Search Unity

Question Lego tutorial project doesn't work! Unity 2020.3 on Ubuntu Linux (allegedly a supported OS!)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Jan 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

View attachment 1186768

Do something before I unplug and bin this Linux box!

upload_2023-1-25_21-0-22.png

The John's Haunted Haunt 3D tutorial doesn't work either!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  2. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Make with the helpful comments!

@JeffDUnity3D, your tutorial projects do not work! What gives?

3. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

The only advice I can give is move to a Windows PC. You have been banging away on this topic for months, Obviously Linux has issues, and even the Chrome Box that you said you had working is going to be limited because they are not exactly powerhouses for game making with Unity.

4. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Not an option.

My Brother who does Internet security for a living, says Windows is too insecure, especially when about 2 thirds of the Internet hates me for reasons I can't help!

5. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

Well then it is time to stop with the endless tutorials that do not work for you. You are getting yourself absolutely nowhere. You need to create something, even if it is small. Put a simple sprite on the screen, make it move in 4 directions with ASWD, add a second sprite, make them collide and throw a message to the debug window. That will be leaps and bounds from where you appear to be stuck for quite some time now. Quit complaining about the tutorials and for pete sakes create something.

If you can't move on to this basic step, then maybe this is not for you.

I do not mean to be harsh, but you need to move forward.

6. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

Why not an option? You are an adult, go buy one. Windows PC's are secure. Only a guess, but I bet a majority of people using unity are using Windows PC's. And i seriously doubt that 2/3 of the internet hates you. And what does that have to do with it anyway?

I am really not trying to be harsh here, I would genuinely like to see you succeed here.

7. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Well as it happens, I couldn't get the Lego tutorial itself to work, but I managed to build/run and play the project itself and it worked! Nice little game.

8. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

Ok, so now what, you still haven't been able to produce anything with Unity. You seem to make any excuse you can not to even try to make a simple game

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

If your brother is going to dictate the operating system you're running then he should be the one to set up and get your software working too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  10. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

He actually does.

He won't let me have the admin password to install stuff on Ubuntu because he thinks I'll just randomly install stuff that might break me PC! I wouldn't mind but it's a bit much that my own Brother thinks I'm a numpty!

11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Closed. Off topic / low effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.