Search Unity

Layout and Hierarchy Changes Via Script

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Thickney, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Thickney

Thickney

I have a VerticalLayout set up with some entries and I want to be able to swap the positions of the entries fairly often. I noticed that just dragging an entry object in the scene view hierarchy automatically updates the positions nicely, but I don't see any way of doing this via a custom script? Is there anything available that would let me shift a transform up or down in a hierarchy?

The only way I'm seeing of getting this to work with the new UI system is if I destroy all entries and instantiate the whole list in a different order whenever I need to do a refresh, which is horribly inefficient.

2. JAKJ

JAKJ

Try the SiblingIndex functions inside Transform and see if it triggers layout updates.

3. Kylotan

Kylotan

It would be great if the documentation for SetSiblingIndex said a bit more than "Sets the sibling index" too. ;)

4. Thickney

Thickney

Thank you very much! I do all of my repositioning now with SetSiblingIndex and then disable/enable the VerticalLayoutGroup script so that it refreshes. It would be nice if the layout scripts could have basic properties like setting the group item index. It's kind of a black box right now, but I'll take it.