Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Legacy Specular shaders look incorrect

Discussion in '5.2 Beta' started by Steven-1, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Steven-1

Steven-1

I updated to Unity 5.2.0f1 (from 5.1.1 I think), and since then all materials that use the legacy specular shaders are almost completely white.
    The same happened with the "Tree Creator Bark Optimized"-shader, which also now has a weird looking rim light.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's really a terrific idea to throw legacy shaders in the bin and convert to standard. Really :)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Steven 1
    I have to agree with @hippocoder. We're starting to hit a point where if you want to keep using legacy shaders then you can't upgrade anymore. Legacy shaders create extra work and slow down new development as they try to support a path that fewer and fewer people are using.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

And to add a note, if you are going to convert, then use Alloy. We do, and it's brilliant. Easily moddable too.

5. Steven-1

Steven-1

I was under the impression that the legacy shaders aren't really legacy in the sense that they are deprecated, and that the new standard shader is basically a complex variant of the legacy shaders but still build on the same foundation and that the old shaders should still keep working correctly.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're correct. Please, report it as a bug and attach a repro project. Looks like a regression to me.

7. Steven-1

Steven-1

I'm not familiar with Alloy,
    but I tend to require specific special shaders, and so I tend to make most shaders myself. (apart from also using some basic shaders as well ofcourse)

8. Steven-1

Steven-1

Alright, will do.