Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LDC (Localized Dialogs & Cutscenes) - Powerful and intuitive Dialog System with tons of features!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Nov 3, 2012.

1. gshape

gshape

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your prompt support and answers! Looking forward to your future updates. :)

I have one more question. I would like to let player to choose which language those dialogs in. Instead of auto-detect the language, is it possible to change current localisation via script (i.e. C# in my case)? or can I change it via PlayerPref please?

Thanks again.

gshape

2. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries,

yep, you can do that via the API like this:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. DialogLocalization.language = "English";
    Localisation Actions from LDC itself is already on the wish list!

To change to a different GUISkin at runtime, you can do it like this ( I'll probably make a cleaner one line function in a future version of the API, but for now, this is how you can do it on the fly!):

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var newSkin : GUISkin;                      // The skin to change to
    2. DialogOnGUI.com.skin = newSkin;                            // Sets the new skin.
    3. DialogOnGUI.com.UpdateForceFocusButton();        //  Updates the GUI Helper.

Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

3. gshape

gshape

As usual! Perfect support! ;)
    Thanks Mel! Although I can't call Javascript from C# directly, I found my way to solve it.

4. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries! :)

It should be the same for C# (other than the first line which has slightly different syntax!).

- Mel

5. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Works with uSequencer..?
    Just what I needed!

How is the text file handled?

I prefer if its stored in one big file each languange, so my translator could work without looking for each text in the editor.
    Is that how it works?

This would be perfect if it does!

Is there a way to add sound while the text appear? (Like a looping typewriter sound while text appears, and a text-end sound.)

I am thinking of different looping sound for each character/unique dialogues.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Gekigengar,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in LDC! :)

The dialog text and localisations are kept locally within each dialog thread - I find that it keeps things better organised (from a programming perspective at least). However LDC can automatically translate the text for you by clicking a single button so this makes things a lot easier. Alternatively you can use Google Spreadsheets to work in teams where the localisation can be written in those documents and imported into Unity.

It is possible to add a type-writer effect sound while the text is playing (see adventure demo for something similar) although there is no text-end sound. That seems like a good idea though so I'll add that to the wishlist for an update! :)

- Mel

7. misterjl

misterjl

Hello I have recently purchased LDC and I am extremely happy with it. I’ve been keeping up with the updates you have been putting out for the past year, and I very impressed with how robust it has become. For a visual novel project it nearly has every feature you could want without writing any code.
    I’m wondering what you think about implementing a save/load menu system into it. Either always on top or in a simple pause menu. With this, you could complete a vn project completely with LDC. Or can you already do this and I just haven’t seen it?;)

8. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi misterjl,

Firstly, thanks for purchasing LDC and I'm glad you're happy with it! :)

There are save / load functions in LDC but it's labelled under "File Management". It can be either automatic or manually activated. There is a section in the documentation that explains how it works - it even supports multiple save slots.

However, there is no default UI specifically for Visual Novels that allow you to save / load. You can probably build your own option screens with the new Icon Grid style to build a basic implementation though. =)

- Mel

9. misterjl

misterjl

Ok swell, I will look into it. Thanks.

10. imtrobin

imtrobin

I wasn't too interested in this until I saw you had added google spreadsheet integration. Do you have trial version, with watermark or something somewhere?

11. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi imtrobin,

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get notified about your comment!

Thanks for your interest in LDC, I'm glad you found the Google Spreadsheets appealing :)

I'm afraid there isn't a trial version of LDC at this stage, although I will look into the possibility in the near future!

All the best,

- Mel

12. Mons1999

Mons1999

Hi I have recently purchased LDC, it seems to be great but I unfortunately can't test it yet because of an error that I can't solve... In the DialogUI script, under the //Callbacks, it shows me an error for the lines containing 'System.Action', saying "Ambiguous reference 'System.Action': function() : void, function(): void. (BCE0004)" (see the picture).
    How can I solve it ? thank you :)

13. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Mons1999,

Firstly, thanks for puchasing LDC and I'm sorry you've run into problems.

