Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Leveraging Animator within Timeline

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by dgoyette, Dec 1, 2017.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Hi all,

I've just started working with Timeline, after having learned a bit about basic Unity animation, and I have a couple of questions.

1. I've created a robust Animator Controller for a character, with nicely blended walk/run animations, and other parameterized state transitions. When using Timeline, can I leverage that controller? Let's say I want my character to walk across the room (using my animator controller), then do another animation from a separate animation clip, can that behavior be blended together?

2. If I want me character to move while animating, is standard practice to place the character inside another game object, and then do transform animations on the parent? For example, in the tutorial video (https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/animation/using-timeline-overview?playlist=17099) there is a "Player" and a "Character". I'm not really sure what I'm seeing here. The "Player" has animation clips, and the "Character" looks to have a simpler infinite clip for adjusting the transform. But it seems the "Character" is a child of the "Player"? Anyway, if I want a character to walk/climb/crawl around, would I follow the same approach of putting the character in another game object and change that game object's transform?

3. The basic Animation system supports layers, to do things like "let your character wave while walking". How would I do something like that in Timeline? Can Timeline blend a Walk clip with a Wave clip, or do I need to make a new Animation for that and use that in Timeline?