Search Unity

Let’s Share Top 5 Unity Asset

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by three2wan, Jul 10, 2018.

1. three2wan

three2wan

I want to know what is your top 5 asset from Unity Asset store? Can divide from top 5 free and paid version also ;)

2. QFSW

QFSW

I've only bought one asset, Rewired.
    Not cheap but highly worth the price, don't bother trying to do it yourself

Why don't you pick your 5 since you started the thread?

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  3. three2wan

three2wan

Ok. Let me start. I’m no expert but this asset i always used.

My top 5 asset
    1. UMotion
    2. Dotween
    3. Textmesh pro
    4. Unity particle pack
    5. Easy combine

4. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

Glad to see UMotion as number 1. Been eyeing that one for a while now.

1) Rewired
    2) Dotween
    3) Bolt
    4) Odin Serializer & Inspector
    5) Rotorz Reorderable List / Dictionary

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Here are the assets I use for our game from Asset Store:

1. nothing
    2. nothing
    3. nothing
    4. nothing
    5. nothing

Not being funny. I really don't use a single asset. Unity's got to the point now where it does not make sense to use assets vs just quickly building it with the native features.

Part of Unity via package manager now.

dadude123 likes this.
  6. QFSW

QFSW

1 whole less than me :O

hippocoder likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I dumped rewired a while ago in favour of the new up coming input. I don't have exotic needs anyway and can afford to wait a bit. I dumped it because it blew out my recompilation / reload times and that was enough to tick me off. I can't imagine how long it takes for people to make a simple change for a big game with a ton of assets.

8. QFSW

QFSW

I wanted to wait for the new input system, but I guess the fact of life is I've got a game to release and that won't wait for the new input system to come out properly. Will I use it for future projects? Perhaps, I'll give it a shot. But it's not out now and now is what matters

angrypenguin and MasterSubby like this.
  9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Slightly different than hippo’s:

1. DOTween.
    2. n/a
    3. n/a
    4. n/a
    5. n/a

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Actually... I had DOTween for a while as it's so good but I got rid of that too because I wanted something a bit custom and I'll be messing about in ECS land before long :)

Ryiah and zombiegorilla like this.
  11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yeah it slows everything down like crazy and ruins my workflow to an extent that I think is unacceptable. If I use it I would only put it in at the end.

My space game has been on ice for a while, but I don't use any assets from the store (except for my own space combat kit). I find it too easy to make something that does 90% of the job, and only if I get near the end I will bother to make that last 10% if a really good asset can do it for me easily.

If I was keen to get a project finished in a short space of time, I'd probably consider using some of Opsive's assets. But mostly I see the store as a way to learn something quickly. There are a bunch of things I've bought from the store that have taught me a lot, but I'm not sure what I would use as-is.

rubble1 likes this.
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I use it primarily for ui animation currently, I built an anim library around it that extends ui components. The impetus was to scrap all use of the animator in ui. It was a fairly noticeable increase in performance. I could have spun my own, but damn, he has so much goodness already in it.

hippocoder likes this.
  13. guavaman

guavaman

This is explained in the docs here:
    http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/KnownIssues.html#increased-compile-play-time-editor

You can remove the controller definitions you don't need from the ControllerDataFiles and it will dramatically reduce the deserialization time. I hope to eventually replace Rewired's reliance on Unity's serialization system to get around this editor issue. It is really not pleasant to build something of this scale on top of a dependency that ultimately ends up having a major flaw like this.

TeagansDad, aer0ace and Billy4184 like this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Aha! thanks for explaining. Well, it is the best input manager if anyone's looking :)

TeagansDad, guavaman and Billy4184 like this.
  15. Billy4184

Billy4184

For the record, other than that problem it seems to be a great asset.

guavaman likes this.
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

hmm, hard to make a SteamVR game without downloading SteamVR SDK from the store :p

hippocoder likes this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't need to make a SteamVR SDK game, thankfully!

18. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

But you must use something else than core Unity functions? How about audio engines like Steam Audio or Google Resonance? or platform SDKs like Steamworks?

19. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

I use a lot of asset, a lot of the time I end up removing them later on when I don't need them anymore. There is a lot of time saving when your just testing stuff.

If I could only have 5 assets ever again (within the current version of Unity),
    regardless of current project, this would probably be my list.

