Search Unity

LDC (Localized Dialogs & Cutscenes) - Powerful and intuitive Dialog System with tons of features!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Nov 3, 2012.

1. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi aurel_unity,

Thanks for the comments, really happy you're enjoying LDC :)

At the moment the styles are mostly limited to the rich text functionality Unity exposes in its own system. This is vastly simplified In LDC. I was able to add realtime color animations and transitional fades built into the styles which builds on top of the Unity's own stuff (this is difficult to do in Unity by default). Unfortunately, its unlikely we'll be able to add "shaking" to individual characters of text as I don't think it is possible in Unity's implementation. If it ever is in the future I'll definitely look into it :)

There'll be some other really cool features coming which I'll announce later this month, so stay tuned!

Again, thanks for the positive feedback. It's much appreciated! :)

- Mel

2. LarryWP

LarryWP

I do have a question since it's been a while using LDC. How would it do for a quiz game? Pretty much each screen would be a question with multiple choice answers, some of them text answers. Some would have maybe six choices to choose from.

3. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Alright!

Thanks for your fast answer!
    Oh, since we're here, any way to speed up the global typewriter effect ?
    It's pretty, but a tiny bit slow when I add some voice acting on it.
    I tried to modify the value in the global settings, it works, but seems capped to a max value (100 is the same than 3)
    (Sorry if it's a dumb question from a LDC beginner.)

4. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

@LarryWP: The Multiple Button dialog style sounds like exactly what you need :)

@aurel_unity: There is a cap, basically LDC cant write faster than 1 character per frame, this is to ensure the code injectors work properly when running the typewriter effect. You should try to use decimal points to get a more precise result ( "1.5" for example ).

Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

5. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Ah, now I understand!

The typewriter effect speed is related to the framerate. If the game is running at 30fps, the result is very different than the result at 100 fps. I wish it could be framerate independent, but I understand the injectors stuff.

Thanks for the explanation!

6. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi aurel_unity,

You can set Unity's target frame rate and that will give you a pretty consistent experience that way (providing your game is well optimised). The only time LDC overrides your setting is to make sure no more than 1 character can be displayed per frame.

- Mel

7. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain this, will do for sure!

( For anyone interested, you'll find a video about this here:
    )

8. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries :)

9. solideuk

solideuk

Hi,

I have tried testing this and copied the LDC animation demo into my project, which works fine.

However, its increased the apk size by 20 mb, is this normal?

Is there anything within the demo that may be bolstering the file size?

Thanks

10. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi solideuk,

I'll be happy to help but for troubleshooting can you please email / pm me with your invoice number?

Thanks! :)

- Mel

11. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi melgeorgiou

I just saw your youtube channal about this plugin, it looks very easy to use, nice plugin.
    my question
    how to make a npc popup a simple message like "hello" on his head when player nearby/click/talk to him?
    how to make player popup a simple message like "gold!" or "too weak!" while he pick up a gold coin on the ground or killing an enemy while still moveing or in combat with other enemy?

12. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi witchscroll,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in LDC! :)

to have text appear in 3D space in the game world isn't a feature that LDC has at the moment. However, it sounds like it would be a cool addition so I've added it to the wishlist to be considered as a new Dialog Style!

- Mel

13. witchscroll

witchscroll

ok, through it willn't coming soon.

14. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi witchscroll,

At the moment, LDC 4.6 will probably be the final update this cycle as I've got much bigger features I'm trying to implement for LDC 5.0. However, your suggestion is likely to be implemented shortly after that.

You might find it easier to use LDC for everything else in the meantime and write your own scripts for text popups.

Or, you can use these LDC alternatives:

1) Use the standard Dialog Styles for conversations ( similar to the FPS demo )
    2) You can use the Title Dialog Style to setup text anywhere on the screen ( doesn't support portraits though). This will allow you to use any font, text size, etc and put it anywhere on the screen. You can even use various text effects too. If you don't need portraits to show up this might actually be a good solution for you right now.

- Mel

15. witchscroll

witchscroll

thank you melgeorgiou.
    about the title style
    I know the x and y value mean's the title's positon. but i do not know how to set it correctly.
    what the x and y numbers means? for example, if i want show a title in middle of screen, how to set it?
    what is new in 4.6 version? and when it may coming out?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  16. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Witchscroll,

1) Placing it in the middle of the screen is pretty straight forward once you understand how the title screen works. If you've purchased LDC I'll be happy to offer more in-depth support - Simply email / PM me with your invoice ID and we'll take it from there! :)

2) LDC 4.6 will include some VERY cool features I'll be announcing in the next few weeks. It will be a free upgrade to all existing users so you'll get a free upgrade to it if you purchase LDC before then!

