Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Light Estimation combined with Reflection Probes

Discussion in 'AR' started by frictionman, Jun 21, 2019.

1. frictionman

frictionman

I have an issue when combining light estimation with reflection probes in ARFoundation. The thing is that when based on light estimation I turn all my lights ( including ambient ) to zero, all the reflective objects remain untouched by this - meaning they are visible as with lights' intensity set to 1. I figured the issue is they still receive cubemap from reflection probes taken from fully lit environment.

Is there any way to counteract this somehow ?

2. frictionman

frictionman

For now I overcame this with controlling negative emission on reflective material through global property of a custom shader. Doesn't feel as a most elegant solution though.

3. enhawk

enhawk

are you using the standard PBR shader? The specularity / metallic channel can be used to offset this

4. frictionman

frictionman

I'm using custom shader but the same thing happens on standard shader and I wanted to leave specularity / metallic properties intact. I've found another solution for this issue. Instead of tinkering with emission, I'm now altering intensity of reflection probes base on estimated lighting. Works perfectly.

5. enhawk

enhawk

ah... you can edit this globally with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderSettings.reflectionIntensity = myval;

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. frictionman

frictionman

I tried that at first but for some reason it didn't work on reflection probes placed by the ARReflectionProbeManager. So I ended up with keeping track of these reflection probes and changing the intensity directly on them.