Search Unity

latest best of breed tools?

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by tbarbe, May 22, 2010.

1. tbarbe

tbarbe

hi

Im just getting back into Unity after a long hiatus.

I have a question about tool chain and use with Unity...

Which tools are considered best of breed tools that work best with Unity?

I had previously gotten Modo... but I saw a few reports cropping up of issues getting assets between those tools.

What do most people around here consider to be the better tool chain for animation, modeling etc for the best results for Unity iPhone...?

I want to be sure we get a shot at the absolute highest quality output...

Should I go get Maya? 3DSmax? If cost is no factor... what is the choice?

I know this is all very subjective - but I'd just like to get an unscientific quick overview of what most of the crowd thinks...

cheers.

2. tbarbe

tbarbe

Ill be more specific...

which 3rd party tools have the least problems getting:

models, animation, and textures baked on nicely?

3. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

If price is no object, you really can't go wrong with any of the Autodesk tools, including Softimage.If you're working in OS X, Maya is really your only choice of the big three.

A lot of folks here also use Cinema 4D.

Your best bet is to download trial versions for all the major tools and give them a good workout as it usually comes to down to user preference.

4. GusM

GusM

If cost is not factor, your best choice is Blender. Anything you could use in a Unity Iphone game can be done with Blender. And often with a simpler and more productive workflow than with those other big ones.

5. Tysoe

Tysoe

I agree with IslandDreamer. Blender is fantastic for free but doesn't really hold up well against any of autodesk packages. They are definitely worth the money if you are serious and can afford them EVEN when blender is free.

6. GusM

GusM

I disagree: Blender really holds up very well against any Autodesk package, further more if you are only interested in building models for Iphone games. Blender is fantastic but not for being free, but because it is a very good 3D tool. For any serious artist. And more for any serious Unity artists, as his fbx exporter was specifically developed for it.

7. Veli

Veli

Please do go into specifics when making such a comment. Is there something essential for game development that Blender lacks but Autodesk offers?

8. HonorableDaniel

HonorableDaniel

I highly recommend Cheetah 3D. I've been using it for years, and it is very nice. And it works seamlessly with Unity iPhone.

9. tbarbe

tbarbe

I hit reply from my iphone - but apparently I created a new thread...

I wanted to post this here:

hi

thanks for the replies and I hope I'm not flaring any arguments by asking such a question to people who are passionate about their tools!

also I think results speak for themselves...

if you would post the best example you know of as proof of quality?

is there a game ( iPhone ) that shows greatest results?

I'm sure all these tools are capable as any decent tool is made great by great artists... what I do know from my years of 3d app work tho is difficult tools or problems can also be had even if you are a great artist if a tool is a pain in the ass to get things done with... I used to do effects for film and you didn't have time to waste there. I know Maya is the standard for that world... but trust me there were plenty of shots I just got done with other tools as well.

is fbx the preferrred interchange format here?

I was hoping it was collada.... more open.

10. Guru

Guru

Blender is great for sure but it comes down to personal preference...I wish I had never downloaded the Max and Maya trials because I have absolutely fallen in love with them and to me they are more intuitive then Blender is and I am going to be dropping a pretty penny on one of them since I am really into the modeling aspect of things.

11. tbarbe

tbarbe

does cheetah also handle animation well? this is important for me...

I want to be sure I can handle:

animation, models ( low poly ), texturing ( baked on nice renders ), etc.

12. Jessy

Jessy

I can't speak for Max or Softimage, but Maya can't hold up to Blender, because it doesn't work. It doesn't matter that you can snap a screenshot of supposed great features when they crash if you actually try to use them.

13. tbarbe

tbarbe

ok... i just re-looked at Blender after a few years of not looking.

wow. I have to admit... for a FREE tool.. they sure have improved that interface 1000 x since i last saw it. That was my biggest stopping point on Blender previously... the interface had felt so painful that I backed off discovering more.

Now I have to admit - someone has been working hard...the interface is feeling much improved.

So is there a good number of users who can confirm or deny this:

easy to get - models, textures ( Baked? ), animation and etc to and from Blender?

anyone have major complaints about Blender?

Im looking at 2.5alpha right now... does this work for getting stuff in/out of Unity?

Specifically Im wondering about animation.