1. Final IK
    2. DotTween
    3. Amplify Shader Editor / Shader Forge
    4. Rewired
    5. Energy Bar Toolkit

6. Playmaker
    7. Build Report Tool
    8. Apex Path
    9. Behavior Designer
    10. Master Audio

20. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Personally, I love Rewired and it is currently a must have for projects. We don't know when Unity will release their new input system. Rewired is currently the best solution for input systems.

The compile time in editor with Rewired does not bother me. I am currently more concerned with the lack of full support when using IL2CPP in a standalone Windows builds with Unity 2018.1:
    http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/KnownIssues.html#windows-standalone-il2cpp

21. guavaman

guavaman

Rewired was built on the capabilities and limitations of Unity, then 4 years later Unity adds a new technology with its own limitations that ultimately requires that I completely start over from scratch. In order for this to work on Windows, I have to rewrite the entire Windows portion of the system in C++ because of a missing feature in IL2CPP (it does not support the Calli IL instruction which is critical to SharpDX which is being used for Direct Input and is the only way it can make calls to methods on DI objects without using a native library -- at the time Unity 4x didn't allow native libraries without hacking for free users.) The Windows portion is the biggest platform library in Rewired and includes Raw Input, Direct Input, XInput, HID, and bluetooth support. Rewired also uses dynamic C# library loading on standalone platforms to load the main libraries which is no longer possible with IL2CPP. It's a big job and unfortunately I'm always slammed with support and working on other pending feature requests so I haven't started working on this yet apart from thinking about the issue.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    TeagansDad likes this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No.

Obviously if I need to use something to get it to work with steam if or when I port that game, I'll make it, or use either something from Unity, or Valve. Nobody else.

It's not about trying to do all the work. It's as simple as the quality of my work skyrocketed when I removed anything except mandatory additions. I guess I spent the same amount of time dancing with middleware than it took to just directly create exactly what I wanted. So I directly create exactly what I want now.

I'm sure there will be an exception, but for me it will have to be mandatory, or indispensable.

Since 2017, Unity's made that significantly easier for me since the quality of Unity code is actually pretty exceptional, even if people do complain at times. And best of all, it is properly peer reviewed and maintained.

It must also survive more testing and QA than all the middleware and external API's combined, since all of Unity's users and players are all testing it all of the time on all of the platforms.

Why would I not entirely favour my own + Unity's code wherever possible?

dadude123 and Ryiah like this.
  23. CDF

CDF

1. DOTween

Anything else usually goes like this:
    • Browse asset store
    • Find something that looks cool
    • Purchase, Download, Import
    • Regret everything

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  24. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Oh I agree, use the built in stuff whenever possible, but there are times it just wont do, like the navmesh, it just dont let you hook into the low level API so you can do advanced stuff like AI that flank etc. A* Pathfinding Project is fixing that.

Just one example of many.

When it comes to code assets I do ALOT of research before I buy anytjing and I only buy something that I really cant make myself within reasonable time.

When it comes to code assets we only have two, Final IK and above A* Pathfinding Project. Hmm, well, we have Obi Rope too btw.

25. aer0ace

aer0ace

Slightly sidetracking a bit... Has anyone heard of Mad Compile Time Optimizer? I'm using it on my slower laptop to move asset scripts that rarely change into one of the Unity special folders that only updates when changed rather than compiling every time. It helps manage the assets that have moved scripts. It sounds incredibly dangerous, yeah, but I notice a significant difference in my build times when using it.

It's sidetracking because I wouldn't put it as part of my top 5, but I definitely use it to help me out on a daily basis.

Ugh, if I had to choose five:

1. DOTween
    2. NGUI (only because all my current WIP projects use it)
    3. MiniScript (new to this, but REALLY enjoying it)
    4. Universal Sound FX (used this on nearly every project I worked on. There's a lot of value here)
    5. TemaranMessenger (only because I hadn't discovered UnityEvents for my current projects. That thread about UnityEvents really helped.)