It sounds like you may be using an older version of LDC as I believe this issue is related to you using the Google Spreadsheets Importer ( which is now an extra optional package in the latest version of LDC ). Basically, there is a DLL supplied by Google which is conflicting with a different C# plugin in your project (which is using System.Action).

This is the file you want to delete to fix your issue:
    Editor > Hell Tap Entertainment > Shared > Google > Newtonsoft.json.dll

This will take away the Google Spreadsheet Importer functionality in LDC in order to make it play nice within your setup, but everything else in LDC should work fine! :)

Hope this helps! :)

- Mel

14. ocimpean

ocimpean

Hi Mel

I downloaded v4.2 from your website, is there an updated manual for the new version?
    Thanks

15. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Ocimpean,

Yep - you should find the PDF in your Unity Project here:
    Plugins > Hell Tap Entertainment > Localised Dialogs > DOCUMENTATION

Alternatively, you can view the most recent manual on the LDC product page, here!

- Mel

16. ocimpean

ocimpean

Thank you for the superfast answer Mel!!!

17. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

You're welcome! :)

- Mel

18. misterjl

misterjl

Hi Mel,
    Is there a script I can edit that will disable the 'seconds to show' functionality for the one button dialog(similar to the two button dialogue), but maintain the functionality for the 'next button"?
    Can this be done easily?

19. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi misterjl,

Try this:

DialogUI > Options > Ignore All Dialog Duration

- Mel

20. misterjl

misterjl

I would like to keep the duration option for the 'next button' dialogue option.

21. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hmm, you should be able to do this via script relatively easily.

So, you should create some kind of manager script setup which will toggle the setting for you, and in the end of each dialog screen you can try using SendMessage to change the setting to how you want.

The code to activate the countdown is:

DialogUI.dui.options.ignoreAllDialogDuration = true;

So your function should look a little like this:

Code (JavaScript):
    2. function IgnoreDuration( i : int ){
    3.    if( i == 0 ){
    4.       DialogUI.dui.options.ignoreAllDialogDuration = false;
    5.    } else {
    6.       DialogUI.dui.options.ignoreAllDialogDuration = true;
    7.    }
    8. }
    All you need to do then is setup the SendMessage action in LDC and hopefully it'll work!

It's about 2:30am over here in the UK so I'm about to call it a night! lol

- Mel

22. misterjl

misterjl

Ah great. Thanks for the help.

23. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

You're welcome! :)

24. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

The actors can be only static sprites? What about an object with sprites, animations, and all stuff for the action?

25. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi vicenterusso,

The actors can indeed have animations! LDC doesn't currently use sprites though - you setup animations frame by frame using the Dialog Cast component which allows you to organise your actors and create animations too :)

You can also use LDC to handle the UI with dialogs, etc and have each screen control your own system of actors if you need specific features that LDC doesn't have yet. It's quite flexible!

- Mel

26. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

Thanks Mel, sorry but I'm not sure if I understood correctly, I could use a character generated using Spine from esoteric software for the actors too? You mentioned it doesn't use sprites but Spine do use sprites for the character parts.

27. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi vicenterusso,

LDC's built-in actors does not use spines but if you are using another system that does, you can use LDC to run the UI and tell the other system what to do on each screen (actions can be triggered at the beginning or end of each LDC screen). LDC has many builtin options that make this easy, for example SendMessage can be setup visually without scripting, or you can setup callbacks, etc all from the LDC inspectors!

If your custom system can take external functions ( most should ), you'll be all set! :)

Hope this helps! :)

- Mel

28. ocimpean

ocimpean

I asked about this in the general area when I was thinking about text plugins but got no answer.

