Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Let us do our job, please.(WheelCollider)

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by 2pa, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2pa

2pa

Hi, when I think about how many days... I want to cry.// Any chance to get more features of the wheelCollider?

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Developers job is to adapt to what ever tools we are given so yes, Unity is letting us do our jobs. If you are making some serious project with vehicles and wheelcolliders are not enough for it, you just have to do something else. Waiting for Unity to bring up just the functionality you need will probably not get you anywhere.

It's good to understand here that Unity doesn't develop the underlying physics for it, they mainly integrate what PhysX has got to offer for vehicles and that is not good enough for everyone. There are few things that aren't exposed from PhysX vehicles now after upgrade to PhysX 3.4 on 2018.3 but those will not make wheelcolliders fundamentally better. I'm sure Unity will expose some of the improvements later on but it will not happen for 2018.3.

Anyway currently your options are: use existing wheelcolliders and workaround it's issues, purchase an asset that implements things you need or do research and build your own. Replicating wheelcolliders functionality in code isn't even that hard and after you do it, you then get full control over tire physics and are free to what ever you need to do with it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Ruslank100, yant, phobos2077 and 2 others like this.
  3. Deeeds

Deeeds

If you're not aware of the problems with the Wheel Collider, don't bother. You won't know that mantra writing isn't going to help.

4. elbows

elbows

The purpose of this beta forum is not really about feature requests or complaints about weaknesses (unless they are really specific to the beta), no matter how frustrating they can be.

5. Deeeds

Deeeds

Again, if you knew what was going on with the WheelCollider, over a long period of time, and the origin of the problems, you'd understand why this is here.

Let me spell it out, and hopefully you'll understand some context.

The Wheel Collider is famously flawed.

Some of those flaws are Unity's, some of them are due to PhysX.

PhysX has been upgraded to a vastly better version in the 2018.3 beta

The physics users have been begging Unity to fix the WheelCollider forever.

Car and driving game makers have been clamouring for this for ages, because a whole genre of games are near impossible to make without a good WheelCollider.

One of the biggest expectations of this major PhysX update is that it's superior wheel and car facilities will be used to finally remedy the WheelCollider. This has been widely discussed, with Unity devs even going so far as to say that it would occur the moment this PhysX update was part of Unity, and blaming the lack of fixes and updates for WheelCollider on the need for an upgrade to PhysX, etc.

Now it's here.

But the WheelCollider hasn't been updated.

Ruslank100 and phobos2077 like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've locked this thread because the Physics team at Unity already indicated that 2018.3 was a version upgrade and new functionality would not come until said version is proven stable.

This is what the majority of people asked for: stability first, features second. And fair enough. Also we got a pretty mean performance hike...

@yant can reply if he wants but I'm keeping the thread locked because it's already been answered for this particular beta. I think it's perfectly valid to ask in the next when these things may be on the table.

elcionap, cxode and Ostwind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.