Search Unity

Lets link some people this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nomnomnomplant, Feb 2, 2012.

1. nomnomnomplant

nomnomnomplant

2. TehWut

TehWut

Every gamer needs to see this video.

3. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I saw this a long time ago. Favorite video.

4. runner

runner

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. Duskling

Duskling

This is going to be my signature. Unity needs to make a script for the forums that posts this and locks the post if the title contains "MMO"

Well there are some good mmo games that I have seen on these forums. But still I like my auto video poster :D

6. runner

runner

Most MMO's seen here are nothing more than skeletons or template frameworks if they even reach that stage of development and its along way from that to runescape in so many ways.

7. cod

cod

8. wccrawford

wccrawford

Actually, by halfway through the video, I'm on the side of the hopeful kid. He's saying things to discourage him, even if they aren't actually true. He keeps doing his best to kill this kid's enthusiasm even if it means never saying any of the good parts.

No job is 100% good. But in my experience, every job has good parts. (I've had enough different jobs to be sure of this. lol)

The biggest objection I had was when he started saying things like, "Developers will hate you for finding bugs." This is not true at all. It's immensely frustrating to keep fixing bugs in your code, but a good tester is extremely valuable. Bad testers get hated, just like everyone who is bad at their job. Bad testers produce bug reports that don't provide enough information, or have bad information. But nobody gets hated for finding bugs.

I can't even bother refuting the rest.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Its a funny video, but I'm not sure the video game industry is significantly worse than many other industries. I worked in animation/vfx for a long time and it was the same story. But what are the "good" industries? I can look out my window right now and see construction workers putting up drywall in subfreezing weather.. that doesn't look so great.

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've worked in development for many years, and I have to say that it is true nearly 100% of the time when you have a seperate QA team. It is frustrating to keep fixing bugs, and it did lead to resentment, especially when the bug was so minor that it didn't matter. However, Now that I manage development teams, I see this in a different point of view. It is not the testers job to make decisions on which bugs are important, just to find and report all the bugs. It is up to the management team to decide which is important enough to be fixed.
    The only way I've managed to avoid this "us vs. them" mentality is to embed the QA people directly on the dev team, and make the testing and development the responsibility of the entire team, developers included.

11. DallonF

DallonF

I'm kind of split on the QA thing - I work in web development. On one hand, I definitely produce better quality work when it has to be approved by QA. On the other hand, there are things that QA does that really do cause resentment:

- Rejecting a feature because of a styling error. ("This font needs to be 2px larger") Make a separate bug report for this if the functionality is intact.
    - Feature requests in disguise as bug reports - especially if the feature was not in the original requirements or has been labelled as low priority
    - "Just one more thing..." - I want to see all the bugs up front, unless major problems were blocking you from seeing others.

12. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Are you a professional developer?

Sorry, but it is very true. I hate when testers find bugs in my code.. means I didnt get something right. Doesnt mean I hate the person, but I still hate it.

13. funke

funke

They are glad that bug was found, it's not fun at all to have something like PS3 submission rejected.

Assuming there isn't any girl with PMS in the team, the hate depends on the company structures (management and workflow) and a single person attitude. Some people just treat it as daily work where errors are nothing unusual, and sometimes a new challenge. Things they do are just requests from the top.

I've worked for 2 years in QA and most of the time 'fixers' were dying of curiosity what we will find in their game, and also had some good laughs when it was something funky (possible only in gaming industry).

(of course it's stupid to let them work on minor bugs just to clear up the database and that should not happen)