Search Unity

Bug Latest 2019 LTS breaks VS integration. Development basically impossible without fix.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SoftwareGeezers, Dec 18, 2021.

1. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Prompted to upgrade to the latest LTS version, 2019.4.34f1 from 2019.4.33f1. Do that. Now code is messed up in VS.

upload_2021-12-18_18-48-44.png

The VS integration packages are reportedly "Up To Date".

All my Unity keywords are missing from autocomplete and my code is awash with errors, making it basically unworkable. How do I fix?

2. spiney199

spiney199

Have you gone through the usual process of Edit -> Preferences -> External Tools -> Regenerate Project files yet?

There's a few other steps one can take when Visual Studio integration breaks. I'll let Mr @Kurt-Dekker swoop in with usual, more comprehensive post.

SoftwareGeezers and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Spiney plays Summon Kurt... it was highly effective!

This may help you with intellisense and possibly other Visual Studio integration problems:

Sometimes the fix is as simple as doing Assets -> Open C# Project from Unity. Other times it requires more.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/intellisense-not-working-with-visual-studio-fix.836599/

Also, try update the VSCode package inside of Unity: Window -> Package Manager -> Search for Visual Studio Code Editor -> Press the Update button

Also, this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/no-suggestions-in-vscode.955197/#post-6227874

SoftwareGeezers likes this.
  4. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Okay. I downgraded the project back to 33 yesterday to work. With the above advice, I moved back to 34 just, and it's fine, no issues.

If the transition process can randomly break this way and there are no fixes, I kinda feel there ought to be a 'Fix Upgrade Project' menu item somewhere.

What is it about Unity's upgrade process that results in inconsistent behaviour in the first place?

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Visual Studio.

This is a simple case of VS losing its mind, a common enough occurrence in every context where it is used. The solution is the same as with most software: wipe out the config files, regenerate them, reinstall, reboot your computer, etc.

SoftwareGeezers likes this.