Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Legacy launch images not working on ios

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Driven, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Driven

Driven

Changing version from 2018.3 to 2019.1 made the static splash screen not working anymore on ios. When looking at the player settings it's clear that the "Mobile default" slot under legacy launch images is gone. I tried assigning an image in every available slot there just for testing but on my ipad 2017 no splash screen is shown up, instead it's just black.

Any solutions for this?

2. _Paulius

_Paulius

Mobile Developer Unity Technologies

You can use the "iPad Launch Screen" field just above "Legacy Launch Images" you can either provide static images files or a .xib file there. That (or storyboard files) is the preferred way for providing splash screens. However the legacy launch image slot for iPads should still work, we'll investigate why is it not working.

3. Driven

Driven

Hi _Paulius,
    after some more try and error I made it kind of working now. I set both iPhone and iPad screens from default to none and reassigned the static image in the android section (because it said it's shared between platforms, at least before 2019.1). This made the splash screen at least somehow reappear. With somehow I mean when starting the app on the iPad it first shows black until the app "maximized" completly and then the splash screen shows up. I could not reproduce this In another project though, maybe some settings were corrupted. I will use "iPad Launch Screen" next time.

4. SkippyV

SkippyV

I don't get legacy launch images either (2019.1.0f2). I had played with previewing the splash screen -- which you can't disable the blurring of the background image. So I turned it off again.

I've tried setting iPhone/iPad launch screens to default and none.

All legacy launch images are configured with an image equal or larger with matching aspect ratios. The images show in Xcode within images.xcassets / LaunchImage. However they do not display (cleaned build from Unity and Xcode both).

When starting the app ... its a quick white to black fade. No launch image. Then straight into the first scene.

I'm just trying to display a single image like an Android ... scaled to fill (cropped).

5. SkippyV

SkippyV

FWIW, to get the legacy launch images to work for me; I had to go into the Info.plist and remove the
    UILaunchStoryboardName-* entries to the XIBs. The corresponding LaunchScreen-* PNG files appear as 1x1 black images (some sort of placeholders).

Once these XIB references were removed, the legacy images began displaying.

instruct9r likes this.
  6. SkippyV

SkippyV

This appears to be a bug ...

If you modify iOS player settings: splash screen / iPad launch screen, etc. The build will start adding the custom custom launch screen XIBs. Despite turning the options off, the subsequent builds will continue to contain XIBs, black 1x1 images, and plist entries (overriding the legacy launch images). Using replace or even deleting the previous iOS build doesn't fix it.

For those projects, I have to remember each time to manually fix the XCode project.

7. IevaUnity

IevaUnity

Unity Technologies

8. SkippyV

SkippyV

Thanks levaUnity, looks perfect. Thanks asgain -S