Search Unity

Question learning flow

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by donbonbon, Jun 7, 2023.

1. donbonbon

donbonbon

I start exploring multiplayer games. I'm new to Unity.
    I'd like to learn through short cycles, that is set in place a simple game (ex: moving a cube) and the supporting network, test and create a more advance game (ex: simple card game) and so on.

I struggle to find tutorials and resources that could guide me into and allow me to get an overall vision.
    I wish to have an basic understanding of the required elements, so I could better allocate my resources. Rather than investing in one topic, master it and understand that it isn't the right.

I'd be grateful for any tip, advice that would help to advance.

2. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

Hi @donbonbon ! There are a few resources to get started:

1) this comprehensive video made by CodeMonkey where he makes a full game in 6 hours going through several Netcode For GameObjects (NGO) concepts.

2) There's an unreleased (but public) NGO sample on this branch. It's temporarily called APIDiorama and guides you through the basic concepts in small-digestible scenes with in-editor tutorials: practical NGO examples for real-life situations, each in their own scene. (its UI/polishing development is paused at the moment, but the sample is complete feature-side.)

3) Then there are the released bite-sized samples here

4) Finally, there's the BossRoom sample if you want to dissect a full project

Does this helps?

3. donbonbon

donbonbon

Thanks @RikuTheFuffs-U, sorry for my belated reply. Your answer helps. It's a lot to digest, which is awesome.. and also somehow "scary" - I don't want to run all over the place. I'm total newbie with Unity. I have some experience with python, blender and js. That is I wish to have the confidence I can isolate the divers items and learn them methodically without the need to put in place complex systems with many dependencies. I wonder if you can advise on smaller steps. Each of the mentioned resources is complex. I'd be grateful for any advice that could help me set realistic goals for my learning.

RikuTheFuffs likes this.