- Mel

17. witchscroll

witchscroll

I havn't purchased LDC yet. just readed the pdf documentation file you post before, and saw your tutorial video in youtube.
    It looks like a very usefull and easy to use package, i may consider to purchase it in future.
    I wonder if i buy the 4.5 version and use it, how to update my project to fit LDC 4.6...5.0? will something broken? need backup dialuge ui/libarary/date before delete 4.5, then import 4.6, then copy and past the backup files?
    suggest add some content in the LDC pdf documentation file, about how to update exist project for lastest version of ldc.

18. AndyMul

AndyMul

The new update does sound exciting. Wonder what those cool features will be?

19. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

@witchscroll Most of the time its an easy upgrade. The only thing you *need* to do is make sure you backup your project before updating. If there are any other issues specific to an update they'll be in the Release Notes :)

@AndyMul I should be posting more news about LDC 4.6 next week, stay tuned! :)

- Mel

20. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

WHATS COMING IN LDC 4.6!

This will probably the last big update of the LDC 4.x cycle before moving on to a huge release for v5.0. Fortunately, this version brings some really cool new features and improvements! :)

DIALOG SCREEN TRANSITION EFFECTS!

Screen Transitions.png

You can now setup independent transition effects for when each dialog fades in and when each dialog fades out! There are 18 transition effect options to choose from and its easily accessible from the Navigate tab!

FULLY VISUAL DIALOG UI COMPONENT!

DialogUI Editor.png

The DialogUI component now has a full featured visual UI! As well as setting up Tokens, Styles and various options, it also provides a new section to setup and install 3rd party extensions for LDC! :)

This means that every single aspect of LDC now has a custom visual inspector! :)

NEW CONSOLE ACTIONS!

ConsoleMessageAction.png

You can now setup console messages at the start or at the end of any dialog screen!

FULL LIST OF FEATURES AND UPDATES:

SCREEN TRANSITIONS!
    - Choose from 18 transition effects and give each screen its own in and out screen transition!
    - A Default Screen Transition can be setup in DialogUI > Options.
    - API Updated To Support Screen Transitions.

ACTIONS
    - SendMessage can now send booleans as arguments.
    - You can now use Debug.Log actions in your LDC screens at the start and end of each screen. Use this to get the status of tokens or any other custom message you’d like to print to the console!

DIALOG UI
    - BUGFIX: Fixed an issue where applying tokens using the API could use the wrong data if your tokens had similar names.
    - New Setting for how fast to fade the background UI when it is being hidden / shown.

EDITOR
    - Completely new visual editor for DialogUI.
    - Fixed focus issues when changing tabs in the DialogOnGUI inspector.

RT-VOICE
    - New option to only play a voice if no audio is setup on that particular screen. This allows you to use temporary Text to speech to test dialogs while you wait for voices to be recorded from your voice actors!

DEMO PROJECTS & DOCS
    - Dynamic Dialogs demo updated to showcase different types of screen transitions!
    - Documentation PDF updated!

I'm planning to release this within the next few weeks and I hope you guys are looking forward to the update! :)

- Mel

21. witchscroll

witchscroll

I'm look forward to the release of 4.6. it looks like it will be a final version during a long time.
    after saw the 22min video tutorial in your youtube channel several times, i notice 1 issue.
    the words in some buttons of your chinese ui is not exactly the meaning.
    you use "下" replace "next".
    I suggest change the "下"【means down, not next】 to "继续"【means continue】
    you use "没有" and “是” for the meaning of no and yes, that's also wrong.
    I suggest change "没有" to "否"
    I know chinese, so you can trust my suggestions. hope it will be fixed in 4.6.
    will LDC have a black friday discount before the end of this month? amazon allready begain....xbox1 also....

22. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Witchscroll,

Thanks for the suggestions - is this for "simplified Chinese"? That is the default setting in LDC. If so, I'll look into updating it! In any case, LDC makes it easy to change this ( just select custom one button instead of Next and you can rename everything! )

Thanks for the suggestion about the Black Friday discount. I think I'll set up some discount codes for everyone who purchases LDC next weekend. I'll make another post next week with instructions - stay tuned! :)

- Mel

23. witchscroll

witchscroll

yes, it's simplified chinese.

good luck.

24. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

25. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Hi Mel,

I'm working on a custom skin for my game, and I'm trying to shift the standard dialog box to the center of the screen as shown in this screen cap.
    I'm able to shift the text (header and dialog content), but I can't find how to shift the background image as well.

I'm sure this could be easily done, but after a few hours on this very detail, I'm asking directly cause I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Thanks for your time!

26. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi aurel_unity,

Cool screenshot btw! :)

Please send me either a pm / email with your invoice number and we'll look into solutions! :)

- Mel

27. aurel_unity

aurel_unity

Mail sent, thanks for being that fast to answer.

28. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries, check your email! :)

- Mel

29. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi all,

LDC 4.6 IS NOW RELEASED! =)

... And because it's the holiday season, LDC will be running a 20% Off Xmas Holiday Sale until the end of December! :)

Happy holidays! :)

Asset Store Link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/5020

- Mel

30. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone!

I've just submitted LDC 4.6.1 and it should be in the Asset Store soon. It will also be available on my website later today! :)

This is a patch release which offers fixes for Unity 5.3, and general Unity 5.x inspector improvements! :)

- Mel

31. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi melgeorgiou

buyed LDC461 this week. encounter some issues , i have to call your support.
    after import ldc into my project, some red errors showed. after delete the fps demo floder, it fixed.
    not interest in the fps demo atm, but hope it will be fixed in next version.
    in muti buttion style, i try to shorten / hide the button. but i have no idea how to do it.
    how to add null line [empty rows] while typing in the subtitle and dialog text boxes?
    i tried copy some words with null line in my txt editor, then past into the subtitle box, it looks LDC auto delete / ignore my null lines.
    I can not even do word wrap while typing in the subtitle box. when i press enter key, it exit typing mode.
    title style, title color change didn't work for me , but the subtitle color change worked.
    the icon grid style. i want to hide the translucencen window, but i have no idea how to do it.

suggest add an 'exit to desktop' option to the last dialog hidden menu. for user can easily make a 'quit game' button if he use ldc to make main menu. i tried that, new game button, loading button, quit game button, yes, a simple menu can be done very quick if you add this option.

hope there is a 4.6.2 coming soon. thanks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  32. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi witschscroll,

Firstly, thanks for purchasing LDC! =)

I'll be happy to help out. Please email me with your invoice ID and I'll get back to you first thing tomorrow ( as its Xmas today! ).

Have a great Xmas! =)

- Mel

33. witchscroll

witchscroll

just give you pm , please login and see it.

34. witchscroll

witchscroll

thank you for your fast reply.
    more feedback pm you. please login and see it.
    have fine.

35. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

36. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi All,

Just a quick update to say LDC 4.6.2 has been released today on my site ( Asset Store awaiting approval! ).

It includes a few bug fixes that have been reported lately!

Hope you all had a great new year! :)

- Mel

37. pasargad

pasargad

how can i change font ?? i need to import and use any other font for example tahoma font

38. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi pasargad,

If you can either email / PM me with your invoice ID I'll be happy to help! :)

- Mel

39. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi melgeorgiou
    I'm on holiday, glad to see the 4.6.2 released.

40. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

41. jmills

jmills

Hey @melgeorgiou, is it possible to use a Sprite instead of a Texture2D for an animation for a cast member? I have a lot of sprites in the game and would like to use packed sprites with your engine.

42. jmills

jmills

Also, is there an easy way to detect if the mouse is clicking on a dialog button? I'm having trouble intercepting some events.

43. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi jmills,

I'll be looking into implementing sprites in the next major upgrade to LDC.

For technical support please IM me with your invoice ID and we can try and figure out a solution! :)

- Mel

44. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  45. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi,
    I'm interested in purchasing LDC.

Could you please tell me if it's compatible with Text Mesh Pro and Curved UI?

Thanks for your time.

46. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi NeatWolf,

There's no official integration between those systems and I haven't personally tested them. Although, there's no reason why there should be any conflict. LDC is built upon the core Unity GUI system which should make it pretty much compatible with everything!

- Mel

47. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for the blazing fast answer!

For "core Unity GUI system" do you mean uGui or the legacy UI system?

48. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries :)

Yes, it's using a very highly optimised codebase built on top of the legacy UI System. uGUI support is currently planned for LDC 5.0.

- Mel

49. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks again!

One last question: approximately when is LDC 5.0 going to see the light, and the upgrade will be free or there will be an update cost?

Thanks for your time :)

50. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No problem :)

Because it's going to be an almost entire re-write of the GUI side, I'm hoping It's going to be in around 6 - 9 months if all goes to plan. There are some smaller updates on my to-do list first.

This will likely be the first LDC update that will be a paid upgrade. Although I plan to offer free upgrades to users who purchased LDC within 12 months of the new version, just so that it's fair ( so you should be good lol ). :)

For reference, there's been loads of LDC updates since the initial version ( pretty sure its over 30+ feature updates over the past 3 years now! ), and every single one of those updates have been free. So you can feel confident that you'll get a product that is regularly updated, maintained and supported!

- Mel