Search Unity

light map blotchy-ness

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jasonnorgaar, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jasonnorgaar

jasonnorgaar

My apologies if this is a noobish question, but I don't actually have a lot of experience with light maps, I am hoping that what I am seeing can be solved simply. I need to create light maps solely in 3ds Max and just simply plug them in in Unity. I am really not interested in using the external light-mapping tool, and don't currently have beast. I have a process for lighting in Max using mental ray, and self illumination on materials to produce my lighting for interiors. I find this method to be quicker than laying out multiple lights. So I would like to use this method for creating my light maps. So I have been doing some preliminary testing and I'm seeing my generated maps looking very blotchy in Unity. I have attached a screencap from unity and my light map. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Blotchy mapping:

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/blotchylightmap.jpg

My Light map:

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/lightmap.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated... :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

What are the pixel dimensions of the lightmaps? and the compression settings within Unity?

Find the images in your project view and have a look at the import settings and compression settings. If they have been changed to compressed DXT1 then you will probably get some artifacts. Also, the images will probably come in defaulted to 1024x1024, which you should be able to change etc.

So you are using the legacy lightmap shaders or are you baking the lighting directly into the diffuse maps?

Regards,
    Matt.

3. jasonnorgaar

jasonnorgaar

Thanks for the response fallingbrickwork. I checked the settings and fiddled with them, I set it to truecolor and map size 2048... but it didn't change the blotchyness. I am using the legacy lightmap shaders. If there is another way I can try inside of unity other than the legacy shaders that I can just directly plug in my light map I would be happy to go for it... The other processes I've seen seem somewhat automated, and wouldn't allow for me to use my particular process for lighting. I guess worst case I could bake the lighting into the diffuse maps, but I would much rather take advantage of the second uv channel, so my diffuse textures can keep a higher level of detail.

4. jasonnorgaar

jasonnorgaar

It turns out it was the import settings. I had the map set to import as a lightmap... but when I changed it to a texture it gave me the correct results.