I am talking about making a short Choice Adventure Text Game. Something like Choice of the vampire or Zombie High:https://www.choiceofgames.com/vampire/
    and http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/zombie-high-vol-1/64f70222-9f4d-4731-9995-f78e53b04fb7

Like a Visual Novel, without the graphics and sound. They use Choice Script for the first game I mentioned, second is something else. Why Unity, because the export to iOS and Android.
    I found a few text plugins, but I can not decide from the description, and the makers do not offer a trial version.

Maybe you have a suggestion for me how I should handle this?
    LDC could handle the logic, and navigation, but I can not have large amount of text displayed full screen, one page at the time, can I?

29. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi ocimpean,

Well LDC is certainly equipped to handle this! :)

If you're aiming to have a minimalistic UI so that text is the focus of your game this is very possible. Basically, you remove the graphical parts of the UI skins that LDC uses and you'll pretty much be set.

As for displaying lots of text, LDC has a dialog style called "Title" which is typically used to display title / chapter sequences. In a project like yours it can easily be modified to create full screen text - here's an "almost" example from the Visual Novel / Comic Demo:

TitleScreens.png

It allows you to set the position and colour of the text too - separately for both the title (white text) and subtitle (red text). Fonts and text alignment can be setup in the skin itself so you can get the look that you want.

Its possible to have the "Multiple Choice" dialog style of LDC to display more text in the header area by tweaking the skin, I just spent 10 minutes trying to make something similar - here's a screenshot (I borrowed some text from the example you sent over! lol):

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 14.41.34.png

You can of course modify the highlights, look, etc. In any case, the above was built with the "Multiple Choice" dialog style with the skin tweaked to support large header text! :)

- Mel

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  30. ocimpean

ocimpean

You need to know something, ask a developer :), in this case, Mel.

- Now I have the confirmation that I made the right CHOICE, and my LDC purchase last year was based on logic, not because I was influenced by the charming personality of the developer...

Mel influence +1
    :cool:

31. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Haha, thanks for the kind words! :)

- Mel

32. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Brilliant work! I wish I would have found this asset months ago- I'm going to purchase it just based on the dialog functionality but I was wondering if there are any tutorials/demo's showing how one would create cutscenes with it? I'm interested in how it manages the camera cuts etc- thanks and looking forward to using it.

33. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi mdotstrange,

Thanks for your interest in LDC and your positive comments! :)

LDC is able to work with pretty much any cutscene system. It offers easy functionality with uSequencer (as there has been some cross development between both products), as well as most third party or custom solutions. These can be accessed easily via the "SendMessage" actions on each LDC screen. This can also be used to start pre-made animations built with Unity's Animation component by simply sending a "Play" command using LDC's SendMessage features.

LDC allows you to pretty much utilise whatever system you want!

As for videos, the closest tutorial we have is for something similar to the comic demo - that doesn't really use cameras though which is what I think you were implying. Perhaps I'll look into putting together some more in the future!

- Mel

34. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Yes- thank you for the reply- SendMessage ok- awesome- looking forward to using it.

35. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

36. mzamara

mzamara

Hey Mel! I've been following this thread for a couple days (reading all the posts and updates), and have a couple questions (and a feature request) for you before I make my purchase.

My plan is to use your plugin for interactive books/stories, which I'm hoping to be able to delivery as downloadable content to customers. (1 app, with lots of 'books' to unlock/buy/download etc..)

Ideally I'd expect to be able to bundle a certain amount of content upfront, and then the remainder via IAP's and a download manager. I was hoping to be able to use Unibill/Unicontent (http://outlinegames.com/unicontent.html) for handling the IAP/downloads.

Do you think this will be too difficult to manage? I expect that I would be able to store the assets and prefabs for the dialogs on the unibill server, and load them dynamically into my project. Is this the correct approach? I'm definitely no Unity expert, so any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, a feature request if you don't mind.. I'd love to be able to have a word by word highlighting to match the audio for a specific dialog. It would ideally need to be automatic, detecting the word breaks based on the audio file, with some kind of manual adjustment options if possible. This would help me immensely in having narration go along with the text, which will matter for the type of books I'm building.

