Search Unity

Question Light going through walls when smoothness is under 0.7

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by DarkBlackOMG, Dec 9, 2022.

1. DarkBlackOMG

DarkBlackOMG

Hello, i'm having this problem when my materials smoothness are under 0.7 light is going into reflections through walls.

Smoothness 0.69:
    1.JPG

Smoothness 0.7:

2.JPG

I've been struggling with this problems for days and i don't know why this is happening.

I've tried with screen space reflections, with ray tracing, different places for the reflection probes and nothing fixed it.

2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hum, shot in the dark here, but maybe your minimum smoothness for Screen Space Reflection is actually 0.7?
    If yes, try to reduce it to something lower

3. DarkBlackOMG

DarkBlackOMG

Yeah that was it. Thank you very much!

And is there any way to make it work without screen space reflections?

The same thing happens without screen space reflection enabled but with 0.9 instead of 0.7

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  4. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

I'm assuming you are only using SSR in your case. It won't give the exact same result but what you can do (and it's how SSR should really be setup) is to put a reflection probe in your corridor to have information about lighting instead of relying ONLY on Screen Space Reflection.

5. DarkBlackOMG

DarkBlackOMG

No, in my case i'm using 3 reflection probes. One for the bedroom, one for the corridor and one for the room the camera is in.

The only thing that worked for me to completely remove the light going through the walls was to make another reflexion probe in this areas where the light is going through but i don't know if this is the right way or not as you clarly see tell where the reflexion proble influence volume is.

Reflexion probes in the middle of the room + corners:
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

A Single reflexion probe in the middle of the room:
    3.JPG

As you can see if i only place one reflexion probe in the middle the corner are very lit but if i add more reflexion probes you can see it's influece box.

Also it's worth noting that i'm using a reflexion proxy volume for this room.