Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Light maps

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by DeepShader, Nov 11, 2018.

1. DeepShader

DeepShader

Hi there!

Any estimate on when Cloud Build will be able to build light maps on its own?

2. victorw

victorw

It is actually possible to enable lightmap baking via the Build API (editing the Build Target, under Settings -> Advanced -> Unity). However, the reason we disable it by default and haven't exposed this setting in the frontend is because Lightmap Baking can be excruciatingly slow. Since we mostly don't do lightmap baking in UCB there are also a wide range of unexpected issues you might run into.

Fixing all of this is definitely an issue that we are aware of and there are a wide range of improvements coming in future but it will take a huge amount of work both from the Lighting teams and from the UCB team before I expect Lightmap Baking to be sufficiently performant in UCB.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, thank you - good to know.

So how can I handle this the best way if I build the LightMap locally how can I use it with CloudBuild?

4. victorw

victorw

Unfortunately that's not possible yet. At the moment I would recommend developing using realtime lighting and making your release builds using a local machine or configuring a separate release buildtarget with lightmap baking - with manual runs and understanding that it may take a very long time to produce results.

5. DeepShader

DeepShader

What kind of issues?

6. DeepShader

DeepShader

Configure a separate release build means? Clone the release and baking the light map or what do you mean?

Very long time means? I'm on an iMac Pro 3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W w/ Vega64

7. victorw

victorw

Unexpected issues being just that - unexpected. Since not many people do lightmap baking in cloud build we don't have much exposure to any issues that might come up when you try to do it.

Configuring a separate release build means creating a new build target (under Cloud Build -> Config -> Setup new Target in the Developer Dashboard) and configuring that build so that Auto-Build is NOT enabled and Lightmap Baking is enabled, it may also be worth targeting a specific "known-good" branch for these builds. You then run a build for that build target whenever you want to generate a release candidate.

8. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, thank you. I'll give it a try :D