Search Unity

Question Learning Unity for a school project - Need to clear out some confusion about different SDKs

Discussion in 'VR' started by OnlyCORE, Apr 17, 2022.

1. OnlyCORE

OnlyCORE

I recently got into Unity and I have been playing with different tools for making VR games. I have some ideas and workflows my game/project have to support and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of choices and tools, plugins, integrations...

I own a Quest 2 which will be used for majority of my work, but in school they have HTC Vive Cosmos I thing and I want the game to work on that too when we'll be working on it with a teacher. Also I love hand tracking on the Quest 2 so I would love to incorporate it plus the ability to build a native quest app so not just Steam VR.

My confusion comes from different tools and possible incompatibility since I need the game to detect what headset and controllers are being used and if it's Quest then hand tracking.

I know Unity has it's XR rig, the Oculus intergation has it's own (I have been trying the hand tracking with this), so does Steam plugin (From what I understand it's easy to make compatible with a variety of headsets?) and also I found VRTK on the asset store which looks kind of neat.

I may be rumbling about totally different things so if any of you can push me in the right direction I'd be forever grateful.

Please bear in mind I'm a total novice and so far just folowing tutorials on youtube which is't always helpful since they can be just a few years old and outdated since VR is changing really fast.

PS: The game will need just a basic locomotion, grab some objects and being able to press a few buttons or levers

2. arfish

arfish

Hi,

Isn't most tutorials date-stamped? So why not find the most current one, or the ones corresponding to the headset you are planning to build the game for.

Most of the scene stuff, and shaders, and physics, and so on will be the same anyway regardless of which of the headset your are using. Provided that they do not exceed any of the limitations of them.

3. OnlyCORE

OnlyCORE

I don't have problems serching for tutorials.
    Meybe I wrote unnecessarily complicated question, but what I meant was if I should use Unity build in XR,Oculus integration, Steam VR plugin, VRTK, something else entirely or a combination of these to have all the features I described above.

4. arfish

arfish

Would say it depends on your previous skills in programming, 3d modelling, and game development in general. If you are completely new to all of it I wouldn't recommend beginning with trying to fuse everything. Unless that single detail is what all of your school project is aiming for. If you have some spare time, and want to develop for Oculus at home, and other headsets at school. Can't really see any problems with that. Just export your scene stuff work as assets, to transfer them between your projects.

And the version of Unity also matters. If you are using Unity 2020, or later, all vendor specific sdk, and drivers has to support unity new XR Manager. Up to Unity 2019, there are other driver options too.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  5. DevDunk

DevDunk

Always use 2020 LTS or 2021 LTS (both function similarly).

If you're just developing for the quest, oculus integration is probably easiest, since it already has prefabs etc.

If you want to support more platforms, or want to setup your project more yourself, OpenXR is probably one of the best options.