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I have zero problems getting anything from Blender to Unity using .blend files. But 2.5a is alpha and last I heard some stuff isn't working (it is alpha after all). I use 2.49b.

--Eric

15. Jessy

Jessy

No. 2.5 is far behind schedule. It looks awesome but doesn't do anything we need it to. :p

16. tbarbe

tbarbe

so stick with 2.49B ? and its working ok then?

ok... Ill take a look at that.

Does anyone know if this Verse stuff works? It all sounds great... but vapor ware is useless to real world needs.

17. tbarbe

tbarbe

apparently - you can use 2.5

you can use 2.5 to model ...

then you can import back into 2.49 and animate and etc.. and get it into Unity from there.

Ive just watched a few guys videos using 2.5 for modeling ... it looks to be working just fine for that at least. Thats worth knowing.

18. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Wha?

Maya works fine for me.

And the fact that I could use MEL or Python to create custom tools to do just about anything I want is a big plus.

19. Jessy

Jessy

Holy smokes! You need to have Autodesk dissect you, because you're the only one! :eek:

20. spacefrog

spacefrog

Jessy:
    You think all the major hollywood productions use Maya because it does NOT work ? And a good part (i'm quite sure >98%) of gamedev studios use Max,Maya, Softimage or whatever, but NOT Blender..

Blender is really a great piece of software, but if you want to go professional (and maybe even get a job doing 3D) you got no (or almost zero ) chance if you only can handle Blender...

The big packages DO work (wholly molly - who ever expected THAT ?). If there are troubles there are workarounds till fixes come out. I repeat again Blender is fantastic, but i don't know any professional studio basing their pipeline on it...

21. Jessy

Jessy

I've got no frame of reference for the studios you're talking about, spacefrog. What I do have a frame of reference for, however, is Pro Tools. The biggest audio software out there, and yet, the worst, crash-happy piece of junk tool ever invented for the job. I also have a frame of reference for using Maya myself, along with Blender. Neither one is impressive in its stability, nor is any other 3D tool on the Mac, but Blender definitely trumps Maya.

Studios don't use Maya and Pro Tools because they work, they use them because they used them a long time ago when nothing else existed. And they use them because students were taught how to use the junk tools, and curricula are by necessity always behind the times. If it gets the job done, and people know it, why move on? In addition, people use Maya because it can do more.

I'm not saying Blender's feature set can take on Maya's. But a bunch of healthy police officers have great difficulty taking on a rampaging PCP addict, too.

I also can't at all speak for the other Autodesk tools; I won't touch Windows, but it seems like people are a lot happier with Softimage and Max than with Maya in general.

22. tbarbe

tbarbe

I knew this question might ignite flames...

My original question was about what tools people feel are the best for getting work done in Unity. I understand people will have various results and preferences to their own tool chains.

I wanted to get a generalized view of what people feel is the best resultant pipeline...

If people can show me the best resultant apps and what tools they used that might be more helpful.

For instance I saw a game released and the people used Modo to model and texture the world all low poly so it worked great in Unity...

I hope opinions can be sifted from results... I was hoping to see projects with results?

23. spacefrog

spacefrog

Jessy:

If you want touch Windows, as you say, than you are on an island already. Maya on OSX is not as stable like it's on windows and all the comparing with protools or police ?!?!? does'nt make any sense...
    Maya, Max, Softimage, Houdini etc all are tools being used for astonishing output, and not "because people are used to use them". Blender is a good tool for sure too (hence the blender shorts like Big fat bunny), but as i said, it's no way established in the professional sector.
    I'm quite sure if one starts out doing 3d work for Unity, and is starting with Blender, all is fine and Blender will be enough. Start to work in the field, involving data exchange or pipeline integration
    you'll soon loose any possibility to connect. Again Blender is great, because you are going free and it's totally capable (featurewise) - but turning down the "expensive" packages while not having in-depth experience is plain inappropriate.

To the OP:

Every tool - be it Modo, Lightwave, Blener , Max, Maya etc... can produce the greatest stuff an artist can produce. So i would recommend getting demos for all of them and do sessions of 20 minutes in each, and see what interface suits your personal preference. There is no BEST package, this does not exist, only in marketing speech. So as i said take a 20 minute look to all of them and choose the one you feel most confortable with...

