Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question LDR Blue Noise textures generated by PostProcessing, why so many?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Another_Day, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Another_Day

Another_Day

Hello,

Recently when assigning textures to my materials I noticed there are about 60 or so "Blue Noise" textures found in BlueNoise64px under the PostProcessing package.
    I'm sure it needs these for something, but 63 of them seems like overkill when at a glance they appear to look very similar to one another.

What's even stranger about these textures however is some of them are clearly samples of textures elsewhere in my project... at least when viewed in the editor.
    When viewed in a photo viewer the just look like regular blue noise, my assumption is unity pulls random textures into its Blue Noise generator and uses those as a base to create the noise. I don't really get why the inspector preview and my image viewer preview look different.

Fair enough, but 63 of these seems like overkill. Is there anything I can do beyond just randomly deleting some and hoping it doesn't break any effects?

This is postprocessing3.0.3 for reference, so maybe its unique to that version.