Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Level 11 as subscription service being revisited

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caitlyn, Nov 6, 2015.

1. caitlyn

caitlyn

Greetings all,

We’ve had a lot of inquiries about our Asset Store’s Level 11 perks program, currently only available to our Pro users. Previously we announced our intention to offer the greater community a subscription service to Level 11, with the same great perks.

Alas, having given the program a good, hard look we’ve determined we can do a lot better. And so, we’ve decided to suspend its release and retool to bring a product that will ultimately bring you greater value and selection. We’ll re-release the program when we’re confident the community will be as excited as we are/While we regret slipping on the date, we think the new product will be worth the wait!

Existing & new Pro users - You still will get to have L11 access. This is change will only affect folks without Pro subscription licenses.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@caitlyn: Thank you so much for the response to our inquiries!

Do you know if the current plan is to offer an even better value for the same price, or will the price be under review as well?

- S.

3. crafTDev

crafTDev

I am guessing this means when Unity6 launches then, *sighs*.

Thanks,
    jrDev

4. jcarpay

jcarpay

This means Pro users won't benefit from the the greater value and selection coming with the retooled product?

5. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

I am excited to see what you have in store (pun intended).

When I first saw the subs model for non-pro people, I immediately knew there would be problems. If it is a month-to-month subscription, then we are just going to cherry pick the months when something good is up there. If it is a forced 12-month subscription plan, then you are just going to have a lot of angry people ´there is nothing I ever need and I am forced to pay month after month´. You already have pro people complaining about the items selected for L11, can you imagine if people are paying a subscription ONLY for L11 and they aren´t happy with what is added? It really was a non-win situation.

Personally, I just do not see a solution for us non-pro people. I do not think a Sam´s Club model is going to work with randomly selected discounted items. Sam´s Club works because the customers know what is going to be in the store for the next 12 months. Having a 12 month forced subscription with randomly selected items is just playing the lottery. Having it be where we can unsub each month just makes it a ´daily deal for $20´ if something we want shows up.

Have you thought about just going full discount-club? Offer a 15% discount on all asset store purchases for $10/month (12 month subscription required). For me, with all the sales ( like the current birthday one), it makes L11 kinda redundant. I´ve already read a few comments from pro people who think it is silly that items are showing up on L11 that have already been offered at 50% off just a month or two ago.

Kiwasi, S_Darkwell and Ostwind like this.
  6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Of course we will, she said pro users will still have level 11. So if it has a wider selection pro will have that wider selection. She said the product as a whole will have greater value and selection.

7. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Carve_Online: I really like your suggestion. That would certainly benefit me personally -- and I suspect that the vast majority of those who sign up for that program would be quite happy with the deal!

- S.

8. jcarpay

jcarpay

Yes, but cailtyn mentions the change only affect folks without Pro subscription licenses.
    So maybe there are changes that require an extra fee?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No.

This isn't a legal document. She just fluffed her lines.

1. existing pro will continue with level 11 until it's changed then they'll get the new one. There's only one level 11.

2. people who pay for the level 11 perk in future will get the new one, and since it's not available right now, this only affects them.

10. caitlyn

caitlyn

While I can't yet go into details, we think the new service will give you both a better value and a much much wider selection of content. We figured we'd like to do it right. We haven't yet got a launch date, and there's still details we are ironing out, but definitely this will serve you a lot better.

angrypenguin and hippocoder like this.
  11. dayero

dayero

"Aaaand so much much this and that and whatnot etc. etc."

"Won't happen." would have sufficed.

jonfinlay likes this.
  12. caitlyn

caitlyn

Well... saying something that way would be discourteous. In addition to being incorrect. :)

13. Martin_H

Martin_H

Will the new service be called "Level 12" to reflect the improvements?

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That would be fun haha!

15. caitlyn

caitlyn

:D

We thought about that!

That reminds me.. we had this great campaign planned around the Level 11 launch. Initially, we wanted it to be very mysterious and not give any indication outright to what it was. One day shortly after buying a Pro subscription, you'd receive a mysterious message in your inbox from agentL11@unity3d.com. It would direct you to a mysterious-looking hidden page at unity3d.com.. with some kind of unlabeled login box.. drop some clues embedded within free assets on the store, make a few subtle treasure hunt puzzles you'd solve to get the password.. very very secretive.. the more you dig, it starts to feel like you've chosen for a secret x-files like mission...

We do have fun brainstorming. Alas the realities of bringing a product to market under a tight deadline kept us from doing it.. we had some urgency to promote it in time for the 5.0 launch and GDC, so we didn't have the time we wanted to do this mysterious launch... would have been fun, though...

Socrates, Novack, Flipbookee and 5 others like this.
  16. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Always way to much cocain during brainstorming meetings...

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  17. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

But these go to 11.

Martin_H and zombiegorilla like this.
  18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

For the kids out there:

Aurore, Flipbookee, elmar1028 and 2 others like this.
  19. LaneFox

LaneFox

As long as it goes to Eleven.

20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Maybe. That's the same line as when level 11 was first launched. It's within the realm of possibility that UT never figures out a viable store solution for free users.

Actually I quite like the current model for free users. :p Joking aside, I don't think free users like myself will believe in Level 11 until we actually have an asset in hand. We've had multiple launch dates before.

At least now we have an honest admission from UT that it's not happening.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity's already gone on record saying free users still have access to multiple kinds of sale (there's one there now if you're interested)... not sure what you meant otherwise :/

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Also, the fact that they have recognized that it doesn't work right now is encouraging, and that they are trying to fix it is positive. Whether or not the new solution is teh awesome, it is much better than not addressing it at all.

