Search Unity

LEGO Island 3: An RPG

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MrPenguin, Apr 18, 2009.

1. MrPenguin

MrPenguin

First, allow me to say that I'm 15 years old, and have been working on this game since December when I got Unity for Christmas.

Second, it was about 10 years ago when I played my first video game, named "LEGO Island". LEGO made a second one, but never a third one. So I decided too. Here are some screenshots:

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=193039

The models, terrains, programming, most of the textures, were all made by me. [/url]

2. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

nice! LEGO games... I haven't been around quite long enough to say that I remember those, but I remember hearing about them and seeing pictures in ads... a while ago. I'm only 11, so... screenies look good so far. can't wait for a playable demo! great graphics too!

3. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Looks good, but I'd be careful about using the "Lego Island" name or even "Lego" for copyright/TM reasons. Lawyers for companies these days don't seem to care that you're doing it because your a fan.

4. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Yeah, I'd change it to "BRICK Island" or "BLOX Island", since they're pretty strict on the LEGO license.

I was working on a platformer back in the early 90's for the SNES and they almost made us take out the colored blocks we had because they looked similar to Legos. We had an army of lawyers (EA), but they didn't care. We had to assure them that you couldn't "make" anything with the bricks and just used them to jump on.

5. brianjkd

brianjkd

Looks cool, will you post a webplayer- I remember playing with legos.

6. MrPenguin

MrPenguin

I'm not selling it or anything. In fact, LEGO has endorsed several fansites with these kinds of games. Free publicity.

7. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Looks great - I love lego-based games and I can't wait to play yours!

Keep up the great work :)

8. Alex

Alex

I'd double check their policies on the matter here. They're pretty explicit about disallowing anything that might lead a user to believe that fan-made works are actually original Lego works. As there were already official Lego Island games from Lego itself, calling the game Lego Island 3 is probably going to earn you a cease desist from their lawyers.

9. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

Good point. I think it would be fine if you just changed the name just slightly, like LEGO Island 3- the Fan Remake or something.

10. MrPenguin

MrPenguin

I put a legal disclaimer on the main menu saying the following: LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this game.

11. Dakta

Dakta

Sounds, and looks, awesome!

I too play (note the tense, it is the present tense, and there are legos on my computer) with Legos, and have always loved to create with them. I hope your game much success!

For the legal disclaimer, I would have it read: LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this game or this website.

Good luck!