Search Unity

Left and Right images rendered with significant offset for Oculus

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by blindmen, Sep 15, 2015.

1. blindmen

blindmen

Dear all,

I have a simple project using Unity 5.2 and Virtual Reality Supported checkbox turned on.

I have 2 cameras on the scene at the same, Target eye set to Left on first one, Right on another one.
    One cube in the middle scaled (x,y,z) 1,10,0.1 which displays in Left camera
    Another cube with exact the same location and scale which displays in Right camera

When I start project Oculus starts and everything looks like works fine, however I perceive 2 cubes ...
    I checked with friends and they see it the same way in Oculus so it's not just me :)
    Any ideas? I do not think that at this setup any offset should apply for images.

Many thanks

2. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hi @blindmen

Could you please submit a bug report?
    We will take a look as soon as possible!

Thanks,

Will

3. blindmen

blindmen

Hi Will,

thanks for reply and I'll give an update on this one as I tested this with several other friend and the results are:
    1. All test subjects perceive it slightly different
    2. I created an possibility to move the other cube to cancel the offset
    3. Each test subject needed different offset to calibrate the cubes
    4. I have created a frame that was visible to both eyes around the cubes
    5. Then some people that needed offset to calibrate before the frame was added now see cubes correctly
    6. People that needed high offset to calibrate cubes were quite sick when I started any other 3D content

Therefore I do not think it's a bug, but rather a user's perception issue. What is quite surprising to me is that non have seen cubes side by side without the leading frame ...

Would there be a good practice to measure an offset first and then adapt the game to person needs? If so should not be that done globally on player's profile level and unity would just compensate this?

Thanks a lot

J.