Search Unity

Lenovo Mirage Solo — what exactly is it, and how do we develop/sell apps for it?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by JoeStrout, Apr 18, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Today I'm pondering the Lenovo Mirage Solo (also reviewed here, and in more detail here). Looks like a very interesting product — apparently a 6DOF Google Daydream headset, but no phone is required.

I would guess that what's in there is basically an Android phone, minus any cellular. And it must have some sort of modified version of the OS that lets you browse the Google Play store, download apps, etc., all without tapping on a screen (probably by directing your gaze and pushing the button on the controller).

I'm excited about this mainly because it provides a better UX — phone-based VR is very fiddly, always taking your phone out to launch the next app, putting it back in, making sure it's properly lined up, etc., all hoping that the optics in the headset are reasonably well-matched to the size of your phone. A custom-built, ready-to-use headset could be a good seller (and less of a moving target for developers) if it's not too pricey.

So will we be able to develop for this using the Google Daydream SDK, or Unity's built-in XR framework? And as for selling our apps, do that through the standard Google Play store?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Alejandra_ likes this.
  2. abstractronchris

abstractronchris

It's just about what you expected, a standalone android device that allows for 6DOF fairly well in a 1 sq. meter space. UI/UX mirrors 2D android UI for things like settings and stuff, which is very comfortable for someone coming from Android/ARCore land into Daydream VR.

Uses daydream SDK, which exposes floor height and safety (i.e. Vive chaperone) system that encourages user to return to experience by fogging out the view. Was able to create an example project and deploy fairly easily (using ADB! :D) about as easily as deploying a normal Android app. Play store is available as part of Daydream, and apparently allows for an "environment" mesh to display around the classic 2D play store UI when purchases are made.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. crunner

crunner

How did you get your PC to recognize the Headset? Mine can't find it when I connect the USB...so no ADB for me

Edit: I was able to do it by loading the apk on a Micro SD card and installing from there.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. tkhkucd

tkhkucd

In my case, it is just same as the standard Android phone.
    Enable developer option from the setting menu by clicking Build number 7 times and turn on USB debugging.

5. jobigoud

jobigoud

You will not see the device in Windows Explorer but you can still use ADB.

6. ggualdron

ggualdron

I could also do it using a Micro SD card, and I can open it from the installation window, but after that I can't see te app icon in the app's menu,... did you have that problem? What can I be doing wrong and do you have an idea of how to solve this?