Search Unity

License issues using Unity hub on a Windows PC and a Mac

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by rob_ice, Sep 10, 2018.

1. rob_ice

rob_ice

I work on a mac and a windows pc (separately) for development for different platforms (notably the mac is just used for IOS development). Anyway, this seems to cause constant issues when swapping the license between machines, and Unity Hub sometimes just refuses to allow me to open it with the 'unity personal' option on one machine when I want to keep the license on the other machine for exporting builds when I return to it.

The most annoying thing is unity hub just asks for an offline activation when I have tried to simply activate it as Unity Personal so that I can just get into unity and start working on bits on the machine that I don't currently keep the license on.

I know the main issue here is that Apple is insistent on IOS building only happening on macs with Xcode but this issue with Unity asking for an offline license file is not helping the workflow either.
    upload_2018-9-10_9-18-19.png

2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @rob_ice,
    Sorry for the inconvenience. I would like to ask if your license were previously activated using Editor or using a previous version of the Hub? In addition, mean you elaborate what you mean by "swapping the license between machines"?
    Thanks for informing us.
    Joe

3. rob_ice

rob_ice

Hi Joe, I often swap between my desk Windows PC and mac to build projects on each separately, each time i transfer the license between them by using the Editor Unity License menu in a version of unity to 'Return License', then on the other machine I goto the same menu and use 'Activate New License' and paste the Unity license serial code into it. This generally works fine between the machines when I need to swap between them as I know the license can only be present on one machine at a time.

The issue raises it's head with Unity Hub 0.20.1, I have been using various previous versions of Unity hub before updating to 0.20.1

4. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @rob_ice,

So from my understanding, the problem arise when you activate license (of returned key) using the Hub.
    If possible, I would like to ask you for your log the next time you encounter the issue:
    Windows: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs
    Mac: ~/Library/Application support/UnityHub/logs

Another tip, using the tray menu, Activate license menu item should bring you back to the normal activation flow assuming your network connection is on.

Thanks,

Joe