Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Layer Based Terrain Editing / Non-Destructive Workflow?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by backwheelbates, Feb 7, 2023.

1. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

I was just curious, does Unity offer any ways to edit/modify the terrain using photoshop style layers? It would be great to non-destructively edit the terrain, add features to separate layers, adjust layer weights, turn on-off, etc. Is this something that's possible now or on any roadmaps?
    Thanks for any info!!

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

3. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

4. joshcamas

joshcamas

They have officially said they are working on it.

But indeed it's hard to know if they are still working on it, team size (it's not unusual for a large scale feature to have a team of 2), whether it will ever release as experimental, and whether it will ever get out of experimental. And of course whether it will be any good.

In other words, don't hold your breath. There are a few assets out there that may help you, such as Microverse.

5. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Wow, that looks great!!

6. chingwa

chingwa

I wouldn't hold my breath for Unity to deliver this. I've been using Microverse for the past 6 months and it's been great. It's completely non-destructive, and as such it may take a little time to get used to it's way of working. I decided to completely re-do the terrain in my main project using it (which is months of rework!) because I find it is the best way to work with Unity terrain.

joshcamas likes this.
  7. joshcamas

joshcamas

Looks great, but is 3 years late without a peep from unity about it :p It's vaporware until Unity proves otherwise

8. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Looking at the roadmap, a new card has been added recently, showing that some work seems to be done on "Non-destructive contextual workflows" for terrains... some custom inspectors are visible there, but might be an old thing, who knows

https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/3d-world-building