Search Unity

License won't authorize...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ZlipRex, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ZlipRex

ZlipRex

• I'm just getting Unity to see what I can do with it and I'm signing into it and then it wants me to verify my license and I don't have pro so I choose personal and it says exactly this- Updating License " Unity is checking your license authorization - stay tuned! I have let it there about a total of an hour and it says absolutely nothing other than connecting then it sends me back to what it said before. Is it supposed to take this long or is there something wrong?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Something's wrong. It shouldn't take more than a moment.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have you tried restarting it? I've caught it getting stuck a few times in the past only to work properly once restarted.

4. ZlipRex

ZlipRex

Yes I've restarted it more than 5 times...

5. ZlipRex

ZlipRex

Yea do you have any idea on what I should do?

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, I'm afraid I don't have much to offer beyond the (obvious) observation that it shouldn't do that. But I encourage you to hang in there — call Unity tech support in the morning, and get them to help. They're a great bunch, and Unity is a great product. If you can get past this initial hurdle, I know you'll be glad you did!

7. bogc

bogc

I have exactly the same issue. I just installed Unity 7 on windows 7 64 bit running inside Parallels and it is stuck "Updating License". I selected the personal license. Any ideas on how to get past that? I also made sure the windows firewall allows the connections to the internet.

Update 1: After I restarted Unity it worked! It might have been the firewall not allowing the outbound communication (I changed the firewall while unity was running).

Update 2: Wow, it's almost as if these guys don't want me to use unity. Ok, it was premature to be excited. After I passed the License step, I completed the Survey step, and I became stuck again. Tried to click OK and nothing happened. WTF? Is their website on maintenance?

Update 3: Finally, it worked, after restarting unity a few times.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Man, I'm not Unity, but on their behalf I'm really sorry. It's not normally like this — Unity has generally been a joy to use. It leaves a few socks on the floor now and then, but on the whole they are very sensible folks committed to making game development as powerful and accessible as possible.

So I'm glad you stuck with it, and I hope you have a better experience moving forward! Don't hesitate to post questions here if you have 'em.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. bogc

bogc

Thank you for the message. So far, so good. Though I wonder whether I can start Unity when I don't have an internet connection.

10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You can. It phones home when it's able, in order to access your Asset Store purchases and such, but if you don't have an internet connection it'll run anyway. I used it extensively on an airplane while traveling this week (and no, United, I'm not paying outrageous rates for your thin little satellite connection!).