Search Unity

Legacy GUI vs "Canvas" GUI performance

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by chubbspet, Dec 8, 2018.

1. chubbspet

chubbspet

Hey guys

Due to some old, long-term projects that was done in legacy gui (and working really well) I stuck to legacy GUI until now that I have 2 new contracts. The gui stuff I do is mostly pretty basic. I can't seem to find any google links comparing the performance of the 2. If someone could please help me with a link or explain (from a performance point of view) if/why the new system is better that the legacy one. It would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

2. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

As you can read here the OnGUI Method is potentially called several times per frame. How often is depending on the types of events which happen at the given frame. Here is a list of potential events.
    If you have a complex UI this can drastically decrease your performance. For simple UIs it can be okay.

I wonder how the performance difference is if you just display three buttons... maybe you can figure it out with the profiler.

3. Digi001

Digi001

Thanks, I will run some tests and post them here for what it's worth. Maybe it can help someone, although my knowledge is very limited regarding UI.