Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Licensing for University Project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rafe_kruse, Feb 17, 2019.

1. rafe_kruse

rafe_kruse

Hello,

For this issue I have sent in two Unity contact tickets but haven't heard a response in 6 days, I'm posting as the project has a timeline and is starting is contingent on using Unity. I wanted to see if I could get a community opinion or possibly bring attention to my ticket on which license to use.

I am a student at a large university working on a research project in one of the school's labs. I am wondering under what license this would fall under.

I will be working independently however I will be working on a university computer. I personally and the lab I will be working in have below the 100k annual gross revenue/raised funds. However, the college as a whole clearly exceeds even the 200k mark for Unity Plus. I was wondering which value should I consider when purchasing a license for my project.

Thank you.

FBKacquisti and MNNoxMortem like this.
  2. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

3. rafe_kruse

rafe_kruse

Both my tickets have been through that "get-in-touch" contact feature. From what I have read it has a fast response time but I haven't yet heard anything.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The lab's revenue is irrelevant. The license terms for tier eligibility are listed here, and will depend on whether the revenue is to be calculated for yourself, the University, or a 3rd party you may be creating the project for.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

Everything regarding tier eligibility appears to depend on the individual using the Unity editor. You have not mentioned what you mean by "I will be working independently". Are you working on a private project for yourself? Are you working independently on a project as part of a University course?

If you are working independently for a personal project, no matter if it is for personal or commercial use, I don't see anything in the license which restricts your choice of license based on the entity which owns the computer or facility you will be using as long as your work isn't being created for that entity. If you are making the project for yourself, unrelated to the University, unrelated to any classes, etc, then I don't see why you could not use your personal income for measuring tier eligibility (and you probably qualify for Personal).

Also, the University may be using Educational licenses for their classes, which would restrict usage under those licenses to educational/non-commercial, so depending on what and for who you would be creating you probably have to use a license for yourself and not the University's license.

I Am Not A Lawyer