Search Unity

Ledge Grab and a Corgi

Discussion in '2D' started by matttardiff, Nov 9, 2018.

1. matttardiff

matttardiff

Upfront, I am not a programmer and while I understand that in order to meet some of my needs, I have to at least learn the basics.
    I'm using the Corgi Engine which is appropriate since my game, A Crooked Heart 's heroine is a Welsh Pembroke Corgi named Lulu.
    The engine meets a lot of my needs which is super.
    But, I've tried to follow tutorials online that run through building a script for the Ledge Grab. And no matter what, I run into issues that I don't understand. Now mind you, these videos are roughly 4 years old so I'm not sure if that matters.
    I've attached a GIF showing what A Crooked Heart's previous programmer set up without the Corgi Engine.
    I'm assuming that he's freezing the controller, letting the animation play out then giving control back to the player. I'm not asking for anyone to write the code for me. But at least point me in the right direction towards videos that aren't so old. Or ideas on how I can achieve this.
    I'm asking a lot and I appreciate your patience and time.
    LedgeGrab.gif

2. Geejayz

Geejayz

Hi Matt,

It might help to add what tutorials you've tried and where the issues appeared for you. Broad questions are likely to attract less forum input that if you detail each stage you need help with.

I've never actually coded a ledge grab on a platformer but it looks like the mechanic involves the player object colliding with a corner tile, sticking to that tile and then allowing the player input to either be move up onto the ledge or allowing them to either drop of jump away from it. If you can break down where you are having trouble then each step can hopefully be solved.

Your artwork looks great, good luck with this.

3. matttardiff

matttardiff

Awesome.