ShilohGames, angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  23. Martin_H

Martin_H

I don't fully understand what all the fuss is about. Is level 11 anything beyond monthly free stuff and some discounts? Because if not, that's really not a gamechanging thing that I'd worry about having access to or not.

angrypenguin and hippocoder like this.
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because it's essential to grab as many assets that will be unsuitable for your project as possible.

Ryiah, overthere, Kasko and 7 others like this.
  25. tiggus

tiggus

Ok this made me laugh out loud, describes just about every asset I've bought except for NGUI...but I still buy them

26. sicga123

sicga123

I have a pro license but not a subscription one, am I to assume I will still get access to level 11?

27. Metron

Metron

Sounds like:"You get this many 'credits' every month that you can either leave in your pocket and add them up, or purchase asset store items with."

That actually would be a viable store "subscription" model since it would allow to access any asset in the store, enable Unity to offer "credit" purchasing with discounts and still give possibility to have discounted assets... Pretty much the f2p model transposed to the asset store...

28. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yes.

29. Warsymphony

Warsymphony

I really like this!

30. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

In L11 you have discount AND free stuff.
    Don't remove free stuff !

kittik likes this.
  31. MrDude

MrDude

Consider this:
    Pro users get free stuff and discount stuff
    What if they made the $19 p/month thing give you access to the discounted products only?

You can pay only for the months you want and get that kit at $10 discount for only $19 p/m !!! :p

lol. I remember there was one month when the only asset that interested me was a character model that normally costs $20 and it was free that month... imagine if I had paid my $19 subscription I would have gotten a whole $1 saving for that month :D

Under this idea of mine it would have cost me nothing but at least this month I could pay my $19 and get $900 discount on that Substances database... or paid $750 and got myself a pro license and be done with it :p

I must admit, Caitlyn has me curious about what they are doing. Level 11 and the Allegorithmic subscribe-to-own deal are the only subscription plans that ever caught my interest... so very interested to see what they do...

32. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Just a question
    I have full version of pro (brought the licence as one off fee) does that count as pro subscription licence ?

33. darkhog

darkhog

@wiseowlstudios Yes, if you login from computer and account license is bound to.

34. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

You know what people love to spend their hard earned money on? Lottery.

Let's say, on top of the usual perks, every month 11 people from Level 11 get 11 assets randomly selected from their wishlist for free. Bet it would resonate. :S

35. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

But it would never work from Unity´s side. The asset providers who participate in Lvl 11 opt-in to it. Under your method, Unity would either have to pay the asset provider full price, or else they would have to force asset providers to give away, or at a deep discount any product they have listed. That would never fly.

I also don´t agree with you premise. Most people who pay for Unity pro or subscribe to lvl 11 would not be happy if a small group of people ´won´ each month. Many of them already feel unhappy because of the random nature of what gets listed on lvl 11. If people complain because there is a month where nothing good shows up on lvl 11, how much do you think they are going to complain if they go months and months without winning your lottery? Randomness is what Unity needs to move away from.

daisySa and Martin_H like this.
  36. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Yes, of course. Lotteries, raffles and gambling bring in many times fold the price of the prizes they give away.

Getting a few random assets out of the entire store is different than getting a few random assets out of your own wishlist since you already crafted that list out of things that would be useful to you.

Also, luck, randomness and this feeling of being able to beat the odds is very much strong with both gamers and game devs. Will that rare item drop with my loot? Will my game be featured? Will it get noticed among the other 10k releases this month? Etc.

That's why having chance involved might resonate with a large audience. Even if rationally we all know the odds of being struck by lighting is higher than winning the lottery.

37. shwa

shwa

Bought Unity 5 Pro this am.

went to the Level 11 page in the store and thru authoring, and click on the assets i want for free or to get at a discount, but no free assets or discounts

Is there some kind of magic potion i need to use?

thanks.

38. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

39. shwa

shwa

Thanks, SunnySunshin.

When i click on the asset there, they are full price, even though i have Unity 5 pro.
    Perhaps admin needs to activate something, as i bought Pro about an hour ago. ?

40. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

If the Level deal isn't being applied, please contact assetstore@unity3d.com

41. KellyThomas

KellyThomas

Hi @caitlyn,

I wanted to point out situation where I am unable to access the level 11 discount for an item which is also eligible for an upgrade price. In effect the upgrade price is overruling the level 11 price locking me into the more expensive offer.

Here is a screenshot of the item listing.

I raised a ticket (#32110) but the response was essentially that this is the system working as designed.

Thanks,
    Kelly

42. shwa

shwa

Thanks, Aurore.

Much appreciated!

43. Aurore

Aurore

This is correct, the base Asset itself and not the upgrade for the Asset.

Actually re-reading, since you only bought Pro about an hour ago, it may take a while for the server to update.

Check here for more info https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/205930015

44. KellyThomas

KellyThomas

While this is of course technically correct it would be nice if I could buy the base asset at the discounted price.

The Asset Store interface is not providing me with that option, neither did the support rep.

45. Aurore

Aurore

Ben will re-open your support case and contact the Asset Store team about this. Although the AS team is mostly on holiday right now so it might take some time.

46. john_hattan

john_hattan

Question. I have a Unity Plus subscription. I noticed that I had Level11 access until yesterday. Was this just a glitch, or do Plus subscribers have access to the Level11 assets?

47. rerwandi

rerwandi

This Thread