Search Unity

less is more for mechanic design, while the more the better for details design

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by hongwaixuexi, Jun 30, 2019.

1. tylerguitar75

tylerguitar75

You're right, but this is the game design section of the forums, not the showcase section or the WIP section...

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Somehow this thread still survives as the forum jousts with each other, artfully avoiding key phrases that trigger sleeping mods.

3. DBarlok

DBarlok

Ok

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

Why you changed your content? Do you have some concerns? I think your question is good.

5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Best thread of 2019.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. DBarlok

DBarlok

Hi. I've maybe edited the comment because i was fighting a bug and was too long comment.
    Im using the mantra fail faster now.

Let's go back to the Hamburguer example somebody given, give me something
    to taste and i will give you feedback.

I will not test 50 prototypes to look for gold, just show me one game reaching alpha state.

Less is good, less is not good, doesn't matter. Let's see gameplay and finish a ONE prototype and take it to Alpha stage asap.

Then you will have XP to analyze this questions better.

less is more for mechanic design, while the more the better for details design :

Nope.

Why?

Let's see football. Seems simple mechanic: you run and kick a ball and the goal it's to put that ball in the other team field, ok. That's in your mind only, it's soo complex mechanic design, far less than simple, even if you do an Arcade football game it will not be easy at all.
    Your mechanic will be nothing without AI or multiplayer, so, yes, to trow a ball with physics will be simple enough for day 1. Then you will need the drive to keep iterating on this
    so many time to take it to an alpha stage and give it to somebody to play it (even reaching pre alpha stage, as prototype if you want to call it) that you will think really deep about if you really want to do this football game in the first place. That's the end of game design theory. lol.

And it's not clear what do you want to write about mechanic design and details design, you mean UI, locations, character design, background history, combat system, dialogue system and the big list of "simple systems" interconnected? Wow, to do a game it's too complex to simplify it in 20 lines of post.

Mechanic should be simple, elegant and concise, not obscure.

Yes, if you are doing a Flappy Bird or Pinball game.

Fun thread.

Let's see how simple mechanics can become obscure mechanics in 20 movements,
    when obscure means: how is this possible?

https://curiosity.com/topics/there-...ossible-than-atoms-in-the-universe-curiosity/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019