24. Catie Catterwaul

Catie Catterwaul

Let me just say, from the perspective of a student learning this stuff from industry professionals, I have been constantly shocked at the broken state of "industry standard" software. In my last 2-3 semesters, through modeling, texturing, rigging, (and don't even get me started on ZBrush) classes at least HALF of what I learn is some kind of hack or work-around. I have basically been taught never to expect anything to work as advertised, from any software package at any price point. The notion that software works because it is a) expensive or b) ubiquitous in the industry is at best a fantasy and at worst an outright lie.

My rigging instructor just ended our class discussions for the semester with tidbits like "Now you will know to be nice to your riggers, because when we tell you that Maya is just being difficult and broken, you know we are not lying" and "Sometimes you just have to restart Maya two or three times and then something that previously wouldn't work will work just fine."

In my personal experience using Maya, I have to restart it to accomplish feats like getting the render settings dialogue box to appear. It will recognize my SpaceNavigator one out of every maybe 5 times I start it. I choose to use Blender on my own time because at least (again, in my personal experience) it is consistent in terms of what is working/broken every time I start it up.

25. Jessy

Jessy

It's not. If it doesn't work, I don't care at all what people can do with it. It's garbage. My life is spent using the tools, not just consuming the result of them, like most people will be doing. I completely understand how some people are more concerned about the result of a team working through software hardship, in order to make an impressive production, but that's not how I choose to spend my life. The video game industry is rife with stories about people quitting early because the work is so terrible. I won't have that affect my quality of life.

Maya makes me angry because it performs so badly. That's perfectly understandable, and something like that doesn't have a place in my life.

26. tbarbe

tbarbe

ha... I knew this thread would just devolve. agh . haha.

Ill add to it... yea software can suck at ANY price and at any level of popularity.

thats probably why I ended up sticking with a majority of my effects shots in tools that just work most of the time...

Thats why Im asking here... which games are the best quality that you have seen and what tools did those guys use to do so? at least then you know the tool worked for said project.

I used to use Electric Image to do effects work - and it worked for a good 80% of the shots needed... and it worked fast and was solid during those times it was needed. There may have been tons of more powerful apps out there - but in the end it was about getting it done and the quality of the results was more about the artistic capability of the user...

After Effects is also one of those apps that just gets it done...

Ive been tinkering with Blender now for a few days and I have to say - the 2.49 version is relatively stable so far... and after getting thru a few interface tutorials I think I am understanding its methodology a bit more...

I'd love to see projects linked here that have great results with Unity and XYZ tool chain... so far I've seen only religious experiences about which app is better without any proof of pudding.

anyone?

27. tbarbe

tbarbe

28. Jessy

Jessy

Maya was used for the Unity demos, as far as I know, considering Ethan uses Maya, also, as far as I know.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/author/ethan/

Good stuff. I don't like Maya, but I do like Ethan, and he seems to have a handle on it, even without using a SpaceNavigator. :wink:

29. tbarbe

tbarbe

this is a great example of tools that appear to be working nicely.

http://www.hankendesigns.com/Portfolio/Scripts.html

it looks like Modo to Unity makes for easy model / rendering of textures and replacing those in Unity with least amount of pain... or at least from what I see here in this video.

Can you get this similar workflow with other apps? C4D? Maya? bake textures out and easily replace and swap as needed?

30. Jessy

Jessy

Yes. modo's a good tool, but it doesn't have bone-based animation yet (despite a preview of it several years ago), and you can't use .lxo's directly in Unity. So I would not call the Modo -> Unity workflow good, as compared to the other tools that have more checkmarks at the bottom:

http://unity3d.com/unity/features/asset-importing

Doesn't mean you can't make good stuff with it, especially rigidbody props. It's just annoying to have to manually export a .fbx whenever you make a change. Maybe somebody has scripted a fix for this?

31. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I'm going to have to disagree.

Our studio uses Maya because it a great tool for the job.

I also have friends that work at some major animation studios that use Maya because of its extensibility. It is probably the best 3D DCC software when it comes to customization.

32. Jessy

Jessy

i.e., You have to rewrite it because otherwise it doesn't work by itself. You may want to create a 3D animation package with Unity instead.

But if extensibility is what's important to you, you can't do better than Blender.

