Search Unity

Lenovo Mirage Solo - Build Settings - 32-bit Display Buffer and Linear Color Space

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Xarbrough, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I am confused about the project settings I am currently testing for the Mirage Solo. Google say (on this page) that Daydream only supports Gamma color space. There are some other source on Github etc. stating similar. However, I find that the Gamma setting looks much worse than Linear on the Mirage device. Interestingly, if I enable 32-bit display buffer, the linear color setting seems to be working fine. Only if I disable 32-bit will linear only render a black screen.

Does anyone know what this means? Is linear supported, but only for 32-bit? Is it viable to use it, if performance works out or will there be other things that break? For now I don't see any performance impact, but linear looks nicer, although much darker (which is probably to be expected).

2. rrrus

rrrus

Official Google Employee

Linear colorspace is not supported on any Daydream devices at the moment. If you try to use it, it will look darker than Gamma colorspace. While this may look better to some eyes, it is technically incorrect.

The Linear + 16b color is a bug in Unity 2018.1 & .2. Linear + 16b still works in 2017.4 and earlier and will have the same dark (incorrect) look as Linear + 32b.

Xarbrough likes this.
  3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Thanks for clearing this up. So I've turned back to Gamma and adjusted my scene lighting to look fine again.