Search Unity

Lets agree not to become a bunch of snobby game devs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@anselmo94 and @Teila the thing is I did ask her out. That's how it came about that she just wanted to be friends (with me*). :p Its got little to do with fear of rejection. I don't think its a good idea right now. Its only been a month or two since I asked... Ok maybe it is fear of rejection. Or maybe its fear of screwing things up??

I'm just trying to focus on school next semester. But dammit. You guys got me thinking again.

and @hippocoder I never said it was like that. If that's what was implied, that's another story but I assure you that's not what I meant to do.

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

LOL Thanks a lot. My monitor needed cleaning anyway. Really need to stop drinking coffee while reading these forums.

Kiwasi and neginfinity like this.
  3. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Greatest joke of 2015.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

How about "I won't let them go too far". I don't want newcomers to be abused. It's that simple, so it's not happening.

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I don't know about that but the scene in my mind after reading it was quite chaotic. While some may have thought of zombies instead for some reason I got a flash of cartoon wild forest animals running bumping their heads on trees and so forth. Yeah back to work now.

hippocoder and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  6. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

It will never happen , I assure.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

We're not. If anything the ones who are mad appear to be limited to those who feel their opinion is somehow fact and that their viewpoint is the only correct one to have. I'd honestly rather have a community full of newbies than deal with that.

8. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

"How to proceed assisting newcomers" , well they should proceed assisting new comers just the way they were assisted when they were new comers. Simple as that. Definitely not something Mr. Professional like you wouldn't know , isn't it?

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

Reminds me of:

It is a good idea not to speak on behalf of other people. On every forum on the internet there are people who dislike newbies. They don't always act on that, though.

GarBenjamin and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  10. Teila

Teila

Well, that is absolutely normal. :) Just be friends for now and be a good friend. That is all you have to do. Don't worry. If it works out, then great. If not, you may be like me and meet that person who will be your life partner forever.

My husband had actually asked a girl to marry him a year or so before he met me and she turned him down. Funny, but later when he introduced me to his family and friends, they all said...Thank goodness you didn't marry (insert girl's name). lol

He is a shy guy..I had to kiss him on our first date. :) But he had the courage to ask me out in the first place, as did you. So yeah, it is scary, but you did it anyway. Just don't take it as a total rejection and keep up the friendship. If nothing else, you learn more about women and that helps you in future relationships.

Ryiah likes this.
  11. Teila

Teila

Then who cares? Why worry about people who don't act on it? They are being mature and not making a mountain out of a molehill.

zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
  12. RichardKain

RichardKain

"Exasperated" would probably be the term to use, as opposed to "mad." A big issue with beginners coming in and asking questions is that more often than not, we've seen those same questions before. Many, many times. And a lot of the long-time members of these boards have often answered those questions. Many, many times. So having yet another beginner come in and ask that same question again can make answering the question seem a bit pointless. A cursory search of the forum would bring up the numerous previous topics that had answered the same question. It can make it seem as though the long-term members previous contributions were a bit pointless when they repeat them over and over.

I try to be patient about such things. I can remember when I was a noob as well. I still am on some subjects. So I try to be patient about such repetition, and recognize it as a simple consequence of growing older. There are always kids. The flow of fresh-faced up-and-comers is never going to stop, and will quite likely increase over time. Far better that they have someone to help guide and advise them in a more personal fashion. (as opposed to the slightly drier and less human influence of a Wiki or database) You just have to get used to the idea that this flood of beginners is never really going to end.

zombiegorilla, Teila, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Martin_H, Teila and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  14. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

It is not a mature act to d
    It's funny how moderators don't lock or delete duplicate threads and let Mr. Professionals rage on newbies, isn't it? It's fun to watch , com'on!! Then blaming it on the newbies is a good practice instead of moderators who are well aware of this stuff. Awesome!

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yet raging on everyone else is somehow acceptable?

16. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

17. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Who is raging on everyone else? xD

18. Teila

Teila

Haseeb, I meant people who do not act upon their dislike of newbies. Those people are mature. They are not harassing anyone or making fun of them. When someone feels something that is negative and does not act on it, they are accepting that those people are there, like them or not.

You cannot make someone like someone. It is not possible. There are a myriad of reasons why someone might feel this way, including experiences. Let them be. If they are not bothering you, then so be it.

However, you need to read what you just posted. Acceptance. Accept that not everyone is going to like you or newbies or horses.

