Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Legal use of assets purchased here

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tanoshimi2000, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Tanoshimi2000

Tanoshimi2000

I know Unity (is supposed to) checks the rightful ownership of materials modeled here, meaning you can't sell something you don't have the rights to, but am I protected if I use assets purchased here in a game?

I purchased a vehicle pack, and while there are no names or logos on any of the vehicles, some of the designs are very distinct and easily identifiable. If I release a game using these assets which I legally purchased here, what is my liability if the car companies come after me?

I've also heard that larger development companies have to get permission from H&K and Beretta, etc., to use realistic models in games.

Anyone KNOW the answer? We can all guess, but does Unity have a stance on this?

2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Unity's Asset Store has a end user license agreement. From my understanding of it, you can use assets you purchase within your games. If you couldn't, what would be the point in buying assets? :p

Even so, you mention the H&K and Beretta issue. You may want to be careful not to include anything trademarked in your game. Not sure what they could do if logos aren't there. That would probably be something you would want your attorney to go over with you. I'm sure there is wording in the EULA regarding those cases as well. But like any legal type discussions, far better to deal with an attorney for advice over what you might get within a forum from folks who aren't attorneys. :)

Tanoshimi2000 likes this.
  3. Tanoshimi2000

Tanoshimi2000

Absolutely on the attorney issue! That's always going to be good advice.

I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and if there were stringent checks to make sure that unlicensed or trademarked information wasn't sold through the Asset Store.