Search Unity

"ld: could not reparse bitcode bundle" on iOS builds

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by SomeCode, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SomeCode

SomeCode

Description of issue:

Hey guys. Seemingly out of nowhere, our iOS cloud builds have been failing with the following error message:

10457: ▸ ❌; ld: could not reparse object file in bitcode bundle: 'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1001.0.46.3.0_0' Reader: '1000.11.45.5_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 10.0.0, (clang-1000.11.45.5)' for architecture armv7
    10458: ▸ ❌; clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

On the first instance of this failure, another iOS cloud build config on the exact same hash succeeded, but from that point forward, each build has failed with the above message after "Unity Finished exporting player successfully" has been output and what seems to be during the Linking process.

I'm not sure where to begin in diagnosing the error. It doesn't seem to be tied to a particular commit - changing the config's branch to an older, previously succeeding commit will fail, and even triggering rebuilds on configs for older hashes that were succeeding now also fail.

Google tells me that the error is usually associated with using an outdated version of XCode to build, but our builds are set to Latest Compatible Version and have been building with XCode 10.1.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! It seems that builds started to fail about three days ago on April 25th. Our configs are set to use the Latest Unity 2018.3 build. If any other info would be helpful, please let me know.

----

Unity version: Unity 2018.3.7

XCode version: 10.1

Source control: Git

Local build platform: OSX / Windows

Build target: iOS

Relevant plugins being used:
    Google Play Games
    Playfab
    Lunar Console
    Cinemachine
    TextMesh Pro
    UPM Git Extension
    Unity Ads
    Probably more...

Project name: -

Build log (relevant chunk):
    10457: ▸ ❌; ld: could not reparse object file in bitcode bundle: 'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1001.0.46.3.0_0' Reader: '1000.11.45.5_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 10.0.0, (clang-1000.11.45.5)' for architecture armv7
    10458: ▸ ❌; clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Does it build locally from a fresh checkout?: Yes

EDIT: Conforming to posting template

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. fox

fox

Hello. We are facing the same issue, with the same values in Producer and Reader numbers. Local builds work as expected. Did you manage to solve this?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. kirilledelman

kirilledelman

Same problem here.

Workaround is to set "Enable Bitcode" to "No" in XCode project Build Settings.

monoganog and rsodre like this.
  4. Nik_Kov

Nik_Kov

5. DanielSuperKing

DanielSuperKing

I don't know if you guys ever solved this... but it looks like your "producer" is XCode 10.2

Check out this link which shows which version of the LLVM C compiler goes with which XCode.
    https://gist.github.com/yamaya/2924292

# Xcode 10.1 (10B61)
    Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)

# Xcode 10.2 (10E125)
    Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.3)

I'm having the same problem with Jenkins builds where the build machine is on 10.1 but the "producer" all of a sudden is either 10.2.1 or 10.3

The only think I can think of that is different is switch over to a new macbook, and installed a newer version of XCode than what was on the old machine, but I can't figure out why that would affect Jenkins because nowhere can I find a reference to XCode version that was pushed to the project git repo.

Don't know how much this actually helps, or if you're still having this problem.

rocket5tim likes this.
  6. John1515

John1515

Edit: probably out of date Xcode..

I'm now experiencing this with Unity 2019.4.3, Xcode 11.2.1. Sure it works if I switch off bitcode for the UnityFramework but that doesn't seem right...

ld: could not reparse object file in bitcode bundle: 'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1103.0.32.62.0_0' Reader: '1100.0.33.12_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 11.0.0, (clang-1100.0.33.12)' for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

7. sebplus

sebplus

Same here, with Unity 2020.1.0b12 and Xcode 11.3.1:

ld: could not reparse object file in bitcode bundle: 'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1103.0.32.29.0_0' Reader: '1100.0.33.17_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 11.0.0, (clang-1100.0.33.17)' for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  8. Numa

Numa

This means your project contains a library that was built with a more recent version of xcode.
    For example Producer: '1103.0.32.29.0_0' Reader: '1100.0.33.17_0'
    Means this particular library was built with xcode 11.03 but you are currently using xcode 11.00 to build your project

Update (or install side-by-side) xcode to be 11.03 or greater and it should build fine.

Vaitor likes this.
  9. AytoMaximo

AytoMaximo

Same here with Unity 2019.4.4 and Xcode 11.6
    How it can be possible if my Xcode is the latest?

10. Numa

Numa

Producer: '1200. makes me think this could have been built with the beta version of xcode 12 (available on the apple developer portal, I think you need to be a paying member to download it)

11. AytoMaximo

AytoMaximo

I wonder what a stupid man could publish a plugin created with beta version of Xcode? And the most important thing - how I can get to know what plugin causes this issue? I can download Xcode 12, but I can’t send my app to the AppStore builded with beta version, so it’s useless.

Saicopate likes this.
  12. Dalton-Lima

Dalton-Lima

Well, I get your frustration, but it may have its use.
    I run (again) into this problem today.

By using ARFoundation 4.1.0 preview 6, I was relying on some feature that was available in iOS 14 beta, thus needing XCode 12 beta to build it.

I understand the frustration as this error is not so clear by XCode and Unity also didn't warn us that. I had to read through a lot to get an idea of what library was responsible, even though I had a similar problem before.

A solution in my case was to rollback ARFoundation for the moment.
    I could compile with XCode Beta, and that worked, still in this case only for Beta testing on TestFlight. It could be useful if you want to test an exclusive new feature before the release.

AytoMaximo likes this.
  13. AytoMaximo

AytoMaximo

Thanks, that's exactly what it is! I had ARFoundation 4.1.0 preview 5 in my project, but not because of new features. I faced some ARKit crashes on 4.0.2, so I had a hope that a newer version works better. Fortunately, I can rollback to 4.0.2, because I gave up on ARKit Collaboration (problem guy indeed) and using only Image Recognition feature now.

Dalton-Lima likes this.
  14. konsnos

konsnos

I get this error with ARFoundation 4.0.2 and Unity 2019.4.8f1.

Which Unity version are you using?

15. AytoMaximo

AytoMaximo

16. glaksmono

glaksmono

Does anyone got this worked out?

17. RSH1

RSH1

Getting this on archive with Unity 2019.4.19f1 and XCode 12.4

18. krisventure

krisventure

This means one of your 3rd party assets were built using a higher version number of XCode (“Producer”) than the XCode you’re trying to artchive with (“Reader”). However, it gives no hint which asset is it. Installing the latest XCode would solve it. If that’s not possible (eg. it requires upgrading to OSX version that’s not compatible with your mac), then you need to find the offending asset by trial and error (remove one asset, build, archive again etc) and downgrade it to an older version that was built with an older XCode. Very time-consuming. My Mac is too old, Monterey has no support for it so I'm stuck on Big Sur which means I can't upgrade above XCode 13.2. In my case the culprit was Google Mobile Ads, I've downgraded it to an older version and I can finally archive and upload. But I guess it's time for me to buy a new Mac.

DarkoJovic likes this.
  19. grmmt

grmmt

you downgraded to what version?

20. FunInfused

FunInfused

I'm running into this now from the Unity Build Automation. I can't fix this by changing XCode settings because this isn't happening from XCode.

If one of my libraries would built with the wrong version, is there a way to easily tell which one it is?

Last edited: May 14, 2023