Search Unity

Official Legacy Remote Settings Plans (Deprecation)

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by tagh, Sep 15, 2021.

1. tagh

tagh

Unity Technologies

Hello All,

As it has come up a few times on other threads we've created this post thread to help provide greater transparency.

Remote Settings is still active and still serving Settings to all Customers with builds using the Remote Settings Plugin. As well the developer facing tooling is still available on the Legacy Analytics Dashboard, to update keys, and values. You can access it with your unity cloud project id substituted in the url path: https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/remote_settings/[ProjectID]

We are announcing some exciting new updates to the Remote Config Service which addresses some additional use cases at the end of this month (Sep 2021). There will be announcements on our Dashboard and we will followup on this thread. https://dashboard.unity3d.com/remote-config

We do not have an official timeline for the deprecation of Remote Settings yet; we are looking to do so in 2022. That being said if we learn through the official deprecation announcement, and feedback that we are not meeting customers needs with the updated Remote Config we will look at keeping the delivery of settings for the service active for longer.

When we have a deprecation timeline for Remote Settings, we will reach out via these Forums, and directly contact Unity Developers using the Remote Settings Service and Plugin with a plan on how to migrate successfully to Remote Config. That documentation is currently in development on our team.

In regards to the current state of the Remote Config Package and Service. We do have several release streams of the Package which offer differing functionality, depending on use case. Currently I would encourage devs to use the latest version of the 2.0.x release stream;
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.remote-config@2.0/manual/index.html

We will have additional announcements in regards to both the Remote Config package and service at the end of the month. We are really excited to show off the hard work of our team, and others at Unity soon!

2. tagh

tagh

Unity Technologies

Good news. We have just released a preview version of the 2.x release stream of the package and highly encourage all users on the 2.x release stream to upgrade to this new one: RC 2.1.1-exp.2.

We will be using this as the base for our next verified 2.x package. It is considered stable as currently there are only some minor documentation updates planned prior to the verified release of this version.

3. DarkjoltGames

DarkjoltGames

As much as I love Unity and its team, this is a completely pathetic replacement for Remote Settings. Having NO pre-made component and having to add a script with STRUCTS for every object is ludicrous. The amount of scripting necessary, while still small, seems rather extensive. It makes me question why there's even a package for this when there's ZERO components or mechanics to use besides the rather useless interface for modifying the cloud variables from the engine (why would anyone EVER want to do that?) With Remote Settings, users could add the component and INSTANTLY connect a script's variable (or even ANY variable on an object's component) to a cloud hosted key. The interface was better, the connection to Unity Analytics was not a problem in the slightest (why would it be?), and the overall workflow in Remote Settings was just so much better.

As much as I love you guys over at Unity Technologies I can't believe this is the replacement for Remote Settings.

4. jlords_unity

jlords_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @DarkjoltGames - thanks for the feedback! We're working on some new features in 2022 that should improve the workflows for binding Remote Config variables to objects. I'd love to hear any additional feedback you may have and see if you have any thoughts on what we're currently thinking about supporting in the future. Would it be alright if I contact you through a DM?

5. RLin

RLin

Was there a deprecation announcement anywhere? I have not found one, but I'm suddenly experiencing issues where Remote Settings has suddenly become intermittent in when it returns anything.

6. BoopShadoop

BoopShadoop

We have been experiencing issues for the last 2 days too - 0 remote settings keys are being fetched

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Remote Settings or Remote Config?

8. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Ari and Rlin.
    We’ve been seeing some recent service interruption with Remote Settings at peak times during the morning, The team is currently addressing the issue. At the moment Remote settings should be operational we will continue monitoring.

Thank you.

9. BoopShadoop

BoopShadoop

Thank you, the remote settings are working right now :)

SebT_Unity likes this.
  10. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

after the Remote Settings service get shutdown on September 30, will my live game with remote settings start crashing ? or will it function normally as if the player had no internet ?

Thanks

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It will function normally as if there were no internet connection. Hopefully you've set up meaningful default RC values in the case of no internet.

12. ZhiCheng111

ZhiCheng111

Why do you always change back and forth? Why is your web interface always changing? And getting worse and worse? Caused me to waste a lot of unnecessary time looking for an option I was looking for? And bring me a lot of unnecessary trouble? What's the point of such a change?

13. DarkjoltGames

DarkjoltGames

I feel your pain, ZhiCheng. Unity tends to make very strange choices regarding things that already work COMPLETELY fine...