Search Unity

LEDA Runtime Scripting Language [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BlackArcane, May 31, 2012.

1. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

LEDA is a runtime scripting language for Unity3D. This means that the player of your your game can write mods with ease. LEDA is an interpreter that executes scripts at the runtime of your game. It can be customized and the full source code is available. Adding a new command is super easy and fast. LEDA is a must for any game that could be modded by the players. You can request features and I'll try to implement them. You can also give feedback here. Enjoy and happy modding :) You can buy LEDA here: http://u3d.as/content/nick-aliferopoulos/leda-runtime-scripting-language/2ZP You can see a preview of LEDA, as well as a tutorial on how to modify commands and add new ones here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-6DAVBjm0

2. kenlem

kenlem

Great idea... Do you have any written documentation?

3. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

No, not yet. I am working on it, though. I am releasing a new version in a little while, so I held back on the docs, so as not to write them multiple times. There is a big update coming! :)

4. jedy

jedy

What makes LEDA better than any other scripting language?

I like LUA, what makes LEDA better than LUA except for price obviously :D

5. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Which are the advantages of using your product instead of using a (free) mainstream scripting language, such as Python or LUA? I would be interested in a comparison chart to know better the capabilities of your product.

6. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

You seem to be missing the point of LEDA. LEDA is interpreted during the runtime of your Unity3D game. LUA cannot do such thing. LEDA's main purpose is to support modding of your games. :) BTW, do you think the price is too high? I don't really know, because I am judging based on the features I am planning to implement.

7. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I disagree, there are several LUA interpreters implemented in .NET and several bindings for the native LUA interpreter, so you can run LUA code at runtime inside Unity.

//-----------------------//

EDIT:
    About the price, it depends on how good is your product in comparison with other mainstream scripting languages. We don't have the information to judge if it is a good price or not at this moment.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. kenlem

kenlem

I can't really tell anything about the price because I haven't seen what features are supported. Can it evaluate conditionals? I did watch the video and all I saw was a little but of code to parse text lines.

9. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

Well, right now it doesn't support a lot, but I am working on new features, including conditionals. About LUA, I didn't really know. Well, that renders LEDA almost useless, considering that LUA is free. The only feature LEDA has and LUA doesn't, is that it is fully customizable. You can add new commands, based on what your game needs and you can shape a "sandbox" to prevent the user from running unsafe code, or cheating.

10. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

LUA also have a way to add new functions to the interpreter and restrict which functions can be used inside the sandbox. However, it doesn't implement all requirements for a restricted execution runtime, so if you manage to implement all those features, you would have a good selling point vs LUA.

11. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

I'll implement the new features first, then I'll write some documentation and then I'll implement a "safety net" for executing code in a sandbox, to make sure it is safe. :)

12. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Sounds like a good plan, I will follow your progress because your product is completely useless for me at its current state, but it could be very useful in the future if you manage to implement a completely safe sandbox (as defined in the link from my previous post).

13. BBET

BBET

I am searching for an ingame user scripting possibility on iOS, where the user should be able to use basic functional programming (loops, if-statements, variables, ...) and also can use short game specific commands. The user scripts should be interpreted at runtime.

I am searching for an interpreter in Unity that I can change. Does you asset fit for this?

Does your LEDA asset run on iOS at runtime? Does it work with the Unity iOS Basic version on iOS?
    Does the asset directly include the interpreter code and can I make changes to the interpreter (e.g. syntax changes to LEDA)?

Is it possible to add new commands for my game? Can I use Unity-functions in background as part of those game-specific commands?

Any news regarding the documentation of the asset? Is there any LEDA documentation you can recommend (did not find much on internet)?

14. ZJP

ZJP

Do not forget Jurassic. ;)

15. BBET

BBET

I was not able to get Jurassic running on iOS. Has anybody made this? I assume it is a problem as it uses .NET 4.0 (at least the version on Asset store).
    I also was not able to use the Asset Store LUA version on iOS or also the Python interpreter. It seems you need the Unity pro version and also the IOS pro version.

Therefore I hope the LEDA asset might be helpful, although the functionality is not clear for me. The LEDA "promotional" video only shows very basic functionality. What is currently really covered by the interpreter?

Is the current asset store version supporting:
    - conditions and if statements
    - loops
    - variables
    - functions, ....
    - possibility to define new commands the use Unity functions in the background

Has your LEDA version anything to do with "LEDA from Budd, Timothy 1995", is it using the same syntax?

Please also answer my question above regarding working on iOS basic and documentation.
    Thanks!

16. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

Not it has nothing to do with it. LEDA, as a name, came up at a party, where a bunch of drunk friends of mine screamed it at random... Right now, the version featured in the Asset Store only has some basic string variables but it is possible to implement more types. It also shows how to add a basic "gameobject" command. However, I am working on a new version right now. Hopefully, it'll be released soon. I'd suggest waiting until the update is released before buying LEDA. If you are in a hurry, you can buy it now and extend it yourself, but I'd generally suggest waiting... Also, LEDA runs like a charm on the iOS.

P.S. Just to clarify some stuff, LEDA is far from being complete. It is more like a "do-it-yourself" language kit. I am working on it however. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  17. laakerules

laakerules

So is it just a string parser that parses through the string and implements what you have designed into c# then executes that? Or is it a totally different lang that uses different scripts and written in a dll?

18. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

Right now it's just a string parser. I am however developing it right about now. I have already implemented a low level assembly language that will be the basis of LEDA and a virtual machine is also complete. I am now in the process of "applying glue" to everything. I am checking that it all works as it should and I will soon write documentation for LEDA. Please be patient as I am only one man. :)

19. brianbraatz

brianbraatz

Is this the same language as this:
    http://www.leda-tutorial.org/

?

I pasted their hello world below.

If this is the same langugage- I am very interested in this..

has anyone out there gambled the $20 to see what it is?

from the earlier posts I am concerned this is just a simple parser\intepreter

---

http://www.leda-tutorial.org/en/official/ch01s02.html
    "#include <LEDA/string.h>
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
    leda::string msg = "Hello LEDA world!";

std::cout << msg << "\n";
    }"

20. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

No it is not. I didn't know there existed another LEDA, I am sorry for the confusion. As I stated, this is just a simple interpreter which you can craft into your own language. However, with the newer version of Unity and the REPL parser available I would not advise you to buy this, unless you are interested in the source code. As stated above you could also use a C# implementation of LUA.

21. Jeff-Kesselman

Jeff-Kesselman

If you want to use C# are your runtime scripting language, I've just released a runtime C# engine on the Unity Store.

Advantages:

Compiled, not interpreted
    Full C# syntax and power
    Integrates much like existing MonoBehaviours, including getting all the same Unity engine events. (You use a special MonoBehaviour that wraps a dynamically compiled
    component that can be recompiled at run time and on the fly.)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23248

Right now the early adopter price is $50.00
    When I finish the support website and do my next release, it will go up to $95. If you buy it at $50 now you are entitled to all updates for free.

22. kenlem

kenlem

Does sandbox run on iPhone?