33. spacefrog

spacefrog

Jessy:
    You are totally wrong - but of course you are free to keep on being so...
    Anyway - you just got me started with the line "Maya does not work" - and that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read and being stated by a person seeming to be quite active on a somewhat 3d technology-related forum. I know you'll stay with your wrong conclusions and keep on posting about them, so be it - it's a free world :D.

34. Jessy

Jessy

I actually won't keep on posting about it because I can't argue with insanity. But I have plenty of substantiated proof that I'm not wrong. You can read what Catie said; I'll continue to trust her teachers, her classmates, and me, who I've actually seen try to use Maya, which does in fact not work 80-90% of the time. I just round up and call that "not working"; technically not correct, but close enough when you actually need to use something. I've got a couple people telling me that it's fine, here, and hundreds of people I know saying otherwise.

Autodesk acknowledges that they can't write the software properly, but at least they try to provide you with a list of how to deal with that.
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13710407&linkID=10809894

35. spacefrog

spacefrog

It's okay - nice to call people insane actually but i don't really care. There's a difference between TRYING to use software (which means giving up early at some point) and actually use and master software. This is not a 5 button "click your art" package and you have to actually LEARN using it. You seem to be a person who is quickly blaming software for not being able to master it, that's okay, but do not state "DOES NOT WORK" hiding the aspect that you did'nt catch it.

Additionally you seriously try to bring an argument here against that packages, because they recieve servicepacks and hotfixes? Because of that they do NOT WORK ?
    You have to live in a world were the most complicated software you use is notepad (or in OSX terms textedit), because those things were never updated AFAIK. And of course you do not use Unity at all - because it TOO recieved updates - so it isn't working ... right ?
    This is my last post about the subject too, so you can live happily ever after without ever having to apply servicepacks or hotfixes for anything...

36. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

These "my 3D app is better than your 3D app" threads never really accomplish much IMO. It's been, what, a couple months since the last one? Guess we were over due. :roll:

37. spacefrog

spacefrog

bigkahuna:
    yeah .. totally true...
    usually i keep totally out of them but this one was different, with the bold "MAYA DOESN'T WORK" statement (i'm a Max user by the way ;-) )

So Jessy:
    i apologize for every thing said too emotionally and hope it all does'nt leave some bad feelings or whatever. Let's put this matter to rest and let both of us have his/her very own opinion...

38. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

No. You're understanding it wrong.

I mean that it's extensible in the sense that you could customize it to work with any pipeline you have or want. You could integrate it with just any other tool, in-house or 3rd party. You could automate any repetitive task. You could even customize each desktop to the particular animator's personal workflow.

And calling people who have success using it insane? What's that about?

I'm insane because I am able to use the software without problems?

Pixar is insane? ILM is insane?

39. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I think it's great to compare and contrast 3D apps.

Different apps will be right for different purposes, different budgets, and different goals, and different skill levels.

But app bashing is pretty silly.

40. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yup, I'm all for "objective" comparisons, but it seems that people have a hard time remaining objective and open minded when it comes to a number of subjects, this being one of them. Historically (and there have been many of these threads in the past) these threads turn to name calling and insults which just drags the community down a notch. Why anyone could care that someone else uses one tool versus another is beyond me. But no matter how this thread ends I can -guarantee- it's not the last one. Stick around a while and I'm sure we'll see another of them...

41. Filto

Filto

In realtime graphics we are using a very small portion of what any 3d software offers. It is very basic and they all handle them well. If you can't get it to work for you it really isn't the app that sucks.

42. Quietus2

Quietus2

I'd recommend Modo. I love modo. Modeling, baking, sculpting, painting. Everything about the program is drenched in awesome-sauce.

I sure hope they finish it soon. The interface you get with 2.49 feels like a GUI version of coding in AWK. I need an osx animation and rigging tool.

43. xixac

xixac

I can whole-heatedly recommend C4D. It is stable as a rock and does everything I need - animation, texture and lightmap baking, great pipeline into UT, easy to do low poly stuff. I tested various others like Modo,Maya, Lightwave and Blender. In general AutoDesk scares me. Once they acquire a title it is pretty much done for. Also, I don't like dongles or 3-button mice (doing a lot of stuff on the MacBook). Blender 2.49 crashes badly on some Macs. Modo is really great especially for modeling, but still lacks a lot of features. So - maybe get the demo and definitely check out the free tuts at Cinevision.

