Search Unity

Question Level built in MagicaVoxel not really working in Unity

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jampamatos, Jun 11, 2020.

1. jampamatos

jampamatos

Hey guys!

So, I've been playing around Unity for one month and I decided it was time for me to create my own first game from scratch. It's going to be a very simple isomeric view 3D platformer, and I've been using Magica Voxel to do all the assets for it.

So, I created the area for my first level on Magica Voxel, something like this:

upload_2020-6-10_21-23-54.png

I want the players to stay within the canyon, and the cliffs to work as bondaries.

I exported it to .obj, opened it in blender to set the pivot point to the center, and exported as fbx to Unity. There, I marked the "Generate Colliders" under Meshes, and added a Kinematic rigidbody to it.

upload_2020-6-10_21-27-44.png

It looks good, but the colliders are not really working well. Most of the area the player is walking right through, like so:

https://imgur.com/DW4Nzp8

Did I miss any steps? What should I do to make it work? Or should I make it differently?

Thanks, guys!

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

It could be a precision problem. Check the scale of those objects. Also check the position (best keep them centered around origin (0,0,0)). If the character also uses a mesh collider make it convex, or better swap it for a capsule.

3. jampamatos

jampamatos

I use a box collider to the character. And it might as well be a scale problem then, because the Magica Voxel asset is really small, and I've scaled it up by a lot, and I mean a lot. I'll see if I can scale down and zoom in with the camera.

Is there a way to fix the colliders even if I scale the object up?

4. jampamatos

jampamatos

Huh, looks like changing the player's collider from box to capsule did the trick. Why is that? I though using box would be better because, you now, my character is basically a box.

Flavelius likes this.