Search Unity

Licensing bug for linux build

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gorgon89, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Gorgon89

Gorgon89

Hey people,
    I'm new to unity and very happy that there is a linux movement for this nice software!
    So Im very interested to install the linux build of unity. But I have problems to get it
    working:

I've installed the linux *.deb build into my debian 8 (with dpkd -i unity... and apt-get install -f afterwards).
    I licensed for the personal edition. But then it freezed.
    I thought it could be due to the free nouveau nvidia driver.

So I've installed the nvidia 304.125 driver for my aged GForce Go 7300
    (I've followed the instructions on
    https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_304.125_.28legacy_GPUs.29)

Driver installation worked well, but now I have problems with the unity license screen at the start.
    It doesnt stop checking for the license:
    "Unity is checking license - stay tuned!"

Thanks to google I found out that this is a known bug for Mac and Windows:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/known-issues-in-unity.255282/

The solution should be to delete a .ulf file. But I can't find any .ulf file in /opt/Unity
    Reinstallation (with apt-get purge unity-editor and again intalling as mentioned above) didn't worked for me.

How can I fix this for the linux build?

I'm happy about any hints!

Greetz
    Gorgon

2. knobby67

knobby67

I don't know your Linux experience so sorry if this is obvious. Have you tried a find command? Something like find / -type f -iname "*.ulf"
    If not check out find and how to use.

3. Eraph

Eraph

While it's checking for a license, disconnect from your network. You will be prompted to manually sort out your license. Click the button to download a file and open the linked page - reconnect to your network and upload the file, you'll get a new file to download, you can upload that back into Unity and you will be licensed.
    You only have to do this once.

4. Gorgon89

Gorgon89

Hey,
    thanks for your replies!
    so maybe my shell skills are not sufficient ;)
    I've used locate to search for the .ulf file, but didn't found it. Maybe I didn't used updatedb before. Don't know what went wrong oO
    (@Eraph: disconnecting from network during licensing had no effect on unity licensing)

The .ulf file is in ~/.local/share/unity3d/Unity/Unity_v5.x.ulf
    Deleting the file didn't solve the problem.
    So I've reinstalled unity and deleted the hole ~/.local/share/unity3d/ folder.
    (Purging unity-editor doesn't remove ~/.local/share/unity3d (maybe cause of the dpkg / apt-get combination). So one has to delete it manually.)
    After that one has to register again and everything is fine.

In total:
    sudo apt-get purge unity-editor
    rm -r ~/.local/share/unity3d
    sudo dpkg -i unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015082501_amd64.deb

Greetz Gorgon

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

In case someone is stuck in the same situation: I revoked a license on my laptop, but the information somehow did not reach Unity.

I could revoke my licenses on their website and command-line registration started working. Morale to the story: It would benefit the consumer if log specified the license server response in a slightly more convenient manner than a timeout. Even a fix to the error message telling us that perhaps there are no more licenses would do the trick.

6. ChloeGue

ChloeGue

Hi,

I have a similar issue, while installing Unity 2019.1. I could successfully install it, but once I opened Unity, I got a pop up saying "To use Unity, you must have an active license. Please download the Unity Hub and activate your license.". The thing is when trying to download the Unity Hub, I just got the choice for Win or Mac.... Turning crazy, I've just want to got a personal License alone to be able to use Unity!! Is someone already had this issue? Can someone be able to help me?

Thanks a lot!!
    C.

7. madara2412

madara2412

I have the same problem. Tried to activate the license using the manual https://license.unity3d.com/manual. But sudo find / -type f -iname "* .*lf" command do not produce any results. How to activate the license is not clear. Can someone explain how to activate a Unity license for Linux?

8. ChloeGue

ChloeGue

Up up up! For now I have a temporary solution, working on a Mac for now (but I have this Mac only for two weeks). I really need to find a solution to be able to work in linux. Can someone be able to explicitly explain the license activation process on Linux?
    Thanks,
    C.

9. HZ51

HZ51

Have you tried to use Hub for Linux?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-v-1-3-2-is-now-available.594139/

10. madara2412

madara2412

Jindango and HZ51 like this.
  11. himalayankid

himalayankid

For personal use Unity can be used without any purchased key but however you need to activate it in order to use. To do so 1st login into your unity account or else create one, go to the top right of the unity hub window and follow the login steps. After logging in click on Activate New License and then select Unity for Personal use. Click next. You should get a confirmation of activation and u should be good to go.

Jindango likes this.