Honorable Mentions
    * Build Report Tool
    * Obfuscator (I'm new to this one, but it works great, and support is fantastic)
    * Rewired (Still new to this, trying to get it working on my current project, to play nice with NGUI)
    * Master Audio: AAA Sound (In evaluation, support is great, and it looks promising, other than the folder structure (it's horrendous, but the author has his reasons)

26. hopeful

hopeful

Unity IS getting a lot better at providing what we need. I'd say the asset store is mainly for things you want to learn from, or for prototyping. Also, music and sound effects ... I'm not going to make my own. ;)

27. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

Some of my favorites:

1. UFPS
    2. Grids 2
    3. A* Pathfinding
    4. Final IK
    5. Hierarchy Icons

UFPS is a lot of fun to play with so it makes the list.
    Grids 2 because it saves a ton of time when building just about any grid-based game.
    I prefer A* over Unity's NavMesh any day.
    Final IK because I have zero desire to write anything that does what this does - it does it well and was worth the money.
    Hierarchy Icons converts tags to icons in the hierarchy view. Best $5 I've spent in the Asset Store.

But I'm not in this to be able to say at the end of the day that "I did everything myself." If that were the case I'd build an engine. I use Unity because it is a tool to get a job done, and the Asset Store has at least a few dozen gems that make this tool better.

If I had had the "I never use anything from the Asset Store" mentality all along, my UI's would have been bogged down by Unity's OnGUI because I refused to use nGUI. Unity seems to be admitting that Asset Store devs are sometimes capable of doing things better than they have shown they can do, so relying on Unity alone feels like relying on a life preserver when there's a lifeboat 10 feet away.

28. aer0ace

aer0ace

Are you serious? Grids 1 is great, and I use it all the time, but Grids 2 took a turn for esoteric academia. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the asset has been abandoned for some time, and there was always a promise of better more complete documentation.

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The lack of support for calli is not an inherent limitation in IL2CPP. The reason it wasn't implemented is because nobody complained about it being missing - until now. Can we get a bug report on this?

Ryiah likes this.
  30. guavaman

guavaman

Hi.I filed one a couple of months ago on it. Case 1034516. That's good to know it's possible.

Ryiah likes this.
  31. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks! Looks like they resolved the bug as postponed, but I'll try to lobby them to reconsider this. I am assuming they didn't really understand the severity of the issue :).

32. guavaman

guavaman

Thank you! That will help a lot of Rewired users, no doubt!

33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

We are looking forward to it. And now at least we know what bug number to vote for.

guavaman likes this.
  34. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

1. FinalIK
    2. Amplify Shader Editor
    3. Easy Save 2
    4. EnhancedScroller
    5. Embedded Browser

35. sngdan

sngdan

Script Inspector 3

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. Rowlan

Rowlan

I use a lot of different assets in several different projects. But there are two I use in all of them:

1. Vegetation Studio (paid)
    2. Unity Post Processing Stack (free)

37. dadude123

dadude123

I have to agree with hippocoder and zombiegorilla for the most part.

1. TextMesh Pro

Not paid anymore, yes, but still an essential asset for all our projects.
    Only downside is the god awful small-font rendering. Only with some heavy tweaks it works as intended with 8-14px font sizes. The default results for those sizes are unfortunately completely worthless.
    Still #1 on the list for all its other advantages!

2. Realtime CSG
    We only use it for quick prototyping of our maps, but for that it's leaps and bounds better than probuilder.
    Shortly before the polishing phase we swap out all the RTCSG models with hand-made / redone models made in blender, only using the CSG model as the starting point.
    However there have been some cases (even though rare) where we were able to just clean up an exported FBX and then use that in the final game!

3. Amplify shader editor
    Good to get some quick effects going.
    Positive surprises:
    - Turns out most shaders don't even need some manual cleanup. The simple ones at least, and the more complicated ones are hand-written anyway...
    - Awesome support
    - It being able to generate shaders for LD/HD pipelines without much trouble!

4. PostProcessing stack (just like TMP, this one is not from the asset store either)
    We're only using SMAA and sometimes some bloom anyway.

The list ends here, we're not using any other packages from the asset store, as they're all pretty bad.
    Models have to be cleaned up a ton, animations are usually way too bad...
    And the code/systems are the worst, except for maybe a few rare exceptions, they're all trash.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  38. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any update on this?

39. guavaman

guavaman

Rewired now supports IL2CPP on Windows and Mac standalone platforms.

ShilohGames likes this.
  40. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Thank you.

41. Rowlan

Rowlan