AndrewGrayGames and Ryiah like this.
  19. Teila

Teila

This thread has all been about not being mean to newbies. Read it in it's entirety. It is a very good thread and we are talking about a lot of stuff that needed to be talked about. It is bringing some understanding to the problem.

Open your mind and read. Maybe there is a language problem here, not sure. But you have it entirely wrong.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  20. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Fine I get your point. Though I quoted Ryiah's post who said "Maturity is the ability to respond to the environment inan appropriate manner" , when you Respond , you should not be discouraging which is something I don't see in some people.
    Acceptance is just ignoring them if you can't take them.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Exactly. Responding appropriately. Sometimes you have to walk away.

Teila likes this.
  22. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It really is an art. That would be an invaluable lecture. I do it by stepping back and observing the argument. As a comedian, I'll stay in it only if there's some value or word play or context that makes a wrong statement right.

First world social justice warriors would take offense to your assault on the foundation of their culture.

Maybe she can smell your fear and that's why you were rejected.

Noodles

Deleted User and hippocoder like this.
  23. neginfinity

neginfinity

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  24. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Of course I read the thread and I wasn't replying to you at all.
    I was replying to a guy who said "A big issue with beginners coming in and asking questions is that more often than not, we've seen those same questions before. Many, many times. And a lot of the long-time members of these boards have often answered those questions. Many, many times."

That being said : "Many many times" , of course if even normal people can notice that the newbie question thread has been posted Many Many Times . Moderators should really lock them or remove them instead of letting them be there.
    Of course I know this thread supports newbies.

25. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

You really shouldn't be arguing with me if in the end you're proving that you're just like me lmao.

26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

A collared shirt, pants, and shoes.

It looks like this topic is heating up. But admit it... some of you are wearing a jacket regardless of the temperature!

Deleted User likes this.
  27. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

shipoopi!

Tomnnn likes this.
  28. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

I am we
    I wearing a jacket and I have 2 blankets on. It's really cold here man xD

29. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Please don't start asking people on here "so... what are you wearing?"

30. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Timing is the key. For example, your timing on closing this thread was absolutely perfect. Any later, it would have just gotten worse. Any earlier, and we wouldn't have got the punch line.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  31. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Just wait a little bit , it can happen anytime depending upon the heat right now.

32. neginfinity

neginfinity

But no socks and no hat?

And? If it heats up too much, Hippopotamus of apocalypse will smash it down with hammer of divine judgement. You know, the usual.

Admit what? I'm having a chat, which occasionally becomes mildly interesting. Not sure about the rest of you guys/girls.

Tomnnn and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  33. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I totally knew I wasn't the only one browsing the forums in a jacket.

We (locale) cannot wear hats at work. No exceptions, yet.

Ah, yes, the usual. A just demonstration of mod-might.

Heated, mild, cold... there are a lot of temperatures being mention on the forums now.

I believe you meant to say guys/girls/ambiguous spectrum. So insensitive! :p

34. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

What about a tie?

35. Ironmax

Ironmax

I where a tin foil hat. Its good against Mind control. But also so show my respect for this forum.

Deleted User likes this.
  36. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I think you can wear a suit and tie, sure. No one does though :D

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  37. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Why do you need a tin foil hat? You're already Iron Man.

38. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Nice pepe in avatar though.

Tomnnn likes this.
  39. Teila

Teila

You did quote me. Look above. You never finished the sentence after the quote so I extrapolated. lol

If you read it, you didn't get the point.

Ignoring is an appropriate response when the alternative is to either be hurt by someone or to hurt someone.

Didn't your mother ever tell you to ignore the kid who is making fun of you? Ignoring is not letting something bother you.

So when I ignore a thread that I know will only make me crazy, I am being mature. I have no reason to hurt others and nor do I want to be hurt by someone else. That is why we have the IGNORE button. It helps us to focus on what is important. It is the equivalent to walking away, which is sometimes very smart.

I realize you don't agree, and that is your prerogative. There comes a time when one needs to accept and move on.

40. neginfinity

neginfinity

That ain't it. That is not a definition of "appropriate".
    By which criteria do you evaluate situation to decide on "appropriate" response?
    Appropriate depends on context and is subjective. There's no "one right way" to do something in many cases. So, which viewpoint is used for evaluation? Which system of values? Why do you think this evaluation is correct?

Speaking of maturity: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2651
    It is often used as an excuse to force opinion on others and justify your own decisions. Or "acting mature" means wearing the mask all the time trying to look important.
    Not speaking of you here, but this thing happens.

