Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Level Design Help

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JacksonTheXtremeGamer, Jan 29, 2020.

1. JacksonTheXtremeGamer

JacksonTheXtremeGamer

I need some tips on making a level. Now my levels are supposed to work like the target breaking minigame like in smash bros, but has a level build like bomberman hero on the 64. My mind’s running in circles. If anyone has a tip or two lemme hear it.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Just start making the first idea that comes to mind. Stop thinking and get paint on the canvas.

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Is your gameplay done? If not, the best level design advice I can give is this: steal it. If your game is like smash bros, build your favorite smash bros level.

This actually servers two purposes.

1) It frees you up to focus on gameplay first. Designing levels when your gameplay isn't fine tuned is a bad idea because if you say adjust the jumping height by 10%, suddenly, you need to edit all of your levels.

2) It makes it much easier to test. You are able to send it to other people and have them be able to focus on the gameplay rather than trying to learn the map. For example, the game I'm currently building has a deathmatch mode. A good chunk of being good at deathmatch is simply knowing the routes and weapon placements. So I built Halo's level Longest, which all of my friends are already intimately familiar with. I know LOTS of developers of shooters often make their first level DOOM's E1M1.