Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Levels and loading maps in online games ...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by boshko, Feb 20, 2015.

1. boshko

boshko

So, in online game i have few levels,,,
    My question is:
    When someone want to play my game will he load all levels at the beginning or he will load them as he ,,, jump in next level and so on,,,?
    As far i can see when we have few levels we export them all together to upload later somewhere on internet, so thats why im asking.
    Another thing,,,
    If i make changes in one of this levels do i need to upload whole game on internet again? Seems yes. How i can make "separated" levels ( so i can upload level without to re upload whole game) and still be able to load levels through the game but be able to make changes in one level and later re upload just this one level?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Hello Boshko,

How are you looking to distribute the game? Using webplayer? I know you mentioned online, so I assume so.

From my understanding if you are creating levels as scenes you will need to upload the entire project again; however you can have a single scene for all levels and then load in some data files to place objects within that scene. You may then update these files on the web-server and update them as you wish. Instead of writing some code on how to read in data files from the web-server I include a link to this post:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/read-write-text-files-from-unity-webplayer.19046/#post-129651

boshko likes this.
  3. boshko

boshko

Re-upload is not a problem, problem is - when someone want to play online that "MyGame" (if I understand well how things work, and this game has separated scenes-levels, but this is one game also) he will need to wait to load all levels and than he can play level by level. BUT :) i would like to make all of this on this way => ,,, 1st he will load first level, than in some moment he can choose to play another level (and in some moment player can choose to back in first level and choose to play different level-scene) . The point is, he will load every level-scene every time when he leave one level and start another and not to load all levels at beginning. Point system will not be in that game so dont worry about this.
    Questions:
    1. When player start a game will he load all scenes-levels together at the beginning or he can load them one by one (separately) in time when he enter next level-scene?
    2. If is possible to menage that player can load scene-level one by one separately, how to make that? Any suggestion?
    What i will achieve with that? Let say that whole game have 1GB but also has 100 levels (10Mb each level), well there will be a difference in loading if player wait to load 10Mb / 1GB.

Im thinking now about some trigger which will start (load-download) a new scene-level and just close level-scene where he was.​

4. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

boshko likes this.
  5. boshko

boshko

Thanx,,, so there is no option to have some button {or just a trigger (in free version of Unity)} which will close actual map -"MyGame1"- and open something like: https://boshko.com/MyGame2.html ? Sound simply, right?
    Just wondering,,, because i dont know nothing about coding in C# or Java or ... when u write code for some web page in one of this script languages, so just a simply web page, what code u use if you like to add link to some words, u know, something like -href- (in HTML),,,? Maybe that can work,, maybe :/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. boshko

boshko