44. bezoris

bezoris

Realize this is a somewhat stale thread...

Being in an almost identical position to the OP, I too was interested in the answer to this question. As in, fanboyism aside, is there current consensus about the most painless (glitch-free) Unity work-flow? Probably not, but I think it's a fair question -- especially for newbees and returning developers.

For what it's worth, I've had no issues/problems using Blender or Maya; currently loving up zBrush and C4D.

Best.

Edit // Perhaps the original question could be reframed to good effect by incorporating budgetary constraints.

e.g.

Best pipeline for:

Hobbyists (read: broke)
    Indie developers (read: almost broke)
    Small studios (under $2000 tool budget, or some other arbitrary number)
    Industry development (price no object; with standards constraints)

...though I suspect that even this discussion would devolve in to squabbles about preferred toolsets at each price point.

45. Manishtushu

Manishtushu

There's really no such thing as a painless and glitch free workflow. Things have been improving in recent years, certainly. I have been having fewer and fewer crashes and glitches in my preferred software (I use Max, ZBrush, Photoshop for Unity assets), so much so that I've had to rethink my previous biases on the matter. When things get unstable, it's usually expected: massive scenes with high poly counts and adding in complex operations. I can only vaguely remember my last crash, at least a month or so ago.

If I were pressed to give advice on the matter, though, this would be it:

The investment you're looking at is going to be in your time to learn the software, which can overshadow the actual cost of the software itself. Don't make the mistake of undervaluing your time in this equation. You might be surprised, but which software is "best" doesn't really come into the equation.

For a hobbyist that only plans to make models for Unity, you can't really go wrong with Blender. The price is right and it's more than powerful enough to satisfy the requirements of a small game developer.

If you want to break in to the industry, either Max or Maya would be your best bet. They're amazing tools, and as has been pointed out before a lot of studios use them because of inertia. Switching would be just too costly and make it even harder to find experienced artists.

The reason I use Max is based solely around the fact that I've already been using it for my day job. It's paid for, I'm familiar with it, there's no reason to switch. One thing I would encourage any serious artist to pick up though, is ZBrush. It's reasonably priced, has free upgrades and using a sculpting program is almost essential to create next-gen models.

One note about trying out demos is that a demo will hardly give you a good idea of how that program is to work with. You could be switching to an equal or even better program and you would still find it clunky, awkward and slow to use just because you are so entrenched in the workflow of your original program. That reason is why I can't trust anyone who says "I tried using X program and it was horrible, I went back to Y."

46. Tysoe

Tysoe

In the end the artist has to pick the tool that suits them personally. Just like different artists like different mediums 3D apps all do the same thing but go about it slightly differently. Different artists will naturally adapt to different app workflows and find one more intuitive and easier to work with than another.

I personally prefer 3dsmax over Lightwave and maya for modeling, those being the three apps I have used in the past. Sometimes it depends on the kind of assets you are using. Animators often favour Maya, Environment artists Max, character modelers either.

For unity, anything that works with .fbx properly should be as good as any other as far as pipeline to the engine goes.

47. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

I know that my opinion is not popular but it is my opinion

None of them even if you are a milionaire

These softwares have been designed to make movies not for games
    You will be using just a fraction of their power but you waste a lot of time which you should better use to acquire other skills ( programming, AI, game play, debugging..experience ) which are much more useful if you really wanto to....finish a game

Go for essential tools such as MilkShape and fragmotion
    After designing 3 or 4 ( simple ) games you can think of MAYA 3DMAX

Top priority is...make a game first

My two cents

48. Tiles

Tiles

Neither the outdated Milkshape nor the limited Fragmotion is really a substitute for a full 3D package. Working with the full package is in most cases faster and better. Because these softwares are made to create 3D graphics in an up to date fashion, not just a small aspect of it with outdated and limited tools :)

49. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Go through the "Game list" here on Unity tell me which one really need the use of so sophisticated 3d tool

"Batman Streets..." or " enercities .." or "foreign legion .." or "Star wars " or "XXXXX "may be ?

My suggstion to a beginner is
    First learn how to develop these kind of games

It takes years :eek:

Afterwards think of 3dMax

50. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

If money is "no object", then hire an artist or buy pre-made art and spend the time you save on the design of your game. :wink: