enjoy :)

View attachment $LightProbeHelper.unitypackage

2. fos4o

fos4o

Hi I made some changes that I think can be helpful to others:

- Gizmos for position and scale of the regions (Go to editor move mode to move, and in editor scale mode to scale the boxes)
    - Undo (of movement and scale)

Here it is:
    View attachment $lightprobehelperfos4o.unitypackage

Ony likes this.
  3. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Nice, thanks fos :D

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I just tried (both versions) but it seems as it's failing. Is there an updated version perhaps?

5. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

How is it failing? What version of Unity are you using?

6. zyzyx

zyzyx

7. Poupi

Poupi

Same for me, not working.

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. LightProbeGenEditor.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/LightProbeHelper/Editor/LightProbeGenEditor.cs:33)
    3. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    4. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    6. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    7. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1335)
    8. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:839)
    9. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:728)
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Keep working guys, lightprobes are one of the best features in Unity but the GUI is awfull (UT should work on this).

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

The first version works for me in 4.0

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Fixed script from fos4o
    it works for me know

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  10. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Wow ! I was planning to use Lightprobes but when I saw that they had to be placed manually, I instantly skipped the idea and used expensive IBLs

Thanks a lot for sharing !

11. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Now somebody just needs to add rotation and it'll be perfect.
    I'd do it myself but I have a pretty full plate >.<

12. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

Can't seem to download your attachment. Anyone else having the same trouble?

It takes me to a blank page. The other attachments download fine... odd.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This script seems to work for me, and so does the link to FOS's version.

Using FOS's version, just make sure you have enough data in the correct fields to not only define a volume, but to populate it, including the subdivisions. This script will create a regular grid pattern and ignore the Random Count value when the placement algorithm is set to "Grid". The "Random Count" is only used when "Random" is selected.

This data:

Makes this pattern:

14. eco_bach

eco_bach

Can this be modified to support tetrahedral as opposed to grid placement?

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm sure it can be. It's only an editor script. It's been modified already by the users in this thread. You will just have to work out the alternating offset yourself.

16. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just curious why the lightprobe component not integrate/include similiar tool for probe placing?

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, everyone's game is different. To be honest, you don't need light probes in a grid and to do so is somewhere between overkill and bad for performance. What's best is light probes on the boundary of lighting changes. One on one side of the change and another just on the other side. The range in between that boundary and the next large change in lighting doesn't need probes most of the time. If that area was filled with probes, they are not really useful and are taking up resources. That being said, it's easier to lay down a bunch of probes quickly with a script.

Also, don't forget that this script was written years ago and light probes have advanced somewhat, so before jumping into this script, you may want to check out light probes in a scene and see if they work for you as they are.

18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Yeah that's kinda true, also always using grid base are not really optimize i think