Search Unity

Licensing question

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TomasEr, Mar 18, 2019.

1. TomasEr

TomasEr

Hey :)

I'm about to start a part time company with estimated $20k annual income. My main focus will be on web development and smaller mobile applications. I wanted to offer my customers smaller mobile games like e.g. Memory for marketing purposes.

Does my own annual income counts for the licensing or the income of my customers?
    For example: When I code an App that my customer will distribute at the google playstore - does my customer need a unity license?

Thanks in advance!

Tomas

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It depends on what your relationship is with your "customers." If your relationship with your customers is "providing services to a third party", which is typically working on their project as an outside contractor, then your license tier is based on your customer's revenue. If not then your license tier is based on your own revenue.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

Your customers will need a Unity license in line with their own revenue in order to use Unity with the project you provide them. You're also not allowed to mix license tiers for the same project. Everyone working on the project needs the same license tier.

Contact Unity support if this still isn't clear.

I Am Not A Lawyer

3. TomasEr

TomasEr

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm not going to work on theyr projects. I dont even think that they have unity installed or even know what unity is.
    The idea was to develop some small generic apps and brand them for marketing purposes.
    When there is a fair for example it would be nice to have app with informations abouth the booth etc.

The apps would be available for download at my google playstore or appstore account.
    It would by pretty hard to explain a company that they need a unity license only because i distribute a app for them.

But to be 100% sure i had contacted the support :)

edit:
    Wait a sec... i think i got something wrong...
    Only me a the developer who is using the sdk needs the license, not the customer with the final product (.apk), right?
    My thought was that my customers who buys the apps from me, maybe needs a unity license too because its still a unity product. o_O