Did you have to put "mature" label on it?" I don't want to waste time arguing" would've been good enough.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  41. Teila

Teila

Yep, because I disagree with you. :) Maturity is very important when dealing with people.

Just because you have your own meanings for things, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you and do as you say. So if you don't like it....too bad! :p As for "using as an excuse to force opinion on others", you are the only person here I see doing that. :D

Anyway, I really don't want to talk to you anymore so I am walking away and ignoring you. Not because I dislike you, but I don't want to hurt anyone or be hurt myself. Also..it is a waste of time. ;)

I am going to be MATURE! :)

Ryiah, Ironmax, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  42. neginfinity

neginfinity

Who said I'd disagree with that, though? Everybody has different opinion, different system of values, different beliefs. The fun part is that every opinion is most likely wrong at least to some degree(that includes my opinions/belief/etc), which is totally fine.

Hmm. Don't think so.

Aww. The little chat was just about to become FUN. ^_^.

Oh well, suit yourself. And have a nice day. ^_^.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  43. Ironmax

Ironmax

Well you know, putting metal on my body comes naturally.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  44. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Personally, for me it is "indifferent". If they are polite, respectful and have done due diligence, I'll help if I am in the mood and/or have the time.

If they are demanding, acting entitled or being a dick, I may respond harshly/snarky, but usually will just ignore them, they'll go away soon enough or get smacked down by a mod.

Teila and neginfinity like this.
  45. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Thanks. It was @Ryiah 's idea to put it there.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  46. Martin_H

Martin_H

Harshly moderated forums become toxic very quickly. It would be a bad decision in the long run, I've seen it happen. I might be overextending the analogy a bit, but a relationsship where no-one is allowed to talk about what bothers them would not work either.

Alright, now or never: Who is that in your avatar and why is pepe there? I always wondered what's going on there.

darkhog, Tomnnn and Ryiah like this.
  47. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

48. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It's james franco. Making a face. It's from a recent movie called The Interview. You can barely recognize the guy when he makes that face. Pepe is there because there was a time when I spammed these threads with it where ever it even remotely fit. It was then suggested that I use the pepe so much it should be my avatar. So... it's in there now. Trying to keep to itself in the corner, out of everyone's way.

It kind of looks like james franco has a pepe sock puppet. Sorry there isn't a more meaningful explanation :p maybe the next avatar will have a better story.

*compares korra to aang*

Well, I stand corrected.

That joke was a stretch. My apologies to korra fans.

Martin_H and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Haseeb_BSAA Has anyone told you not to say things online that you wouldn't say to someone's face? No that isn't a threat in any way, shape, or form. Its (good) general advice. I assure you all of us here are doing our best to be courteous to others and help where possible. There's no need to get upset or be mean to others.

I'm just saying what will happen if you act like snarky jackass. To me right now that's what it looks like. I think you know what will happen if that is what you were intending.

@neginfinity Ok, I'll bite. I will define appropriate (in that context) for everyone: appropriate means acting in a way that doesn't cause needless drama, harms others (emotionally or otherwise), and is polite.

That goes hand-in-hand with my first paragraph about not saying things to others that you wouldn't say to someone's face in reality. Its called politeness, and human respect. You wouldn't get snarky with your grandmother, or your dad would you? You wouldn't do that to someone on the street either. In some cities you could get mugged!

So guys please calm down. Not one of us is against you!

Ryiah and Ironmax like this.
  50. neginfinity

neginfinity

Everybody's calm, I think. I certainly am.

That reminds reminds me of a story. "Once upon a time there was a mage. A very powerful mage. His name was used to seal demons jinns and demons, and he could do almost anything. And one day, he reached true omnipotence. He solved formula of perfect magic, and uncovered the ultimate secrets of arcane arts. Yet he was powerless. Because, it turns out, the one condition of that formula of magical omnipotence was that your miracle should not harm anybody or anything. Not here on Earth, not in another galaxy or universe. And nobody could imagine such miracle, even this great mage. So he retired, abanded magic, and became computer technician".

The point here is, that while I can (and usually do) put sufficient effort in trying avoid unnecessary drama/hurt feelings and collateral damage, I cannot predict the future, so I cannot guarantee with 100% certainty that discussion doesn't turn into another pillow fight. That's related to the whole RTFM thing, by the way. When subjective definitions of what is "appropriate" don't match, people get hurt and fights break out.

Either way, I don't have anything to say at the moment, so enjoy the rest of discussion. ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.