Thanks for all your help! I'll be likely purchasing a copy today :)

-MHz

37. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi mzamara,

Having dialogs accessible after purchasing an IAP should be pretty straightforward. You could either download it from a server although it would probably be easier to have it already "locked" in your app - and once the user purchases the extra content the app writes a PlayerPrefs key (or an LDC Token directly) and then you can have it accessible that way. Obviously you'd need to look more into how Unibill works but everything on the LDC side should be pretty easy to do. :)

As for word-for-word highlighting, that seems to be a rather specific request and particularly difficult to implement I'm afraid. I will add it to the wishlist though!

- Mel

38. NevaCross

NevaCross

Mel,

The word highlighting is a very important option for those of us interested in creating educational books. That feature would definitely set your product a cut above and make it very marketable in the education sector. That being said, i agree it is a difficult feature to implement -- or others would have done so!

39. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi NevaCross,

I will definitely look into this further after the next few upgrades. It's the dynamic scanning of audio files that seems significantly difficult (especially cross platform) but none the less I'll be keeping it in mind! :)

- Mel

40. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

Hi mel, been using your asset to create novel game. Im stumbled upon about the save system. I see that LDC has token feature for saving game. How can we implement token system for saving scenes where there will be many branches on the novel game? (depending on which storyline the player choose). For simple example, the player can only choose 1 path between 2 path, path to the darkside and path to the lightside. Depending from conversations and dialogues, the player can choose either become evil or become good. So, how the save system on LDC can manage this? Thanks.

41. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Earthsnake,

Well one way you could do it involves you creating a new token in the DialogUI Component - for this example lets call it "SavePoint".

At certain points in your dialogs, you could update this token to reflect the position of the player in the story (easily done in the Actions tab!).

The first dialog screen in your game should then be a logic screen where you can compare the token that was saved, and then play the correct dialog screen which would take them back to where they were. You would also setup the ELSE block to default to the first dialog screen in your game as that would imply the "SavePoint" token hadn't been saved yet.

Alternatively, you could use your own custom script instead of the logic screen if you would rather do it dynamically.

I hope that makes sense! :)

BTW: In the next update to LDC one of the main features is the ability to play a new dialog screen and override the startID, which will take you exactly to any screen of any dialog thread! This update will be available in the next few weeks! :)

42. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

Hi mel, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but can you explain a little bit more technical about how to update the token to reflect the position of the player? I've noticed that we can use token to save elements such as name of the characters, age, and other characters identities, but I'm still confused about how to save the scene's position using token.

Thank you, and good to hear about the upcoming update :D

43. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Earthsnake,

ok, hopefully I can explain it with more detail this time around! :)

Here are 3 approaches to saving / loading tokens in LDC. There are many more ways this can be done but this should give you some ideas!

Basic Setup - Automatically Saving / Loading Tokens

If you literally just need to save if the player is good / evil - this can be done by setting up a token called IsPlayerGood and then set it to TRUE or FALSE (or you could use 0 or 1 to represent this). This can be done in the Actions tab of any dialog screen, or by script using the LDC API (see the docs for sample code).

Tokens will be saved and loaded automatically for you if you have setup File Management in the DialogUI component. First of all, you would probably want to set it up like this:

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 12.43.24.png

This means that Automatic File Management (Saving/Loading) is taking place in this scene.

Load On Awake
    means that the previously saved tokens will be automatically loaded at the start of the level, and Save On Destroy means that your tokens will automatically be saved if the DialogUI object is destroyed ( which happens when the game exits or the level ends ).

