Search Unity

Legacy animations don't work

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Wolfos, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos

They simply don't do anything, I get 2 warnings:
    The AnimationClip 'Walk' used by the Animation component 'Pig' must be marked as Legacy.
    Default clip could not be found in attached animations list.

There is NO WAY to mark an animation as legacy, no setting, nothing.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It's in the import settings in the "Rig" tab under "Animation Type".

3. Wolfos

Wolfos

Animation still doesn't play, and I still can't add the animation component to my script.

4. miroku000

miroku000

I just ran into this problem with my "runningslide" animation. When I tried to play the animation, it generated an error saying that it couldn't find the animation (even though I can see from the inspector that it is listed in the animations in that prefab.) Looking at the console, I had a warning that the runningslide animation must be set to legacy.

In my case, the animation is in a separate file "AsianGirl2_BathingSuit@runningslide.fbx". If you type "slide" into the search box in the project viewer, you will see a couple of animation clips that come up. You would think that clicking one the "runingslide" animation would allow you to set it as legacy. But, there are no editable options on the animation itself. Instead, I had to find the full file "AsianGirl2_BathingSuit@runningslide.fbx" , go to the "rig" tab, and set it to legacy. This is a little difficult since the icon for this doesn't look like an animation, and the file names are truncated so all it says is "AsianGirl2..." and I actually have a lot of files that start with that. Also, you would think this setting would be under the Animation, but if you set the search type to "animation clips", you will not find the right file. Luckily, I was finally able to find it.

5. kablammyman

kablammyman

having the same issue. I do not have the fbx files i copied the animation from, just animation data. I never had an issue before unity4. :neutral:

6. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

The animation and the character you're playing it on need to match.

If your animation clip is legacy, and you don't have the FBX the animation clip came from (and so can't change it's import setting) then make sure the rig of the character you're putting it on (and any new animations brought into Unity 4) are set to Legacy / Store In Root (Deprecated)

abhijeetg2 likes this.
  7. Theinsanekiller

Theinsanekiller

I created an animation with sprites, and i am not able to find that rig tab at all. I am getting the same issue with 2D Animation.

8. tuhinbhatt

tuhinbhatt

@Theinsanekiller Did you find the solution for this problem, having the same issue and trying to use 2d animation

9. mozzer7

mozzer7

Hey.

Having just been looking at a similar issue someone was having on Twitter, I thought I'd share what I found, just incase it helps you out as it can quite easily catch people out.

For those having issues using animations created in Unity (via animation window) on legacy animation system, it may be down to a workflow issue.

If you create a new animation with the animation window on an empty gameObject or on a sprite with no animation component, the animation it creates will be a mecanim compatible animation clip (most probably generic).

If you use this on the legacy system, you get the 'convert' to legacy warning issue raised above, but you can't, because it doesn't belong to an FBX, which contains the import settings! Argh!

Here's something that does work...

Create a new gameObject/sprite, and before you do anything else, add an Animation component (for the legacy animation system).
    Now create a new animation using the animation window (Window>Animation). Name it and save it, then select it in the project window. Take a look at the inspector and you'll notice that this is now a legacy compatible animation.

Unfortunately, this won't help with what you already have animated, but hopefully it will help explain what is happening.

Attached Files:

Andergraw, pointcache and yashpal like this.
  10. jasonFHH

jasonFHH

Great stuff.

11. DuckOfDoom

DuckOfDoom

Quicker solution: Switch inspector to debug mode(see attached file) and change "Animation Type" to 1. Done and Done. :3

$Unity - LoadingScene.unity - runner_unity - Android_ 2014-02-10 16.33.02.png

Vicky4455, momorobin, Vukiz and 12 others like this.
  12. Jeffo

Jeffo

Thanks Mozzer and Duck, this was driving me bat S*** crazy!

13. gdwilliams84

gdwilliams84

Worked like a charm, thanks!

14. amit-chai

amit-chai

Im trying this too, but i cant play the sprite in Legacy mode! what to do?

15. Daneszz12

Daneszz12

Thank You Very Much!!!!!!!!! :D

16. Naruil

Naruil

Thank you VERY MUCH.
    It was driving me crazy.

17. manuelsilverio01

manuelsilverio01

Hello guys, I am running Unity 4.3.2f and had a similar issue as you had. Doing what DuckOfDoom said was removing the console error but my animation was not being animated. At the end I solved the problem; my mystake was that I added an animation component to my gameobject and was trying to running atomatically (I did it this way because the G.O. was a small explosion that was going to play automatically and then selfdestroy).

To eliminate the error I removed the animation component and called the animation through an Animator component programatically. This is how I usually animate sprites but I wanted to do it differently and provoked the error.

So if you are animating sprites then use the animator.. The 2dplatformer sample game from unity implements this and you can find it in the asset store. I hope my comment help someone.

meckanism likes this.
  18. digiac

digiac

Old post, but thank you, DuckOfDoom.
    My hero of the day !

19. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

Yes, thank you DuckOfDoom. Spent a few hours last night fighting with this, so annoying. Does anybody know what causes this to pop up in a project? I swear I was animating my 2D sprites just fine using the animator window last week.

Edit: never mind, work flow error.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  20. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi
    I want to use model A animation with Model B, but it doesnt work. Is there a way to make it work on Legacy?
    It works with mecanim.

21. Suddoha

Suddoha

Not quite sure if that is possible with Legacy. One thing you could try is taking a copy of the armature with all its bone keyframes and apply it to the other model in your 3D modelling software.

22. CaseyMack

CaseyMack

Remove the "Animation" component, just leave the "Animator" component on the object you're trying to animate. This worked for me.

23. Ogien

Ogien

Worked for me thanks,

24. Edmosis13

Edmosis13

Thanks, using mac instead of entering 1 I could tick legacy boolean. thanks for your help

25. pointcache

pointcache

kekd from this. amazing. speechless to what you have to do to solve simple tasks.

26. qq330335245

qq330335245

Tanks!!! what a simple way to solve my problem

27. Andergraw

Andergraw

28. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

Hey I cant reply to your job posting please email me at Levon@cardquiry.com and or start a conversation with me
    Best Regards
    Levon Ravel,

Goyoman likes this.
  29. invadererik

invadererik

Yeah, you your forum permissions don't allow messages and you didnt include your email info so we can't respond to your job posting.

you can email me at invadererik@gmail.com or start a pm with me too if you like.

30. pointcache

pointcache

Hello as others noticed we can't communicate with you, please open your inbox or contact me at antonov@gmail.com about your job post , thank you.

31. AdamScura

AdamScura

Yep I'm having the same issue @gdwilliams84. It sounds like you're trying to get your project ready for GDC in a very short time. I have helped another team do this before, and I have 12 years of professional experience. Please open your inbox, start a conversation with me, or email me at adam.scura(at)gmail.com.

32. abhijeetg2

abhijeetg2

Thanks a lot! This helped!