Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Legacy workflow in Mecanim

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by Ramobo, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Ramobo

Ramobo

That was almost 7 years ago, when Mecanim was first introduced. A Unity employee recognized almost 7 years ago that Mecanim's workflow is too painful for some scenarios, yet the solution is still "use Legacy". If you don't want to/can't use it, your only options are getting this paid asset, making your own solution, or using Playables (and I'm not even sure about this one). None of those are proper solutions for something that should be standard.

The only proper solution I can think of is to add an equivalent to the `Animation` component, removing the requirement for the extremely inflexible animation controllers. Or better yet: Try to find a way to make the current `Animation` component compatible with Mecanim while remaining backwards-compatible with Legacy animation clips.

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I was not a Unity employee 7 years ago...

Have you seen the SimpleAnimation example? It demonstrates how to use Playables to easily create something more like the legacy animation component.

3. Ramobo

Ramobo

Oh.

That looks nice. Still, it would be even nicer to have official support for this.