Search Unity

Level transition

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by CaptCanada, Nov 24, 2017.

1. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Hi all,

I'm working on a project that will have several game levels and I would like to feedback on how others handle loading levels?

I guess it depends on the type of game? I am working on a FPS game, with terrain created with GAIA. The player's first level takes place on this terrain, which is a valley type terrain.

The next level will be underground and I need some feedback on how best to transition from the "outdoor" valley level to the underground level.

Thanks

2. snacktime

snacktime

Generally some mesh like a cave mesh that extends out from the terrain, and you teleport the player to the underground level at some point in. Or by design have a portal system of some type. Or maybe an elevator combined with effects/darkness to hide the transition.

If using the preferred setup of linear/deferred, you cannot cut holes in the terrain to provide a completely seamless transition. Even in forward it's extremely difficult to pull off well.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  3. snacktime

snacktime

Also, it's going to be far simpler if your above and below ground are separate scenes. Trying to light both in the same scene will be a real pain.

4. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

My plan is to have both levels as separate scenes and load the next one via script.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Put a small "airlock" scene such as a twisty entryway tunnel, or an elevator as snacktime suggested, between the outdoor and underground scenes. When the player turns the corner in the tunnel, unload the outdoor scene and asynchronously load the underground scene additively.

6. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Actually that is something I was thinking of doing. My plan is to have a long tunnel with a large access door at the end. The door will open to revel the entrance to the underground level. The trigger point for the next level will be before this door. When the underground level is loaded, the player will be in the same tunnel and can proceed towards the door.

It's basically going to to use a Half-Life 2 approach to changing levels, where there is a sense of continuity between levels.