Search Unity

Learning Resources/Tutorial Suggestion

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by devbyskc, Dec 16, 2018.

1. devbyskc

devbyskc

Hello. Let me caveat my post by saying I work full-time as a NATO contractor in Afghanistan. I don't have a lot of free time but have been learning to make games for a few years now (I consider myself a hobbyist). I started learning Unity with version 5. I've found it to be a great program even though there is a relatively steep learning curve. I purchased several books to supplement my learning from the Unity Learn pages. As I am doing everthing my learning is taking maybe a lot longer than others. I found the Unity Learn tutorials very easy to follow and really helped me. As I am doing it all myself, I've decided for now to focus on 2D. This leads me to my suggestion.

As it takes me a while to work through some of the tutorials and to play around on my own, I have been frustrated with the tutorials not keeping current with the Unity versions. I was chugging along fine when I started as there was a lot for me to learn at the basic level about making games. Over the course of my learning, Unity came out with Unity 2017. I downloaded so I would have the current version not realizing the impact it would have on my game development. When I went to open a project I had been working on, I got all kinds of messages in the console telling me this or that had been deprecated and I needed to change something in a script or similar. Well I hadn't really been into a lot of scripting (my C# knowledge is good, but not that good), and so I spent more time trying to figure out how to change my scripts without messing up my project. The same thing happened when Unity 2018 came out. It really put a damper on my learning. Not that I didn't learn anything, I did, but it was like taking 4 steps back to move 1 step forward.

I realize there is a lot when developing a new version. And I appreciate all the new features and how they make my creatting games using Unity easier. I also realize that tutorials may not be on the top of the list to update when a new version is published. However, my suggestion is to at least have a guide or README or something similar posted on the tutorial to inform us learners of changes, and provide guidance on how we may need to change a project based on an earlier version.

I know this is a long post, and thank you for reading. I am sure there are other beginners out there who may feel the same frustrations. Maybe its an assumption that other beginners come from a stronger programming background than me. I can't say. I just wanted to share my perspective in the hopes that it will improve the learning environment of Unity for others coming to the software. As I said, I really do like using Unity and the fun I've had learning it,.