At this point, your tokens will automatically be saved and loaded! :)

Saving The Current Scene / Level

It also makes sense to have another token called CurrentLevel and at the start of each of these levels, you should set the name of the current level via script. So you could setup something like this:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. // CurrentLevel.js
    3. function Start(){
    5. // This sets the token "Current Level" to the name of the scene that was last loaded!
    6. DialogUI.API_SetToken( "CurrentLevel", Application.loadedLevelName );
    8. }
    Now you will have the current level saved as a token! On the main menu of your game, if the player clicks "Start Game", you can grab this token and load the correct level! :)

NOTE: Don't use the CurrentLevel.js script on the main menu - only use it on the levels you want to actually track! :)

Using Save Points

ok, this is a more complicated setup that tracks the player's progress in the game and within levels. It assumes that your dialog sequences are split up into different game objects. For example, lets assume you have the following LDC GameObjects called "Dialog01", "Dialog02" and "Dialog03" (each consisting of any number of screens).

What we're trying to do in this example is save which dialog is being played so if the user exits and returns to the game later, it will play that specific dialog. Whenever you show a dialog, we need to save it to the token so the game knows that the player reached that point.

So, when Dialog01 plays in your game, you could set a Token called "SavePoint" to "Dialog01" (you do this in the Actions tab on the first screen). Now, the game will know that you reached Dialog01 and it will be automatically saved for you behind the scenes.

You will do this on your other dialogs too. So if Dialog02 plays, you will set the token "SavePoint" to "Dialog02", and if Dialog03 plays, you will set the token "SavePoint" to "Dialog03", etc.

So if you want the player to resume from one of these dialogs, you should create a dialogue with a logic screen to determine which dialog should be loaded first. Alternatively, you can make a script to handle this instead - whatever is easier for you. The logic screen in the dialog will look something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 13.09.35.png

On each screen, you would use the navigation tab to load the correct Dialog in the scene. If you have many save points in each scene, and your experienced with programming, you can recreate this in script instead.

At this point, you should be able to create save points in your games. You are not limited to only doing this during dialog screens. In fact, if you are using the API, you can save tokens at any time at all.

This is a complicated area but I hope this makes more sense! :)

- Mel

44. cat3515

cat3515

Hi,Mel
    Just before i buy the plugin, i would like to know how can i trigger a dialogue when the player meets an NPC... and how can i do that
    I'm new in unity and this pluguin is probably the best choice to my 3d game...
    Or how can i trigger a dialog when the player enters a specific room...
    I would be very pleased if you could explain if this is possible...
    Thanks.

45. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi cat3515,

Yes all of the above is very straightforward with LDC! There is in fact a demo scene included that has a 3D environment with the player being able to talk to characters and triggering dialogs. This will be a great start for you to get to grips with how it works as it is pretty much exactly what you asked.

As for triggering dialogs when a player enters a room, this is also very easy to do with a collider in your scene. You would write a simple script like this and attach it to a boxCollider in the room:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var myDialog : GameObject; // Put your LDC Dialog here in the inspector.
    3. OnTriggerEnter(){
    4.    Instantiate(myDialog);
    5. }
    LDC Dialogs work great as prefabs - so as soon as you add one to your scene, it will literally just work!

- Mel

46. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Just purchased this- really looking forward to using it- would this be the best place to ask questions when I have them or is there another forum? Thanks!

47. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi mdotstrange,

Thanks for purchasing LDC! :)

email for support is preferable but forum is fine for thoughts, discussion, wishlist, etc! :)

- Mel

48. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Sounds good- thank you Mel!

49. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

50. mzamara

mzamara

Hey Mel, I did some googling, and found a project that might help with the request a few of us had about text highlighting that matches audio.

https://github.com/westonruter/html5-audio-read-along

Maybe this can be leveraged in some capacity in the plugin, or at least serve as a way of coming up with a solution that works within unity :)

Also, just wanted to ask.. does LDC work with unity 5.0? I've been trying to follow the tutorials provided, but have seemed to keep hitting some walls and noticing some compile errors in a fresh project. Any update on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015