Search Unity

LDC (Localized Dialogs & Cutscenes) - Powerful and intuitive Dialog System with tons of features!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Nov 3, 2012.

1. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Yup, thanks, that will help with my decision, thanks for being so professional and fast with your answers, that's been very appreciated :)

2. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

You're welcome!

Thanks for your interest in LDC :)

3. imtrobin

imtrobin

Is there going to be C# or still js?

4. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi imtrobin,

It's likely to stay as JS. However, I just want to re-iterate that LDC is fully compatible with projects where C# is the prominent scripting language. As long as LDC is in the Plugins folder in your Unity project, it will be one of the first scripts to be compiled and you can access it in the same way as if you were using C#.

At the end of the day, all scripts in Unity end up as bytecode. :)

- Mel

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. wdwitte

wdwitte

Hello melgeorgiou,

LDC looks something I can sure use at my project.
    Can you give already a little information/ sneak peak about the coming update V5 of LDC?
    Are there new features that might make the consideration easier for me to buy your asset?

Cheers,
    Wouter

6. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi wdwitte,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in LDC! :)

It's still early days so I can't reveal too much information about LDC v5. All I can say at this point is the main focus is uGUI support. There are likely to be new additions but that will be announced nearer the time. I don't want to make any promises I cant keep! :)

- Mel

7. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Hi Mel, everything goes very well with LDC since November, and I'm still super happy with your great asset! ( so happy I'm pushing dev friends to buy it as well )

Juste a quick question, cause I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. My game is only for gamepad / keyboard, I don't need mouse or touch input, so I would like to get rid of the "next" button during the dialogs.
    I looked for a setting in the Dialog_UI prefab, but couldn't find one. Is there one, or could I edit a script somewhere ?

Thank you!

8. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi aurel_unity,

For support related questions, please send me a PM / email with your invoiceID and I'll be happy to help! :)

- Mel

9. Ebreeze123

Ebreeze123

I'm considering getting this ...but I'm just curious on the multiple choice dialogue options. Can you provide a link on examples and documentation on multiple choice dialogue....also do you provide demo scenes in the purchase?

10. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Ebreeze123,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in LDC! :)

I just realised theres some screenshots missing on the asset store! lol

Well, the standard multiple button screens look a little like this by default:

02 DIALOG STYLES.png

But you can also use the newer Icon Grid style to make things a lot more interesting:

07 ICON GRID SCREENS.png

LDC also comes with 20 Example Scenes, including a FPS and an adventure game demo!

Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

11. Ebreeze123

Ebreeze123

ok thanks. So I can change the style of the UI?

12. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Yes you can! :)

The dialog styles are basically customisable templates that make it easier to put screens together. There are skins for the UI as a whole that you can modify (graphics, spacings, text, etc) and then there are more options on each screen you create. For example, the Icon Grid style is the most advanced of all the others as it allows for massive amounts of customisation! How many icons, the size of icons, whether they use images or not, alignment, all kinds of good stuff! The Multiple Choice style is designed to be simple and quick to implement which is why there are less options on that screen. It all depends on what you're trying to do! :)

There's some playable demos on the asset store page you can check out too!

Hope that clarifies some of the workflow! :)

- Mel

13. Ebreeze123

Ebreeze123

thanks...i buy soon, FYI for some reason I can only access the Adventure Game on the Unity Web player....others dont show up. downloaded the new web player , no luck...im using mac

the old letter style will work for my game...like in the adventure demo

14. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries! :)

Hm, that's weird. Will look into this - thanks for reporting! :)

- Mel

15. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

LDC v4.7 IS NOW LIVE ON MY SITE!

HERES WHATS NEW IN THIS COOL LITTLE UPDATE:

- Popup Dialog Styles can now have custom sizes for buttons as well as custom button spacing.
    - When adding AudioClips, the “Seconds To Show” option is automatically set based on the length of the clip.
    - Icon Grid Buttons can now be easily re-ordered in the inspector.
    - Icon Grid Titles and Labels can now have line breaks.
    - Setting to stop speech audio if dialogs end early.
    - Dialog Styles with custom font sizes are automatically doubled when using HD skins (your styles will stay consistent between SD and HD!).
    - Fixed a bug in the Icon Grid which could cause errors when using logic to hide a button.
    - Fixed SendMessage action bug. You can now directly set the GameObject reference for SendMessages.

IMPORTANT: BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING!

LDC Direct Website Link
    http://www.mel-georgiou.co.uk

Will post again when it is available on the Unity Asset Store! :)

All the best,

- Mel

red2blue and Tinjaw like this.
  16. ocimpean

ocimpean

Hey Mel, glad to see you are working hard , about the new version you are working on, the paid upgrade one, would you consider making everything integrated RenPy style, with save menus ability etc.?

17. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi ocimpean,

Can you give me more specific details about how that specific feature works and how you see it working in LDC, etc? I'll definitely look into it :)

- Mel

18. ocimpean

ocimpean

Hi Mel

Sorry if I was not clear, had a long day
    Basically, the question is, will everything needed make and publish the VN from beginning to end, be integrated in a turnkey solution without the need of extra coding
    In the future version?

19. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

I'm guessing you mean some kind of Back / Save / Load options that run the same time LDC does?

20. ocimpean

ocimpean

Yes sir

21. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Added to the wishlist :)

22. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Tinjaw likes this.
  23. ocimpean

ocimpean

Thanks Mel.

24. Ebreeze123

Ebreeze123

Hi ,
    I'm making an FPS adventure game and am using your software but I'm having trouble with the camera locking on dialogue...example Player walks up to NPC triggers dialogue with your NPC FPS script ( in Demos Scene "DemoNPC_Interaction") but the camera does not lock, so the player can walk around freely...I'd like the camera to lock , just like in your demo.......I'm also using UniStorm and Interactive First Person Kit

25. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Ebreeze123,

If you send me a PM / Email with your invoice number I'll be happy to offer some suggestions! :)

- Mel

26. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi All,

LDC 4.8 is now available! :)

- It offers a way of layering the LDC GUI with Unity's uGUI's UI system (as long as you're using Screen Overlay - Camera). This setting can be found in the DialogOnGUI component.
    - New Updates to the RTVoice 3rd Party functions.

Asset Store Link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/5020

Remember to backup your projects before updating!

Enjoy! :)

27. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

I've released LDC 4.8.1 today to address some issues with Unity 5.4. It should now be fully compatible!

It is already available on my site and should be live in the asset store in the coming days!

LDC Direct Website Link

IMPORTANT: Remember to backup before updating! :)

- Mel

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  28. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

I was visiting this thread to know if other users had trouble with Unity 5.4 + LDC as well, so very glad to know it's on its way to the Asset Store. Thanks Mel! : )

Hopefully it will fix those +999 errors.

29. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

You're welcome! :)

30. dberroa

dberroa

Hey, sorry if this was mentioned earlier.

I'm creating a VR game for the Oculus Rift. Would this asset help if I wanted to localize all the dialog? I can't have a GUI that sits attached to the screen for VR, it has to float and be in world space. Does this asset do that?

Thanks.

31. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi dberroa,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in LDC!

Unfortunately I really can't say. I haven't personally tested it with the Oculus rift so I'm not sure about the finer intricacies. The Editors in LDC do a great job localising text that is setup for the system but there isn't a translation API to plug into externally if that is what you mean?

If you'd like to try LDC I'd be happy to authorise Unity to refund you if it doesn't turn out to work with the Oculus, etc. Eventually LDC will be upgraded into a new product that uses the latest uGUI system (which I believe has options for world space), but that won't be for a quite a while yet.

- Mel

32. StrangeLightGames

StrangeLightGames

Hi Mel!

We are an indie company that are looking for a plugin to have convesation system and have found yours. I've been watching the videos but have a question. Is possible to advance in conversations usind a gamepad button?

Thanks and good job with the plugin, it looks really interesting!

33. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi StrangeLightGames,

Thanks for your interest in LDC! :)

Yes, LDC can use Joystick buttons and Joystick axes as input for all screens :)

Hope that helps!

- Mel

34. Melyne

Melyne

Hi Mel,
    I'm noob in LDC, I love it, but I still a lot to learn.
    I would have a scene button when clicked on it, a grid opens (settings, map, etc.)
    I tried with a GameObject, as in the demo 2 (Click to play), if I have no image background I see it, but if I have a background, I do not see it.
    Could you tell me please how to put a GameObject over the background image and how can see this scene button along the game ?
    Sorry for my English, I'm French.

Thank you

35. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Melyne,

Glad to hear you're enjoying LDC! :)

If you can send me a pm / email with your invoice number I'll be happy to help. Also, if you can send me a screenshot of what you're trying to do that will be helpful too!

- Mel

36. mircamirca

mircamirca

Hi Mel!
    I have a very noobish question, how do i exactly use other skins you provided in demos?
    How to apply English Modified Skin 1 skin instead of English Original Skin which gets loaded no matter what i do :(

I'm planing to use LDC in my educational game, great work! :)

37. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Yay, finally uGUI support! Is it fully supported now?

38. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

@mircamirca If you send me an email with your invoice number I'll be happy to help you set this up :)

@NeatWolf Not yet! This will be a huge update that comes later down the line and may end up being a totally different product. Nearer the time I'll be requesting feedback from everyone so I can decide the best way to move forward with uGUI. The feature you're referring to there allows you to "layer" LDC so that it's not always on top of the uGUI system. Basically both systems play a lot nicer together now. Hope that makes sense! :)

- Mel

39. mircamirca

mircamirca

Unfortunatly at this point i'm still in the process of testing LDC but i'm pretty much sure i will use it in my game because it really suits all my needs. Ofc i will buy it when decide to publish my game. I understand your policy, you deserve to be paid for your excellent work.

40. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

@mircamirca I'm glad you're enjoying working with LDC. Once you have an invoice number I'll be happy to help more directly but for now you still have the docs - everything you need should be in there!

41. mircamirca

mircamirca

Thanks, i will contact you when have invoice number. Keep up with great work!

42. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Thanks for your interest in LDC! :)

43. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Hi Mel,

Thanks for reading this : )

Quick question:

I'm having trouble to display anything on top of my dialogs/LDC elements using my ingame UI canvas (score, hearts etc...)

My UI canvas is set to screenspace overlay, so I can't use the provided option related to camera.
    And the provided option LDC's GUI depth doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you think of something I could do wrong with this parameter?

Thanks a lot.

(PS: before you ask for an invoice number, we already talked in this very thread : ) )

44. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi aurel_unity,

Happy to help but I'm afraid it's my policy to always ask for an invoice number for support. Please pm / email me so you can keep your information private!

Thanks! :)

45. scraft

scraft

I have a question (which I couldn't find an answer from watching the videos and flicking through this thread). Is it possible to use this plugin in the following context: think of a brawler style game like Streets of Rage, Castle Crashers, etc. whereby you have your hero/player characters on screen, and at some point during the level the character stops, black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen, and then speech bubbles come out of the one character with some text in, after 3 seconds it goes away and a speech bubble comes out from another character, etc.

I couldn't see in any videos this set up, specifically we want it to support having speech messages which are too long for the speech bubble (so automatically scroll). Our game also runs in VR so we are curious if there would be any limitations with regards to that.

46. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Scraft,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in LDC!

If I've understood you correctly you want speech bubbles to appear over the character in the scene? This isn’t quite possible at the moment although you could theoretically use LDC to chain the events for you (but not actually display it the way you’ve described, that will require some work on your part ).

However, the idea is interesting so I’ve added it to the wish list! :)

To be honest, I haven’t done any testing with VR yet so can't offer much advice about that.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  47. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone!

LDC 4.8.2 IS NOW AVAILABLE FROM MY SITE!
    (ASSET STORE VERSION SUBMITTED AND IN REVIEW)

Here's a look at what's new in the latest update:

POWERFUL LOGIC NAVIGATION!

Logic screens have been improved to not only allow WHAT logical conditions to evaluate, but for ways to control HOW the navigation is handled too. This means that in addition to selecting which screen to jump to, you can now choose to use a random range of screens and even to directly pull the value of a token itself and use it as the next ID. This multiplies the power of Logic screens and opens up the possibility to easily create some very powerful navigation within LDC.

Some usage examples with the Random Range feature include randomised character responses and event handling, and tokens can be used to store specific navigation overrides in RPG's and adventure games / visual novels.

Here's a screenshot of the new interface:

LogicNewFeatures.png

ICON GRID ADDITIONS

Icon Grids now have the ability to change what happens when logic conditions PASS. By default, a button would normally become visible, but now you have the ability to make the button disabled instead (visible but cannot be selected). You can use this to do interesting things like displaying a read-only list.

FailActions.png

OTHER ADDITIONS

AUDIO
    New Audio options that allow you to force dialog speech audio to end at the end of each screen and / or to fade audio out when the screen transitions out. These can be found in DialogUI.

MISC
    Next Dialogs with Automatic scrolling can be switched to Manual Scrolling when the player taps / clicks on the text. This option is found in DialogUI > Settings > Text Effects.
    Sliding your finger anywhere in the screen can scroll Popup dialogs with manual scrolling.

API
    New API functions to create an LDC Dialog and override its start ID.
    New API functions to change localisations using an int instead of the default enums.

IMPORTANT: BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING!

LDC Direct Website Link

Will post again when it is available on the Unity Asset Store! :)

I hope you guys enjoy the update!

All the best,

- Mel

red2blue likes this.
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have owned this tool for awhile and am just now looking to integrate it to a project. In looking at dialog styles, I wasn't finding anything that just pops up text above a character, but does not require interaction. Is that an option I am missing, I am looking for a character to just run through dialog without any user input.

Thanks!

49. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi ryandb2,

Please email / PM me with your invoice number and I'll be happy to help! :)

- Mel

50. jjdomain

jjdomain

Hello,

I'm interested in LDC but have some questions (I'm a newbie to unity):
    -Can this plugin be used to build a text based (not VN) choose-your-own-adventure game for mobile devices? The "dialog" would behave like a page where user can scroll with finger like reading a ebook.
    -How can things like inapp purchase, device notification (things that are common to mobile games) be easily integrated?
    -Can LDC be extended easily to connect with 3rd party backend services like gamesparks, backendless, etc.?
    -Example app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wizardsChoiceV1.toucher&hl=en