Search Unity

Left/Right Side of Phone - Delayed Touch

Discussion in 'Windows' started by squigglyo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squigglyo

squigglyo

Original Post below.

My Phone: Nokia Lumia
    What ive figured out so far:
    The side bar for the phone (the one with back, search, home) is what is causing issues. Whatever side it isnt on, causes lag when that area is touched. All input is halted for a second before finally being registered. Its like the phone isnt quite sure what side the side bar is on, so if I touch where it might be, it spends a second checking before sending the input to my game.

Rotating the phone (and side bar) replicates the issue on the other side and fixes the original.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Ive got an app that I have in the store for IOS and Android and the controls work perfectly.

I go to make a Windows Phone version and for some reason the left side of the phone has delayed touch.

There is no other colliders that touch this button, litteraly no other game object sits over it or under it.
    The right arrow button works perfectly, but the left arrow delays for about a second and then starts working.
    Ive tried moving the button and as long as its not on the left side of the screen, it works perfectly.

So if there something im doing thats causing the Left side of my Windows Phone to delay its touch detection?

My code is irrelevant since it works on 2 other platforms, and if i move the button, it works, so that isnt the issue, neither is something being on top of it as there isnt, ive also disabled as much as I can to see if anything was interfering with it yet still the same result with the left side being delayed.

Everything works fine except the far left arrow button, which works but only on a delay of about 1 second.
    If I touch the button (the left arrow) on its right hand side, it works perfectly, but the left side is where the delay happens.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. mbowen89

mbowen89

This only happens on the phone itself and not in editor then, right?

What if you switch landscape orientation to the other way?

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you try logging input events to see whether the input arrives late or something else is off?

4. squigglyo

squigglyo

Ok, from the looks of it, the delay is caused by the side bar (the one with the home/back/search button).

I rotated the device which moved the bar and found that the button worked, but the other side of the phone had the issue now. So it looks like my phone spends a second or so checking to see if the side bar before letting my games button be pushed...

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What kind of device are you testing on?

6. squigglyo

squigglyo

Nokia Lumia 630

7. squigglyo

squigglyo

Confirmed that on the side that doesnt have the side bar, there is a delay for the touch. No idea how to fix this. Logs show that the touch isnt registered until after the delay, so Unity doesnt see the touch until after the phone has figured out whether the side bar is there or not...

Does anyone know anything about fixing this?

8. squigglyo

squigglyo

Seems that all input stops for the delay.

Animations keep going, so the game itself doesnt lag, its just the input. Ill hold down the left move button, lag will start, i then press the jump button and the character doesnt jump until the lag stops.

So, on whatever side the side bar isnt, i experience a delayed reation for input in the place where the side bar would be if it was on the other side...

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could you try reproducing the same behaviour on an empty Unity project? That could help in identifying the solution to the issue.

10. squigglyo

squigglyo

11. squigglyo

squigglyo

Anyone checked out the project yet? this is a really annoying issue that is holding up my development.

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We'll look into it today.

13. squigglyo

squigglyo

Any luck? Im still stuck on this with no way around it.

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I've been able to reproduce it locally. Stay tuned - I'll look for a workaround.

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Right, it looks like an issue with Windows Phone 8.1 input stack - Unity receives touch down events late as well if they are within ~50 pixels from the top of the screen. The only workaround I can give you today is to avoid having touch buttons there. Though, I'll look into whether it is something we can solve internally.

16. squigglyo

squigglyo

Has there been any progress in fixing this issue?

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

sorry for not getting back to you. I'm afraid this was conscious Windows Phone design decision - that area of the phone is reserved for the action center input. When you touch the top of the phone, it thinks you might be seeking to activate action center. There is no workaround for this. The only thing I can recommend is not to put any buttons in the top 50-80 pixels of the screen.

18. squigglyo

squigglyo

Also happens at the bottom depending on the phones rotation.

Thats really crappy. Litteraly every app ported to Windows Phones has to be changed so no input is needed for the top/bottom of the phones...

Looking at the Windows Phone game thread
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/games-released-with-unity-windows-store-apps.195807/
    There seems to be several games that use that area of the phone for buttons.

http://wscont2.apps.microsoft.com/w...157-8bdfebb2addb/Screenshot.58529.1000000.jpg
    For example that game, has buttons on both sides. I havent seen anyone else with my issue, but there are games that occupy the space I cant :S

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Normal buttons are fine (that you tap, for example). Input isn't late if you release the finger. This issue comes up only when you hold the finger down on the button.

Bakanovskiy95 likes this.
  20. pMynLab

pMynLab

Yeah, i also have this issue on my new game.

21. ycarowr

ycarowr

I also have that issue too, there is no fix to it?

Someone knows if that error is in unity 5 too?

I'm using Unity 4.6.8f1 now.

22. GlitchMob

GlitchMob

I too have the same issue (not a dev here) but its on android, so a problem on 2016 is still lurking around 2021, i cant belive it, and you cant even do something about it

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I highly doubt you're facing the same issue. This issue was specific to a couple Windows Phone models. It was an issue in Windows OS, and had nothing to do with Unity. Since Windows Phone is a dead platform now, so is this bug.

If you're seeing touch issues on Android, I'd suggest posting in the appropriate forum section.

24. Adesnada

Adesnada

Hi there, I had this issue as well with my POCO M4 Pro 5G. I tried moving the buttons across the screen and it seems to have a slight delay at the bot and top of the screen. This really sucks because it's forcing the user and devoleper not to use certain parts of the screen. My project has no delay on the previous phone i was developing on (Samsung A6+), I just got this POCO and it was driving me crazy..

25. Bakanovskiy95

Bakanovskiy95

Hi there!
    Edior: Unity 2020.3.41f1
    Device: POCO M5 and Redmi Note 11
    I faced with the same problem - touch delay in corners at the bottom.
    After testing I found out that there is a delay not only in compiled Unity applications, but also with any other Apps and at the home screen. So it's definately not a Unity bug.
    What could be a solution? Not to use this part of screen, change resolution or maybe to use the Safe Area?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Adesnada likes this.
  26. Bakanovskiy95

Bakanovskiy95

Green zone is OK, works well.
    Red zone is NOT OK, - quick tap works well, but long press tap - delay one second.
    More details about red zone:
    It zone always on the bottom of screen on the corners (any orientation).
    quick tap = short click (tap)
    long tap (press) = no any short click, delay one second, click and holding as normal.

*This images with red zones it's just an example with approximate size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Adesnada likes this.
  27. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hello! Any news? Same problem on Redmi 10C

28. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Apologies, but I am locking this thread. Windows Phone is not supported anymore so any further discussion on this issue is moot. If you're seeing this on Android devices, post on the Android forum section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.