Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Legal issue for indie game developer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gamer123454321, Sep 18, 2020.

1. gamer123454321

gamer123454321

Hi! I'm making my first indie game(actually looks 90% educational instead of a game). I'm planning this app is free, just use make little money from ads. There are about 36 levels in the game. At begin only the first level is unlock. Player must pass through the level to unlock the next level. And the player can also choose to ( watch reward ads video / in-app purchase: I'm still deciding which one to use) to unlock the next level. Yesterday someone told me if I do that the player may sue me by law. I asked why. He said I'm selling incomplete game. I said my game is free. He said in-app purchase is not free. I'm not good in business and law, so I want ask in this forum hope for many professional's advise. thank you for taking time to read and answer~!

2. Pixie40

Pixie40

Considering the frequent 'free to play' format of of having some (often a small amount) of content free, then having to buy the rest... I suspect you were being fed a line. Still, might want to consult a lawyer who specializes in the field.

Not sure why it would be "selling an incomplete game" either. The next level unlocks by completing the current level? Standard practice, actually. Offering a way to buy progression IMO feels scummy, but probably not something you can get sued over. If that was the case then the mobile market would be in big trouble. As would many F2P mmos.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You can sue anyone for any reason, but considering there are probably millions of free to play games with paid unlocks I think your friend doesn't have a clue what he/she is talking about. But have them specify the exact law they are referring to, and look into the application of that law or get a lawyer's opinion on that law. If they can't tell you what specific law, then you shouldn't be listening to them or taking legal advice from them anyway. IANAL

4. gamer123454321

gamer123454321

Thank you for the advise. I'm so grateful. He saids the levels are locked so the game is incomplete. hahaha

5. Pixie40

Pixie40

Uh, your friend does realize that by his definition there is no such thing as a "complete" game... right? For example every single Devil May Cry game locks the levels until you beat them on a given difficulty. Can't beat a level? Then you can't see the later levels. Oooh, how about the games From Software has been putting out the last few years? Those games gate progression behind defeating specific bosses. Hell, even the leveling system of Bloodborne is gated behind encountering the Cleric Beast. And most of the game is gated behind defeating first Gasgone (or however it's spelled) and then the Blood Starved Beast. (or at least finding a Insight granting consumable).

And don't forget the various content gates in Dark Souls 1 that take the form of bosses. The gargoyles aren't too bad, and neither is the demon that attacks you on the ramparts once you figure out the trick. But good luck surviving the first ten seconds of the boss immediately after the gargoyles.

For a more old school approach, if what about the original Metroid. If you didn't have a turbo controller, you had to absolutely master the timing for bomb jumping or you'd never progress past the first third or so of the game.

NotaNaN likes this.