Search Unity

Light fog

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by jaydubs, May 3, 2007.

1. jaydubs

jaydubs

Hi people,

I'm a newbie to real time / interactive 3D and I'm wondering if there is a way to, or if anyone has an example of producing light fog for a realtime architectural environment.

Is there a shader that can do this ? maybe something like an x-ray shader but in reverse ?

Any thoughts, tips are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jared

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

What is "light fog"? The effect where you see dust in the light or "light beams"?

Most often light beaks are made by just creating partially transparent polygons, so that they sort of look like beams.

Joe Schultz (Casemon on the forums here) has done a similar effect for The Late Call, I guess he could share some info.

3. jaydubs

jaydubs

Hi Aras,

"Most often light beaks are made by just creating partially transparent polygons, so that they sort of look like beams"

I thought of this but what would happen if the first person walked through it?

"Joe Schultz (Casemon on the forums here) has done a similar effect for The Late Call, I guess he could share some info."

I like the effect of these lights but am after more of the "dust in the light" especially for a daylight scene. Maybe a sprite type of particle field?

Cheers,

Jared.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Then they see that it's actually transparent polygons. Seems to work for majority (I'm just afraid to say "all") games out there :)

Could do that as well. Particles can get heavy on the fillrate though.

5. jaydubs

jaydubs

Thanks,

I might do some tests with particles.

J.

6. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

In GooBall I made the light beam polygons fade out as the user looked along them (you can see it on the alien exit gates in the public demo).

For sunlight, fading them out usually works ok - you have a flare that kicks in as the user gets the sun onscreen

7. jaydubs

jaydubs

Hi nicholas,

Thanks for the tip. I've been playing Goo Ball for 2 hours now! What a catchy game!

J.